Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spurs 2023/24

I disagree in part about the playing out from the back. A lot of teams do it without any real purpose and the risk seems unnecessary; not us, can see exactly why we do it. 7 or 8 times we got out of a tight spot and passed around the press to get a midfielder in space running over the halfway line, with Werner and Johnson at full pelt turning their fullbacks around to stop them from moving towards the ball carrier. There was one moment when it looked like Werner was away - if it was anyone other than Kyle Walker (or Alphonso Davies, Bayern) then it's a 1 on 1 that even Werner would be favourite to finish.

We had chances to win with that setup. Now imagine that the ball carrier is a fully fit Maddison, and the final chance is at Son's feet.

Gutted that this season is another troubles one (barring a league miracle), but not downhearted by the performance. We're a good, and potentially great side.
dont get me wrong i understand the logic and strategy of it, and on the whole we do it very well, its just stressful to watch and when it goes wrong and the ball gets given away its all too much for me :D

dont get me wrong i understand the logic and strategy of it, and on the whole we do it very well, its just stressful to watch and when it goes wrong and the ball gets given away its all too much for me :D
Being a Spurs fan has always been bad for the aging process, but yeah I agree - the effects are much more immediate with Angeball 😁

Pape Sarr out of AFCON with Senegal, beaten on penalties by Cote D'Ivoire. Home in a few days, back available by the weekend.

Bissouma has a R16 match with Mali against Burkina Faso still to come.

That was odd. Dreadful first half, fifteen minutes of absolutely beautiful Angeball, then quite nervy again, not helped by Udogie’s sudden moment of philosophical scepticism re the existence of Toney.

Still, three points. Shrewd subs. And Richie looking good.

Brentford were acting like dicks the whole game. I don't mind Maupay doing the darts celebration - that's the good kind of shithousery, it was funny and he looks a right knob having Johnson and Richarlison doing it after winning goals. But the constant mouthing off, shoving Kulusevski then throwing himself on the floor after a reprisal shove with much less in it, he just looked like an over-enthusiastic competition winner who got a chance to play a premier league game.

Norgard could and should have been sent off 3, 4, even 5 times. Bookable offence after bookable offence.

But still, when we got our collective heads on straight it was a fabulous 20 minutes or so after half time. 3 points, job done for now and back in the top 4.

Quite a strange game at the Lane last night. Mentioned above, so won’t labour the tipsy turvy nature.

Maupay’s shithousery was evident from high up in the Paxton - have heard from those watching on telly that it was constant almost from the off. And yeah, Norgaard should’ve gone several times over.

Destiny has that in him still as we forget how green he is - the giveaway for the first goal I’m thinking of here. The ‘ghost’ pass hopefully won’t happen again! The manager’s backing of him was entirely in keeping and fully expected. We have a real talent there.

Madders looked rusty early on but was pulling the strings 2nd half. CB’s excellent again. Richarlison worked his socks off and deserved his goal (perhaps more). Pleased with Werner and for Johnson. PEH steadied the ship after HT (probably convinced the hierarchy not to sell him today!).

Very concerned over Kulusevski’s form, or lack of it. Too predictable, too many touches etc.

Sarr back for the weekend. I expect torrid battle at Goodison. Gonna need calm heads and to match their physicality in order to play our football. Was very impressed with Everton at WHL pre-Xmas

Up the Spurs

Kulusevski has been brilliant - one of the few constants through our rough patch of injuries and international absences. But last night he was below par, maybe the relatively quick turnaround to a Saturday lunch game means he should sit one out. Werner, Richarlison and Johnson offer so much pace, no defender would get a moment's peace and they could all take it in turns to have a run at the ironically named Ashley Young.

Hojbjerg I really like still. He's not in the plan A first 11 (deep midfielder, box to box, no.10 as a midfield 3) but if and when we go to a pair of no.10s as we did last night (Kulu and Maddison) he's by far our best option as a lone holding midfielder.

Dullest transfer deadline day in a good while. Only things of note, Veliz on loan to Sevilla (done) and Bryan Gil loan to Brighton (probable).

Feels as if we are getting light on forwards again. We must be very confident about Werner.
Son, Richarlison, Kulusevski, Johnson, Werner, Solomon - pick any 3 from 6.

Solomon is back in training, Son should only be another week or 2. Plus Dane Scarlett is back at the club, albeit after a relatively unsuccessful loan.

Son, Richarlison, Kulusevski, Johnson, Werner, Solomon - pick any 3 from 6.

Solomon is back in training, Son should only be another week or 2. Plus Dane Scarlett is back at the club, albeit after a relatively unsuccessful loan.

I suppose our calculations on how many forwards we need were impacted slightly by going out of the cup, too.

We’ll need more than six next season. Especially with Kulu playing deeper from time to time.

I suppose our calculations on how many forwards we need were impacted slightly by going out of the cup, too.

