Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spurs 2023/24

Cerberus is it getting a bit ugly in your corner of NWHL yet? Something seemed desperately wrong with our flanks today, but I don’t really know whether it was our former stand-in CBs at FB, Son and Kulu being off for most of the game, or Angeball having been worked out now by all his peers. Maybe a bit of all three.
Our full backs are our most important players. Not necessarily best, but most important. It's a really odd combination of flat back 4 fullbacks and attacking central midfielders, with a really quick transition between the two positions; this is where we get our numerical overloads to set up the intricate little passing lanes.

It would be a unique skill set for a player to have, except we've somehow got 2 of them. We don't have 4 - Davies and Emerson were both getting into the right positions further forward, but looked like full backs playing No 10 and everything was slow. I reckon we can get away without 1 at any given time, but not both.

Not ugly exactly Silas, just mildly miffed. Perhaps it’s the realisation that this club will always find a way to disappoint!

This result has been coming for a while now. We haven’t played well for a long time. Wolves (another bogey club) set up well, looked lethal on their counters and took their chances.

We can discuss full backs at length but if you can’t hold the ball up, bring others into play, beat your man or shoot then you’ll be found out….and we have.

7th or 8th if we are lucky

No match this weekend, so youth watch time.

Spurs U21s are absolutely flying. P12, W11 D1 L0.

Will Lankshear (18, CF) scored a hattrick yesterday (now has 11 in 11), and wasn't even the best player on the pitch. Jamie Donley (19, AM) playing centre midfield took that accolade with 4 assists, and by all accounts is basically a clone of James Maddison in the way he plays.

Alfie Dorrington (18, CB) didn't play but has been talked about before, extremely promising.

Ashley Phillips (18, CB) has been getting rave reviews in his small handful of games on loan at Plymouth - only 3 matches as a sample size, but early indications are that he's already too good to be playing in a mid table championship side.

Alfie Devine (19, CM) is also at Plymouth, having previously been too good for Port Vale in League 1. Really good technically, very tidy little player but I think he'll end up competing with Donley for a path to the first team and JD looks to have the higher ceiling to me.

In a year or 2 there's a very good crop going to be ready to be integrated into the first team - of all of them Phillips might well be the first. The slight blot on the copybook is that the last batch haven't really made the grade; Troy Parrott is doing really well in the Netherlands with Excelsior but is already 22 and unlikely to come back to our first team, and Dane Scarlett really struggled at Ipswich (and is currently playing second fiddle to Lankshear in the U21s). Tanganga (the last great defensive hope) is already 24 and on his way out, leaving Skipp as the only recent academy graduate to make an impression.

So. Palace today. A few injuries (frustrating after a two week break). Not usually happy about long breaks in the season - upsets rhythm BUT there wasn’t much rhythm about our recent performances anyway!!

Expecting Palace to set up like Wolves did. Pessimistic

No Porro or Richarlison, probably. Udogie the more likely to play of the full backs.

Werner and Son to be interchangeable left wing and centre forward? In a way, Palace's change of manager could help; Hodgson would have them set up with a low defensive line, early impressions of Glasner are that he will try and have them play a bit more on the front foot which could leave a bit of space for our speed merchants.

Vicario
Emerson Romero VDV Udogie
Bissouma
Sarr Maddison
Kulu --- Werner --- Son​

Austin, Dragusin, Davies, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Lo Celso, Johnson, Scarlett

Bang on with the entire 20 man squad, other than Bentancur starts in Sarr's normal spot.

Palace have a good front 3 in Eze supporting Mateta and Ayew, also playing 3 at the back. Behind the wing backs is where we might get some joy, bit of space in behind - pull their centre backs out a bit wider and that should in theory create a bit of space for the likes of Maddison.

early impressions of Glasner are that he will try and have them play a bit more on the front foot which could leave a bit of space for our speed merchants.

Or maybe the ghost of Roy doesn’t get exorcised quite so fast. Or maybe any manager with any sense knows that we are utterly feeble against a determined low block, however much possession we have.

All our games are a bit samey and dull. Maybe things will be better when Maddison comes back from injury. No, wait. Maybe what we need is to give Son a chance in the middle and rest Richy. Oh.

Half-time posts never age well. Generous Palace defence, though. I wish we scored from direct free kicks like they did.

Hopefully his goal gives Timo a bit more confidence. And Johnson should probably be starting, on that performance.

Johnson was superb. We know he's got bags of pace and scores the odd important goal coming in off his wing, but the determination and graft was there today and well rewarded.

Son's just brilliant too. Unlike Werner, the moment he got through there was no doubt whatsoever that it was going to be a goal.

Really good second half, even with the goal against (Eze is some player btw, lovely mix of controlled aggression and super ability on the ball). We ramped up the pressure, took the stroke of luck / poor defending from Palace, 3 points job done.

Van der Ven is absolutely essential for us. We are completely reliant on his pace every time we lose the ball in midfield from a high line. Such a fantastic buy. MOTM as without him we’d have been a goal or two down at half time.

Van der Ven is absolutely essential for us. We are completely reliant on his pace every time we lose the ball in midfield from a high line. Such a fantastic buy. MOTM as without him we’d have been a goal or two down at half time.
Vertonghen but with searing pace. The scouting department came up trumps with him, not exactly unknown but hardly a household name here.

Pulled it round 2nd half, despite going a goal down. Johnson dug in and worked hard - 2 assists (was 2 wasn’t it?) ample reward. Son’s finish never really in doubt (unlike Werner’s 1st half effort).

Ange & Co have to try to find a way to negate teams who sit in. Not that we’ll have that issue next week at Villa Park….

Are there any stats on the fastest team in the league? The posts above mentioned Van der Ven and Johnson, and Werner and Son are very quick too.

Are there any stats on the fastest team in the league? The posts above mentioned Van der Ven and Johnson, and Werner and Son are very quick too.
I've only seen official stats for the top 10 fastest individuals in the league, now topped by MVDV (stats since Opta started collating them about 5 years ago, not just for this season) - I think Johnson was on there from his Forest days, along with the likes of Kyle Walker (obviously), Adama Traore, Pedro Neto and Marcus Rashford.

Van de Ven himself thinks he's only the 2nd fastest at the club - top spot according to training stats is allegedly Destiny Udogie.

It'll be interesting to see when Walker loses a yard, if he indeed does. His namesake Des was similarly blessed with pace, and he was almost 40 when he retired.

Big game tomorrow, away at Villa. Man Utd are today's lunchtime game and should get 3 points, so it's not just a top 4 shootout.

Creeping ever closer to a fully fit squad - Porro has been training and looks good to go. Richarlison is the only one missing - Forster, Solomon and Sessegnon too, but unlikely that any would be troubling the 'first xi' even if all could be useful squad options.

Selection dilemmas - 2 of Bissouma, Sarr and Bentancur to play in the middle, and Kulusevski or Johnson to start wide right. Personally I'd be playing Johnson - he's in better form and Villa's high line defence could be susceptible to pace. As per the earlier conversation, I'd wager there's never been a quicker front 3 than the one we can put on the pitch for this.

Good dilemmas to have really, for once we're picking from a point of too many good players rather than not enough.

Vicario
Porro - Romero MVDV - Udogie
Bentancur
Sarr ---- Maddison
Johnson --- Son --- Werner

Austin, Emerson, Dragusin, Davies, Bissouma, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Lo Celso, Kulusevski - maybe find a place for Scarlett, we look light on forwards without Richi.

0-0 half time. Superb possession and control of the game but as yet no real threat, as opposed to Villa who've barely been in the game but their counter looks very dangerous.

Stick at it for 15 mins or so, if there's still nothing to be had then bring Werner on the left and move Johnson back to his more natural side. This game could go either way but it's there for the taking.

Utterly brilliant second half. Special shout out to Pape Sarr for the first goal, one of the most perfect crosses on the run you could ever hope to see.

John McGinn, hope he enjoys his 3+ games off. One of the most disgusting "tackles" imaginable - clearly anger fuelled, completely deliberate, nothing to do with the ball and every intention to hurt a fellow professional. Throw the book at him.

2 points off Villa, game in hand, even with a better goal difference. Being a Spurs fan is fun 😁

I thought this would happen. My mum came round for lunch so I’ve only just seen the score. Now to find the highlights somewhere.

I see Dragusin came on quite early, who was that for? Cuti and VdV both okay?

I thought this would happen. My mum came round for lunch so I’ve only just seen the score. Now to find the highlights somewhere.

I see Dragusin came on quite early, who was that for? Cuti and VdV both okay?
MvdV was limping before half time. Dragusin spent the break warming up, VdV came out for the second half to give it 5 mins or so but pulled up again when he had to throw himself into a block (one of those late offside flag casualties I'm afraid).

No idea how serious it is, that he was still out there trying to run it off suggests not that bad but who knows.

Dragusin was very decent, seemed to fit the style and understand the slightly odd "inside left centre back" position we play. Put himself about, I was mildly impressed. Not hugely tested though, Villa didn't lay a glove on us in the 2nd half.

Visual table update - all played 28 apart from us away at Chelsea, and the Bournemouth v Luton called off after Tom Lockyer's collapse (being played tonight). 10 games to go, I reckon we're officially now in " The Run In".

While "what ifs?" are a bit futile and different results would probably have altered future pressures, performances and results; it's hard not to look at that table and our run of 1 point in 5 games from 'that' Chelsea game onwards. 2 late goals at Wolves; points for the taking left on the table vs Villa and West Ham.

Fulham must be very close to being the first team thinking about the beach. No chance of relegation, and virtually no chance of Europe even if a Conference League position ends up as 8th. Bournemouth the same if they win tonight.

64 - Arsenal (46), Liverpool (39)
63 - Man City (35)
56 - * Spurs (> 20) *
55 - Villa (18)
54 - * Spurs (20) *
53 - Spurs (< 20)
47 - Man Utd (0)
43 - West Ham (-4)
42 - Brighton (6), * Chelsea (> 2) *
41 - Wolves (-2)
40 - Newcastle (11), * Chelsea (2) *
39 - Chelsea (< 2)
35 - Fulham (-4), * Bournemouth (> -12) *
33 - * Bournemouth (-12) *
32 - Bournemouth (< -12)
29 - Crystal Palace (-15)
26 - Brentford (-12)
25 - Everton (-10)
24 - * Luton (> -17) *, Forest (-16)
22 - * Luton (-17) *
21 - Luton (< -17)
14 - Burnley (-35), Sheff Utd (-50)

based on the villa/spurs fixtues we should move into 4th over the next month +, the bigger the point lead that opens up now obviously the better. might just manage this now

based on the villa/spurs fixtues we should move into 4th over the next month +, the bigger the point lead that opens up now obviously the better. might just manage this now
We play first this weekend (Saturday 17.30 @ Fulham) compared to Villa (Sunday @ West Ham). 2 comparable games away at decent but not great sides; a win for us would put all the pressure firmly on them.

Next 5 games for Spurs:
@ Fulham
vs Luton
@ West Ham
vs Forest
@ Newcastle

Villa:
@ West Ham
vs Wolves
@ Man City
vs Brentford
@ Arsenal

Our last 6 after that is horrendous, but at least Man City and Arsenal are at our place.

Anyway, 5th might be enough depending on others' results in Europe. The English UEFA coefficient is currently behind Germany and Italy, but with Man City and Arsenal looking to go a long way in the Champions League and Liverpool heavy favourites for the Europa, that could and should change. Not usually one for West Ham, but them overturning a 1-0 deficit vs Freiburg wouldn't go amiss.

Alternatively, look up. We can't realistically go past all 3, but if one were to bottle it (say by losing away at Man City and with a game at our place still to come) that gap doesn't look quite so big. It's highly unlikely, but not impossible and 'scoreboard pressure' does funny things as a league title slips away.

European coefficient watchers: advantage England. Well played West Ham and Aston Villa, turned precarious positions into easy progress.

Technically still 3rd (behind Germany and Italy), but we're now the only league still with 5 teams to rack up the ranking points.

Spain - Barca, Real, Atletico in the CL

Germany - Bayern & Dortmund in the CL, Leverkeusen in the EL

Italy - Milan, Atalanta, Roma in the EL, Fiorentina in the ECL

England - Man City & Arsenal in the CL, Liverpool & West Ham EL, Villa ECL

Calling it now - 5th place is very, very likely to be a Champions League place.

Last edited:
Fulham away this evening, 17.30 kickoff.

No MVDV, so Dragusin plays from the start. He's a quick, mobile lad but then again everyone this side of Usain Bolt is a carthorse in comparison so we'll see how it goes with that high line.

Otherwise unchanged from last week would be my guess - Richarlison on the bench in place of Scarlett, Skipp taking Dragusin's spot because we don't have another centre half.

COYS!

Ange's first season though isn't it. Even the best usually take a while unless it's a safe bet at Real Madrid or summat.

Back
Top Bottom