Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

That's a bummer. I had a few sets of tickets with them for shows that got cancelled. I had tickets for about 20 gigs in 2020 and the Hideaway were the only one to call me and ask me if I wanted a refund.

I told them to keep my money in the pot and let me know how it goes. The lady said she would put a credit on my account.

I later followed up to see how it was all going and got no reply, so I wasn't feeling very hopeful they would return.

It had become one of my favourite nights out.

Also very sad to see this. I had so many great times at The Hideaway. The Sunday Lunch gigs were brilliant with a good value roast. I always thought the sound was excellent. It was one of the venues that i was most looking forward to re-opening.

Scoop (Streatham Common Cooperative) - are trying to get the paddling pool open in May on Streatham Common - unfortunately it was too difficult last year, but this year if enough people join the crowdfunder, they should be able to do it. It's free to visit and there aren't many places like it on a nice day for small children locally. Lambeth stopped funding it in 2016 and it's now run by volunteers, donations and a small staff. It's free to visit. details at Streatham Common Co-operative - Pool

Scoop (Streatham Common Cooperative) - are trying to get the paddling pool open in May on Streatham Common - unfortunately it was too difficult last year, but this year if enough people join the crowdfunder, they should be able to do it. It's free to visit and there aren't many places like it on a nice day for small children locally. Lambeth stopped funding it in 2016 and it's now run by volunteers, donations and a small staff. It's free to visit. details at Streatham Common Co-operative - Pool

This is all good and reminds me of Grove Adventure playground in LJ.

I had Consultation meeting this afternoon.

An issue is how Council is keen to offload these necessary services for young people onto volunteers in the community.

That's when these 'Labour" Cllrs on their big allowances are not trying to sell off public assets.

Came up today as apparently Council are thinking of making micro grants on public space I deal with.

I feel Governments and Councils are to keen to see voluntary efforts as the way forward.

The reason they do this, whilst we pay their hefty allowances through Council tax, is that it does not cost them anything.

This is all good and reminds me of Grove Adventure playground in LJ.

I had Consultation meeting this afternoon.

An issue is how Council is keen to offload these necessary services for young people onto volunteers in the community.

That's when these 'Labour" Cllrs on their big allowances are not trying to sell off public assets.

Came up today as apparently Council are thinking of making micro grants on public space I deal with.

I feel Governments and Councils are to keen to see voluntary efforts as the way forward.

The reason they do this, whilst we pay their hefty allowances through Council tax, is that it does not cost them anything.
I agree, it would be great if Lambeth could pay for all of these things, but I guess they have to prioritise as budgets have been cut - housing/mental health etc appear to be the more immediate needs. I also think that when community gets involved, a different (better) outcome can be achieved. I've been involved with Brixton Windmill (not the pub) for almost 18 years now! What was once a derelict and unused building (once restored and allowed to fall into disrepair by Lambeth) has been transformed into a working mill, the park is well used by the local community both informally and for organised events, now we have a new community centre and employ 2 part time staff. This just would never have happened if the Council alone were 'running' the Windmill. During the pandemic we were able to quickly move to supplying flour to food banks and creating online and offline activities for local children. I've had the opportunity to meet and volunteer with lots of people who I might not have known otherwise and feel like part of something amazing. Nothing is perfect, but if the community can achieve something like this when Lambeth can't/won't, then why not?
The voluntary sector is HUGE in the UK, we have a long history of mutal aid, volunteering and support- if it disappeared overnight, the whole system would probably collapse.

I agree, it would be great if Lambeth could pay for all of these things, but I guess they have to prioritise as budgets have been cut - housing/mental health etc appear to be the more immediate needs. I also think that when community gets involved, a different (better) outcome can be achieved. I've been involved with Brixton Windmill (not the pub) for almost 18 years now! What was once a derelict and unused building (once restored and allowed to fall into disrepair by Lambeth) has been transformed into a working mill, the park is well used by the local community both informally and for organised events, now we have a new community centre and employ 2 part time staff. This just would never have happened if the Council alone were 'running' the Windmill. During the pandemic we were able to quickly move to supplying flour to food banks and creating online and offline activities for local children. I've had the opportunity to meet and volunteer with lots of people who I might not have known otherwise and feel like part of something amazing. Nothing is perfect, but if the community can achieve something like this when Lambeth can't/won't, then why not?
The voluntary sector is HUGE in the UK, we have a long history of mutal aid, volunteering and support- if it disappeared overnight, the whole system would probably collapse.

Lambeth can find funding when it wants. Take the anti terrorist bollards on Windrush sq. It decided to use CIL/Section 106 money to do this. Money that should have gone to community infrastructure. If you are the Council you can do this kind of thing.

Also a distinction needs to be made between volunteering and funding.

I remember when former Council leader Steve Reed started the Coop Council he said this would not be used to get volunteers to run services

There is a role for volunteers. But this is add on role. It should not be taking on full responsibility for running services.

Same with funding. Charity funding was about extras not core funding. Its now increasingly that projects have to seek all funding from charities. This is highly time consuming.

The Windmill is success. But these projects are on flimsy ground. They depend on one or two leading personalities to dedicate a lot of time to raising funds and dealing with Council. If some one gets sick or has to give up projects falter.

Despite being a Coop Council for years little has changed in how officers deal with resident led projects.

With the Cabinet system back bench Cllrs are terrified at prospect of criticising officers. So community projects get little or none practical support from Cllrs/officers.

It would help if local Cllrs would champion projects rather than wait for them to be a success. At which point they say well done. Which is what happened over the Grove APG.

The other issue with running services through volunteers is that it excludes input by those who are time poor.

Many people work a lot of hours and don't have a lot of time. I have a little time but not enough to manage a project.

As this is a Coop Council idea was that Council would enable and support community to run projects. This clearly hasn't happened. If any thing I find the Council obstructive.

On the issue of excluding people who are time poor - a good voluntary organisation will have different roles for volunteers depending on skills, availability etc. For example at the Windmill, I do fundraising, which can take a lot of time, but my other half bakes the odd cake for open days, which is little time commitment and very flexible. He could, if he chose, be reimbursed for the ingredients.
IME projects, always need leading personalities - whether they are in private, public or voluntary sector. Sure, in an ideal world Lambeth would have restored the windmill, organised a gang of volunteer flour millers, built the new Windmill Centre, run events, tours and a schools education programme, employed members of staff etc- but in lieu of that, the local community have stepped up to provide a service to itself, which I think it something to be celebrated.

On the issue of excluding people who are time poor - a good voluntary organisation will have different roles for volunteers depending on skills, availability etc. For example at the Windmill, I do fundraising, which can take a lot of time, but my other half bakes the odd cake for open days, which is little time commitment and very flexible. He could, if he chose, be reimbursed for the ingredients.
IME projects, always need leading personalities - whether they are in private, public or voluntary sector. Sure, in an ideal world Lambeth would have restored the windmill, organised a gang of volunteer flour millers, built the new Windmill Centre, run events, tours and a schools education programme, employed members of staff etc- but in lieu of that, the local community have stepped up to provide a service to itself, which I think it something to be celebrated.

I'm not having a go at the Windmill here.

On leading personalities.

This is problematic way of running things imo. Take Kids Company. An example of an organisation with a leading personality. This led to its downfall.

It can, from my experience, to projects being run as benevolent dictatorships. This can get things done and can work.

I would not however say its a good thing.

Anybody know what they're filming by the church next to the leisure centre? There were trailers outside last week and this, and when I went walked through the new flat to the Earl Ferrers on Saturday there were a lot of film trailers parked up behind.

Young man (late teens) fatally stabbed in Prentis Road, Streatham yesterday at about 4 pm. Seven people have been arrested. ☹️
Anyone with any information is asked to call police on 101 quoting CAD 5897/10JUNE

Last edited:
Young man (late teens) fatally stabbed in Prentis Road, Streatham yesterday at about 4 pm. Seven people have been arrested. ☹️
Anyone with any information is asked to call police on 101 quoting CAD 5897/10JUNE

Reports suggest that the child was chased, by up to 10 others armed with machetes and other knives, for 200 yards along Streatham High Road to Prentis Road, where he was cornered outside a postal delivery office and stabbed in the chest. The postal workers tried to save his life.

The fact that several arrests have been made at an early stage in the investigation may suggest that the police have a reasonable idea of who may have been responsible for this particular lynching.

Anyone with information about the incident should use the details cited in the previous post.

Reports suggest that the child was chased, by up to 10 others armed with machetes and other knives, for 200 yards along Streatham High Road to Prentis Road, where he was cornered outside a postal delivery office and stabbed in the chest. The postal workers tried to save his life.

The fact that several arrests have been made at an early stage in the investigation may suggest that the police have a reasonable idea of who may have been responsible for this particular lynching.

Anyone with information about the incident should use the details cited in the previous post.

The murdered child has been named as 17-year old Denardo Samuels-Brooks.

2_Denardo-Samuels-Brooks-1.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Four young people were charged with his murder: Umar Salami, 18 (16.10.02), of Addiscombe Grove, Croydon, Denzel Kwateng, 19 (14.05.02), of Parkway, New Addington, Andre Headley, 18 (12.11.02), of Prentis Road, SW16, and a 17-year-old boy from the Croydon area who cannot currently be named for legal reasons.

Following Denardo Samuels-Brooks' murder, Lambeth Council circulated a letter to residents in and around Streatham seeking to reassure them and the local Member of Parliament, Bell Ribeiro-Addy MP wrote an article on the issues around youth safety.

View attachment 291206

Streatham Festival is back for 2021 with a live programme of events 8-17th October

www.streathamfestival.com

View attachment 291205
Family Events at the Rookery – This Saturday
16 October @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
A FREE EVENT FOR ALL THE FAMILY!

Bring your family and friends to enjoy the Rookery Farmer’s Market and a variety of fun events and absorbing activities!
The Market will be in full swing with a selection of popular stalls selling fresh produce, artisan edibles, crafts and street food.
Anthony Gold Solicitors are proud sponsors of the Streatham Festival Family Events day programme.
https://streathamfestival.com/.../family-events-at-the.../
Here's the programme for the day and
PLEASE NOTE the earlier than previously published start time for THE TOP HAT SHOW of 11:45am
🎩
😅

Events and Market start from 10:00am

Chess. Check it out! 10:00 am – 3.00pm
https://streathamfestival.com/event/chess-check-it-out/

Norvil and Josephine : The Top Hat Show first performance @ 11.45am
https://streathamfestival.com/.../norvil.../2021-10-16/

12.30pm Sarah Redmond's Young Drama Group present
A History of Streatham in 15 mins

Musical Youth Showcase:
12:50pm Felix Gillingwater - singer and pianist
13.10pm Bing Bong - Band
13.30pm Louis the DJ
13.45pm Louis the DJ & Gym Group Dance Fit Class for the kids
14.15pm Louis the DJ

14.30pm Norvil and Josephine: The Top Hat Show
2nd performance

Sorry for the Daily Heil link
Female runner raped on Streatham Common North early hours (5am) of 23 December
Anyone with info should call 101 quoting CAD 1936/28 Dec
Attacker described as tall male, athletic build, English accent.

Does anyone know of any so friendly hotels anywhere south- Streatham, Brixton, Clapham, Tooting, Wandsworth ??? Thanks asking for a friend

Did you mean so friendly? I live in Streatham Hill and my folks always stay at the Premier Inn in Brixton when down from Scotland. Surprisingly quiet despite its location above the Prince of Wales!

I'm sure the poster asked about dog friendly hotels. Which is also a good question as they seem harder to find than dog-friendly pubs.

Did you mean so friendly? I live in Streatham Hill and my folks always stay at the Premier Inn in Brixton when down from Scotland. Surprisingly quiet despite its location above the Prince of Wales!

I would have thought they used ridiculous sound insulation for that hotel. Some of the rooms back onto the smoking area of the pub where late on a busy night will naturally be pretty loud. Im sure the late night parties on the roof would be a cacophony of noise too if you were trying to get to sleep in a building a matter of metres away.

I need to move to Streatham in a couple of months but since when did rooms in average houses cost £800pcm plus bills?

Rooms in Streatham should be about 500-600, maybe as much as £700 if the room is big and the house a high standard. If landlords are now charging more than that its down to pure greed, or milking tenants to offset inflation so they can maintain a certain lifestyle.

Since they cost alot more than that in Brixton. ☹️
I hope you manage to find somewhere reasonable.
The gap is closing :(
Rooms in Streatham should be about 500-600, maybe as much as £700 if the room is big and the house a high standard. If landlords are now charging more than that its down to pure greed, or milking tenants to offset inflation so they can maintain a certain lifestyle.
It seems Streatham is now in demand so estate agents and landlords are getting in on the act.
I really like the area and after years in the wilderness of Palace want to move closer to work in Brixton.

Back
Top Bottom