We’ll need more than six next season. Especially with Kulu playing deeper from time to time.
A fit Lo Celso would mean less need to play Kulu in the no.10 role, so 6 should be enough (it's 7 anyway if Veliz comes back with enhanced experience and reputation).

That said, Lo Celso is probably a prime candidate to make a good few quid - meaning a replacement for him could either be another Maddison-esque 10 or another body in the forward line.

Thinking about it, there's a lot of money as income without any real detriment to the first team squad; Lo Celso, Gil, Parrott, Rodon, Tanganga, Spence (or Emerson - that decision could be impacted by the 17 overseas players rule). None of them would need a direct replacement (unlike say Hojbjerg if he were to go), so that's 60+ million to put towards the 1 or 2 players who could really make the difference for us.

Everton away, playing first this weekend. A win puts us level on points with Arsenal and Man City, albeit temporarily - but with Arsenal playing Liverpool, somebody at the top is guaranteed to drop points...

My pick for today:
Vicario
Porro --- Romero MVDV --- Udogie
Bentancur
Sarr ----------- Maddison
Johnson ------- Richarlison ------- Werner

Forster, Emerson, Davies, Dragusin, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Kulusevski, Donley, Scarlett
Normally a player coming back from long haul internationals would be eased back in gently, but Sarr's fuel tank seems to be inexhaustible. He's a lovely and intelligent footballer first and foremost, but a superb athlete too - what a find he's been.

Exactly the team I’d like to see but……I think we might see Sarr on the bench and PEH starting (in what will be an attritional battle).

Slightly fearful of this fixture today. We have been flattering to deceive of late and thought Everton were really good against us at Christmas.

The obvious 11.

I wonder though if there is a plan to rotate the CBs. Or if Ange is going to carry on trolling us with a Conte-homage back three to protect leads. It will all be a bit boring for Dragusin for the rest of this year otherwise.

The obvious 11.

I wonder though if there is a plan to rotate the CBs. Or if Ange is going to carry on trolling us with a Conte-homage back three to protect leads. It will all be a bit boring for Dragusin for the rest of this year otherwise.
Thought crossed my mind too. Aside from a rearranged fixture v Chelsea to come (because of the LC final) we are one game a week from here on out. Given the Brentford game, I think Ange & co will have at least considered rotation where we are strongest

There's logic to easing Dragusin into things, up his minutes a few at a time to get used to the demands of playing centre back in this team (especially in possession- the lad looks like he knows what he's doing when it comes to defending).

Problem is we're one injury/suspension away from "in at the deep end" territory, and if he's not already had a start that's a problem.

Johnson starts, Kulu on the bench. Great player to bring on later, good decision in my book.

Hojbjerg in, Skipp out, Sarr not rushed back.

COYS!

Ben Godfrey at right back, with Ashley Young in front and James Tarkowski at right CB. Godfrey a CB by trade; all good players, but very little in the way of recovery pace on Werner's side of the pitch. If we can draw Everton out to try and play a little, space in behind will murder them.

Ben Godfrey at right back, with Ashley Young in front and James Tarkowski at right CB. Godfrey a CB by trade; all good players, but very little in the way of recovery pace on Werner's side of the pitch. If we can draw Everton out to try and play a little, space in behind will murder them.
Told you so, what a start!

This change to the rules allowing goalkeepers to be pinned down with WWF moves at corners will definitely improve the game. Perhaps it should have been publicised a little in advance, though.

This change to the rules allowing goalkeepers to be pinned down with WWF moves at corners will definitely improve the game. Perhaps it should have been publicised a little in advance, though.
I don't get it. Man City had a goal disallowed against Liverpool for breathing somewhere near Allison, yet City and now Everton can stand on Vicario without reproach. I don't mind it tbh, I think both goals were (just about) OK, but zero consistency.

Our defending in open play is exceptional, the high line coupled with the pace of VDV really works a treat. Build up play is also exceptional at times, we always score and it makes for some incredible matches to watch.

Got to get better at defending set plays though.

Little bit gutted at the end, hold on for 2-1 and it's real pressure on the teams above.

2 home games coming up.

Context: 2-1 up after 90mins. Need to stay strong after a (let’s face it) shoddy performance (again). Keep giving away free kicks where Everton want them, then are weak at the crucial moment (again). 2 pts dropped for sure.

Haven’t played well for a long time now. Slightly concerned

We had that set piece coach under Conte. Was he ever replaced? Presumably these coaches are also experts in defending against set pieces?

Vito was it?

Anyway, I’m led to believe it’s now Jedniak (ex Palace and Australia) who is doing the defensive set piece coaching.

We knew Everton would be a threat from set pieces. Best way of defending set pieces is to keep the ball better. Something we haven’t done for a while. After that, yes, more mettle needed defending them - GK needs to be much stronger. Players need to be aware of pressure on the GK. Does Ange now start questioning officials’ handling of our games? (Given his style, probably not but I would)

Back
Top Bottom