Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spurs 2023/24

fucking up a golden opportunity within the campaign is more oldskool spursy ;) but agree, apart from the cards cant fault the passion

what did he say?
VAR is leading to a “constant erosion of the referee’s authority” . He did get booked for dissent though

excerpt from interview:

VAR is leading to a “constant erosion of the referee’s authority” . He did get booked for dissent though

excerpt from interview:

A difficult game for a ref, ref gets everything right with the help of VAR, losing manager whose team threw away a 1 nil lead against a struggling mid-table side talks about whether managers should be questioning refs.

Maddison and MvdV both out until probably into the new year.

I'd imagine Lo Celso will get the nod to play in the AM position, don't really see too many other options.

Dier a cert to start tomorrow at Wolves; his centre back partner will likely be either Davies or Hojbjerg. Interestingly though, Ashley Phillips wasn't involved with the U23s last night so there's a fair chance he'll be with the first team this weekend - I can see him being an Ange type player, van de Ven's recovery pace has been so important and that's not really there from Dier & Davies.

Only just recovering from Monday night! Mixture of emotions. At the time I was proud of the remaining 9 players (& those who came off the bench). Almost got something at the end there too…

However, as the week has unfolded so everything we feared might happen over the next few weeks/months has all occurred in one game! (Against fucking Chelsea….again).

We all said we’d be fucked if we lost Maddison and/or one of the CB’s. Now it’s both CB’s, Madders, Udogie, Richarlison plus the other longer term injuries.

Fuck me football gods, what the fuck have Spurs done (over some considerable time I might add) to deserve ‘luck’ of this measure???

Spectacularly Spursy

Not surprised at the silence over today's score, maybe best just to draw a veil over it
Paper thin squad stretched too far - by the end of the game we had virtually no first 11 players out there. Disappointing, but we move on - still right up there in the top 4, a game closer to our injured and suspended players return.

Disappointing to lose three in a row, but that was a very positive performance and I’m reassured now that when the injury list is down we have a squad that can challenge for trophies without boring anyone’s socks off.

Gil and Kulu and Gio all did well. As did the four FB defence, considering what a scary idea it was on paper.

Yeah it was an entertaining game and I'd much rather see Spurs doing their best attacking and getting done on the counter than playing cautiously.
I don't think we'll finish top four this year though.

Last edited:
Yeah it was an entertaining game and I'd much rather see Spurs doing their best attacking and getting done on the counter than playing cautiously.
I don't think we'll finish top for this year though.
I think our final position depends on how often we can play at least 9 of our first 11, and if we can add to the maybe 14 or so genuine quality players in the squad. The 4 full backs might have been OK if Biss, Sarr and Maddison had been playing in front of them.

I think our final position depends on how often we can play at least 9 of our first 11, and if we can add to the maybe 14 or so genuine quality players in the squad. The 4 full backs might have been OK if Biss, Sarr and Maddison had been playing in front of them.
Yeah I think you said pre season there wasn't the depth and I think thats right.

I'm looking forward to the man city game, could be an interesting match

Well, it’s all gone a bit Spursy eh?

Flat atmosphere yesterday- before and during the game. Lots of people preoccupied by the lengthy injury list and suspensions. And then by a team selection containing no centre halves or a holding midfielder?!?!

I have to say I was ‘entertained’. The madness of the selection almost paid off as we flew out of the blocks (again). Can’t blame the manager for the missed opportunities or the offsides.

Seems as if there are two camps emerging: 1) trust the process, Ange-ball will pay off; and 2) with some more pragmatism Spurs could have salvaged something from all three defeats. I’m somewhat in the middle of these two schools of thought. Although I’m an old sweat, so I’ve seen more than my share (fill) of rebuilds and written off seasons, there does seem as if something quite different and unexpected is happening. Certainly getting a decent tune out of those left standing and from the previously discarded ‘squad’ players

Quite what the reaction will be when we get ironed out by City on Sunday, who knows?

If we lose at City, it would be very easy to paint a "lost 4 in a row, crisis Spurs" narrative but really we need to take this match for exactly what it is. Away at the Champions, with half a team missing. It's a free hit, let them go out and play with all the same freedom, make it entertaining.

Bissouma back, hopefully Sarr too. The game after that, Romero playing. That's when the real test comes - we can write off problems as temporary when there are no centre backs, no midfield 3 and no alternatives up front, but we can't write off problems when we're back to almost full strength except for MVDV and Maddison.

Missed the Citeh game, but it sounds as if the second half was a glorious vindication of Angeball.

People think of Postecoglou as an idealist in comparison with grim pragmatists like Mourinho and Conte, as if attacking, free-flowing football has an innate purity. But focusing on spectacle rather than points definitely helps cynical accountants who want to sell hospitality tickets to neutrals for a fortune. You and your customers are guaranteed to enjoy a trip to NHWL these days. Guaranteed. Safe as houses.

It was an interesting match...Sons opening goal was pretty special...rewatching the replays its amazing how he gets ahead of the city defender - he had no right to.

I know Gill isnt first choice and he's good enough on the ball, but I do think we are lacking someone who can charge down the wing and knock some balls in...I appreciate this was against one of the best teams in the world but I saw no threat when he was on the ball....I do like a fast winger.

The Man City high press is incredibly effective - i was wincing throughout and amazed Spurs didnt just hoof it up field more often out of desperation

It was a hell of a match. We totally rode our luck (Haaland doesn't miss many easy chances usually), but had just 5 of our first 11 in their usual positions (plus Kulusevski in the middle) and a bench of Skipp, Hojbjerg and a 1/3 fit Richarlison.

Our style causes some of our own problems, but it also masks a load of deficiencies and being so clearly defined it helps new players coming in - everyone knows what to do. I flipping love it, and the only thing we're short of right now is a centre back with exceptional recovery pace. This team with a fully fit MVDV in it has the potential to be frighteningly good.

Classic smash n grab

Moyse pulled Ange’s pants down, let’s face it. They came out a different side 2nd half. Part bollocking I suspect but also part tactical. They worked us out.

On Ange - it’s not a binary issue, either pro or anti - because it’s possible to both marvel at some of the football we are playing and at the same time see that we are one dimensional and naive.

Fella next to me said mid-first half that we were missing a proper striker and he’s right. The chances we’ve missed in our last 3 home games have bitten us. We both agreed there was a good chance of losing tonight despite being 1-0 up because we’ve seen this script before.

1 point out of 15 is simply not good enough, despite the obvious progress in certain areas.

It wasn’t so much a problem of putting the chance away in the first half tonight but the quality of the final ball. Kulu became very predictable very quickly but at least he kept asking for the ball. Son and Johnson had shockers and then hid. The front three is a huge worry.

Cold, wet and fed up on the way home. Really not sure we’ll see anything different on Sunday.

It wasn’t so much a problem of putting the chance away in the first half tonight but the quality of the final ball. Kulu became very predictable very quickly but at least he kept asking for the ball. Son and Johnson had shockers and then hid. The front three is a huge worry.

yeah there isnt that killer instinct up there is there....also Richarlison just isn't sharp enough
often around the box there was a sense of not knowing what do next other than Kulusevski
haha another spurs season it is then!

Lo Celso dropped, which seems a little unfair. Richarlison, Son, Johnson up front with Kulu doing something in midfield. Can’t quite imagine what, but it should be fun. 3-2 Spurs.

Bit more like it! Amazing how much easier the game becomes when we get a 2nd goal, all of the tension in the defence drifted away. Udogie and Son were fantastic, and credit Ben Davies for a quite brilliant bit of defending when Anthony Gordon was in down their left, great positioning and a vital touch away from Isak.

Glad that you mentioned Ben Davies Zapp. We were all discussing who made the biggest impact etc after in the pub. Obvs Sonny, Porro and I think Sarr’s name was mentioned. But when Davies was mentioned there was a unanimous seal of approval - not just for this game but the role he has played during this ‘crisis’

Oh….and thought watching it live and only once, that Romero should’ve gone - silly sod

I like Ben Davies. He has many faults as a CB (especially in a 4), chronic lack of pace being one of them, but he also has a few qualities that most other centre backs don't have. He's almost like a midfielder in the way he steps forward with the ball, creating an extra man - I lost count of the number of attacks that started from deep with Davies on the ball.

37 - Liverpool (21)
36 - Arsenal (18)
35 - Aston Villa (15)
33 - Man City (20)
30 - Spurs (10)
27 - Man Utd (-3)
26 - Newcastle (12), Brighton (5)
24 - West Ham (-4)
21 - Fulham (0)
19 - Brentford (1), Chelsea (0), Wolves (-5), Bournemouth (-9)
16 - Crystal Palace (-8)
14 - