Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star Trek: Picard [spoilers]

did no one watch the last season

and

Agnes-Borgrati.jpg

:hmm:
Yes massive plot hole. I guess you just ignore it. Unless they explain it all, but even Picard didn't seem to notice the discontinuity. It was all going so well

Yes massive plot hole. I guess you just ignore it. Unless they explain it all, but even Picard didn't seem to notice the discontinuity. It was all going so well
Apparently there are 2 sets of borg and 2 borg queens. It's all to do with parelel universes and timelines or something :hmm: was in link i posted
i would just go with it! :D

Apparently there are 2 sets of borg and 2 borg queens. It's all to do with parelel universes and timelines or something :hmm: was in link i posted
i would just go with it! :D
Borg Queen in the blah blah sector was from the alternate timeline Picard and pals found themselves in in season 2. The Borg Queen from that timeline travelled back with the heroes to nowadays turned out to just be lonely, made a friend and hung around for four hundred years while the federation was built etc to help out with something.

I thought that was the worst episode of the season so far. I think they brought the D back in a vaguely plausible way and it was good if a little gratuitous seeing them all back on the bridge. The whole borg/changeling team up was lame. The Borg are all "her" now. The borg completed their terrible evolution into a Queen and her slaves from the powerful collective mind they started out as. The whole mind control thing feels a bit overblown. Ships versus crews would have been a more interesting way to go.

I hate the idea transporters use temp files to fill in genetic code. It doesn't really fit with how they've been shown to work. DNA is also a lot more than nucleotides and by just copying a set of letters your ignoring alsorts of epigenetic and conformational changes that have important roles in gene expression and the like.

without getting too much into spoiler territory has this episode not made transporter tech more scary
deconstruction and replication against a common template

without getting too much into spoiler territory has this episode not made transporter tech more scary
deconstruction and replication against a common template

Yes. It's just weird. If the changelings could hack in and alter the template then they could have used it in so many other ways that I'm not sure why they'd need the borg at all. It also implies that the transporter is a kill and clone device. It would also suggest that they could simply turn anyone into the transmitter without a 30 year lag. Changeling transporter chief in the Titan could have taken the scans of Jack (these are used to compare the individual in transport to those from earlier scans of the individual to detect differences caused by pathogens or weapons etc) created during transport and sent them elsewhere to whip up a copy. Unless the damn thing can only use the genetic code as a template which seems odd as it's all just matter. What about cargo transporters? All just a bit wierd. Altering the coding in the replicators to produce a gene editing virus would make more sense. The founders were excellent genetic engineers breeding entire species and creating advanced biological weapons.

There's also the idea that the transporters use some sort of heuristic to rebuild people at the other end, hence remembering an outline of a human genome. Which you wouldn't think they'd need to do if the transporter scanned the subject completely and produced an exact copy. If it's just cobbling some shit together every time based on a broad outline of what a human should look like at the molecular lever, I'll take a shuttle instead thanks.

i seem to recall the Enterprise D having a massive crew complement that it also included schools and groceries and coffee shops. 1000 odd people. Surely Picard is going to need someone to, I don't know, stoke the warp drive, or operate all the systems that arne't on the bridge!

Yes it's pedantry. Make it so

There's also the idea that the transporters use some sort of heuristic to rebuild people at the other end, hence remembering an outline of a human genome. Which you wouldn't think they'd need to do if the transporter scanned the subject completely and produced an exact copy. If it's just cobbling some shit together every time based on a broad outline of what a human should look like at the molecular lever, I'll take a shuttle instead thanks.
you're just a plain old country doctor

i seem to recall the Enterprise D having a massive crew complement that it also included schools and groceries and coffee shops. 1000 odd people. Surely Picard is going to need someone to, I don't know, stoke the warp drive, or operate all the systems that arne't on the bridge!

Nah, as we all know the same 6/7 core high rank officers are all the ship needs to be functional. La Forge and Data can look after all the engineering and computing issues, Worf is their security muscle, and Crusher and Troi will cover their physical and mental wellbeing.

No bar service, spa treatments and suchlike amenities though, but then Picard never had much need for those.

nerd moment.. remember when data was called by his da locked out the entire crew and took the ship on a little jaunt

some automation is on the ship.. also the mentioned drones loading torpedos so could have simular little bots like disco

Not counting their spouses and children, obviously most of the several hundred Starfleet members aboard the Enterprise are basically five years’ worth of expendable crew member provisions.

Reactions: Ax^
100% going to be a Star Trek spinoff, isn't there - I'm all for it if its the same vain as this series. Hopefully with a bit of Strange New Worlds story telling thrown in.

So are they angling for a spinoff?

Didn't like the very very end bit. Competely unnecessary. Guess the writers this year really hated season 2 :D

Otherwise very entertaining. I think I'm Trekked out now.

The way they wrapped it up was rather obvious, but really enjoyed all the character work in this series. Dorn really stole the show as a whole, and we also liked Brent Spiner's human-Data-with-a-hint-of-Soong. Also did like an older and more cynical Deanna - I think they were letting Marina Sirtis show more of her own personality into the role; if you ever hear an interview with her she's fucking hilarious.

hmm was a lovely send off that sets up star trek legacy very well

who does not want to see captain seven enter a five year mission

melgrew still being a bit bitchy by not returning for a camo or even a hit at someone looking after her career

who call Q return early in the thread

It could have done without the Borg. Borg queen as Bond villain. Bullshit.
Otherwise enjoyed most of it though.
That's always been the problem witht her. I've always thought putting a face on the hivemind was a mistake. Locutus was a bit different because it was Picard being abducted. But initially the Borg were just inscrutable and impossible to negotiate. Once you insert a human(oid) face, that falls away.

That's always been the problem witht her. I've always thought putting a face on the hivemind was a mistake. Locutus was a bit different because it was Picard being abducted. But initially the Borg were just inscrutable and impossible to negotiate. Once you insert a human(oid) face, that falls away.
At least in First Contact she seemed a part of the collective but by Voyager she is having to watch events transpire on a view screen and talk aloud to the collective then eventually this nonsense.

The way they wrapped it up was rather obvious, but really enjoyed all the character work in this series. Dorn really stole the show as a whole, and we also liked Brent Spiner's human-Data-with-a-hint-of-Soong. Also did like an older and more cynical Deanna - I think they were letting Marina Sirtis show more of her own personality into the role; if you ever hear an interview with her she's fucking hilarious.

Yeah, in terms of an overall connected Picard arc laughably bad, but don't care - was an excellent bit of character-driven telly. Continuity is a fine thing to strive for, but if a thing's not working, and you've got some fun ideas that don't really fit, by all means get hand wavy and fudgy.

That said, even within the series story arc, the borg/changeling thing could have been developed somewhat better. Still, enjoyed.

Just finished it and a joy from start to finish. Much as loved the first two seasons, this one was what the fans had been waiting for.

Best fan service since the recent Spiderman movie.

Amanda Plummer and the business in the nebula reminded a bit of Wrath of Khan, and she was clearly having a ball :)

Just finished series three (gave up after the first two episodes of S1, but took the advice of many and skipped ahead) and fucking loved it. The movie that TNG deserved, spread over ten hours! Never heard anything good about Discovery so never bothered with it, but presumably Star Trek: Titan will take it's place?

star trek legacy if it happens, the remained the ship enterprise go back and watch the credits if you missed that

if you got access try strange new worlds its more like old trek that discovery

saying that i don't hate the first season of discovery myself :)

Shit I forgot, of course, they renamed the ship. Bollocks, actually, as Shelby's Enterprise F was clearly superior, and the Enterprise should be the flagship and the best.

star trek legacy if it happens, the remained the ship enterprise go back and watch the credits if you missed that

if you got access try strange new worlds its more like old trek that discovery

saying that i don't hate the first season of discovery myself :)
Would say first two seasons of Disco are great fun and initially season 3, before it dulls out.

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom