Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spurs 2023/24

Pedro Porro is my spirit animal, what a lad.

Today's rumour mill - Timo Werner on loan, interesting. A guy who at Chelsea constantly seemed on the verge of being great, but was in fact complete shite due to (a) the offside rule and (b) a complete inability to finish.

For pace, workrate, pressing and generally giving defenders a hard time, there's plenty to work with and that fits the style of play. Would prefer someone who can hit a barn door with a banjo though.

just goes to show for all planning and strategy sometimes you just need a bit of good old fashioned one-man magic
theres something really beautiful about it...the way he won the ball back, the way his left leg flicks up after the kick, the way his body language makes it look likes its a cross, the flight of the ball, the speed it travels, the rooted keeper, near enough in off the post... holds up so well to repeated viewing

Today's rumour mill - Timo Werner on loan, interesting. A guy who at Chelsea constantly seemed on the verge of being great, but was in fact complete shite due to (a) the offside rule and (b) a complete inability to finish.
His goal stats from his first spell at Leipzig are very impressive. I suspect he followed in a long line of decent/excellent strikers who flopped relatively at Chelsea (Shevchenko, Torres, Lukaku, Eto'o).

The more I think about it the more Werner makes sense. I'd love for us to be in the bidding for (e.g.) Toney or Solanke, but the need for a centre back is equally if not more pressing.

Werner as a low risk loan means another body to cover for Son and Richarlison (especially with Veliz out too), money presumably available for a permanent CB, and if it turns out that Werner is pap after all then maybe Toney and/or Solanke might still be available come the summer.

Radu Dragusin looks good. So useful having Paratici still fossicking about in the cash-strapped Italian leagues. And he chose us over Bayern Munich.

I think the next priority position might be left back. Ben is much more convincing as an emergency LCB than as an Angeball full back, and some cover for Udogie would leave us with a pretty complete squad even given the injuries and international defections.

Radu Dragusin looks good. So useful having Paratici still fossicking about in the cash-strapped Italian leagues. And he chose us over Bayern Munich.

I think the next priority position might be left back. Ben is much more convincing as an emergency LCB than as an Angeball full back, and some cover for Udogie would leave us with a pretty complete squad even given the injuries and international defections.
Agreed on Ben Davies - he's been superb, held things together at the back, but our fullbacks are so important to the way we play. Almost as a pair of central, attacking midfielders at times, and that's just not Davies' style. Much better to think of the back line as either VDV or Davies alongside Romero or Dragusin.

Sessegnon is back from injury though, and the LB position might suit him more. He's been more of a traditional, overlapping wide fullback for us but has a history with Fulham playing as an inside right forward so knows his way around the right areas of the pitch. I don't see him as real competition for Udogie, but a useful versatile squad member who could fill in as and when required.

I would be pleased and surprised if he finally came good, but suspect he’ll be off somewhere this window, likely alongside Gil and Dier.

Dier's going to Bayern, which might just suit him. Don't think he's about to displace Upemecano, Kim Min Jae or De Ligt, but he didn't have a hope playing in our suicidal high line.

Decent enough result in context, away at a top half team. We had the 11 that started (including 2 half fit defenders) and virtually nothing else - a CB who signed on Friday (Dragusin), a reserve full back with plenty of heart but limited ability (Emerson), a backup winger who's done very little to ever make an impression on the first team (Gil), and a handful of kids. In this day and age of a 16 man game, near miraculous for us to be still competing and playing well into stoppage time.

Week off next weekend, followed by FA Cup. Some much needed time to get Romero and VDV some fitness and conditioning, Dragusin and Werner more attuned to our style of play, Kulusevski, Solomon and Maddison back involved. Then the run in starts in anger.

Agreed Zapp. Full strength today and we walk away with the points.
Thought Richarlison had one of his better games today - obvs got the goal but his working back and link up play was v good. Better final balls from Johnson (who continues to frustrate) and Gil might’ve seen Richie win it for us.

As you say, a welcome 2 week break now to try to get everyone as fit as possible…

Reguilon back from loan to Man Utd, seemingly to go out on loan to Brentford - a good move for all involved, Brentford haven't been able to play a proper left side since Rico Henry (very good player btw) got long term injured. Davies, Sessegnon and Emerson can all play in Udogie's spot at a push, so we're all good for now.

To be honest, I’m quite enjoying the mini break and hope the players are too. It’s come at the right time for the squad. Even though Spurs were the better side at OT last Sunday, quite a few of those players looked like they were running on empty.

A break - maybe some sunshine - and a full week’s training prior to City next Friday is ideal. Our next mid-week league game in Brentford on Weds 31st Jan. Most of our rivals will be back in European competition by early/mid February, when we’ll hopefully have Son, Sarr & Bissouma (Malaria nonwithstanding) back plus Maddison and a post-illness Kulusevski.

To be honest, I’m quite enjoying the mini break and hope the players are too. It’s come at the right time for the squad. Even though Spurs were the better side at OT last Sunday, quite a few of those players looked like they were running on empty.

A break - maybe some sunshine - and a full week’s training prior to City next Friday is ideal. Our next mid-week league game in Brentford on Weds 31st Jan. Most of our rivals will be back in European competition by early/mid February, when we’ll hopefully have Son, Sarr & Bissouma (Malaria nonwithstanding) back plus Maddison and a post-illness Kulusevski.
This ^ matches my thinking to a tee. From picking a back 4 of all full-backs, a midfield of whoever's available, and not having much of a subs' bench; we're just a short stretch away from having a full selection with genuine options as substitutes, not just fresher legs but lower quality.

Ivan Perisic has left, off to Hadjuk Split on loan until his contract expires. Very much a Conte signing for a very Conte style of play.

Tanganga is a decent player, he's had a few good games along the early part of his career. He's not really a youngster anymore though, and clearly not about to trouble our first team - Milwall to put him in the shop window, probably about 5 or 6 mil to be had in the summer from a Championship club.

Rodon is in a similar situation - playing really well for Leeds, there's a chance he could come back to the Prem with them and then there's a permanent move in the offing. The irony being that were he still on our books while VDV and Romero were out he'd have been first in line to play.

Visual table update - almost everyone up to 21 games played. Liverpool looking very handy, but Man City's game in hand looks huge to make it a 2 horse race.

Brentford, Everton (A), Brighton, Wolves are our next 4 games.

48 - Liverpool (29)
43 - Man City (25, 1 GIH), Arsenal (22), Villa (16)
40 - Spurs (13)
35 - West Ham (3)
32 - Brighton (5), Man Utd (-5)
31 - Chelsea (4)
29 - Newcastle (9), Wolves (-1)
25 - Bournemouth (-11, 1 GIH)
24 - Fulham (-8)
22 - Brentford (-4, 1 GIH)
21 - Crystal Palace (-12)
20 - Nottingham Forest (-12)
17 - Everton (-4)
16 - Luton (-14, 1 GIH)
12 - Burnley (-21)
10 - Sheff Utd (-34)

im looking forward to tomorrow night....man city games seem to always bring out fireworks...any prematch gos?

im looking forward to tomorrow night....man city games seem to always bring out fireworks...any prematch gos?
Yes! Maddison has been training again. Probably too soon to start, but look for him to set up a late winner off the bench.

COYS!

Another trophy-less season arrives…sigh

Can’t fault the effort tonight - esp our back four (VDV amazing). Can fault the final ball and decision making though.

That said, City were clearly the better side and they’ve hit their groove.
City were really good, a lot of teams would have been absolutely blown away tonight. I think it sums up where we are in the pecking order - we're bloody good and we can go toe to toe with the very best, but we aren't quite the very best. Yet.

Granted, they can point to missing Haaland and a half fit De Bruyne, but equally we can add Son, Sarr and the almost there Maddison to the team that played. I'm calling it now - we will finish in the top 4, and we've got a hell of a platform to get even better.

agree with that, cant complain at the score line, but some very impressive composure under pressure

i dont enjoy this playing it from the back football, especially with a quality press like man city - just stressful to watch risky passes around our box, kind of wish theyd play a bit of A1 once in a while and give my blood pressure a break

can i just say yet again....Richarlison....not good enough... unfair to pick him out but Im going to anyway.... i know hes scored some goals now but we need someone better in his role

agree with that, cant complain at the score line, but some very impressive composure under pressure

i dont enjoy this playing it from the back football, especially with a quality press like man city - just stressful to watch risky passes around our box, kind of wish theyd play a bit of A1 once in a while and give my blood pressure a break

can i just say yet again....Richarlison....not good enough... unfair to pick him out but Im going to anyway.... i know hes scored some goals now but we need someone better in his role
I disagree in part about the playing out from the back. A lot of teams do it without any real purpose and the risk seems unnecessary; not us, can see exactly why we do it. 7 or 8 times we got out of a tight spot and passed around the press to get a midfielder in space running over the halfway line, with Werner and Johnson at full pelt turning their fullbacks around to stop them from moving towards the ball carrier. There was one moment when it looked like Werner was away - if it was anyone other than Kyle Walker (or Alphonso Davies, Bayern) then it's a 1 on 1 that even Werner would be favourite to finish.

We had chances to win with that setup. Now imagine that the ball carrier is a fully fit Maddison, and the final chance is at Son's feet.

Gutted that this season is another troubles one (barring a league miracle), but not downhearted by the performance. We're a good, and potentially great side.

Back
Top Bottom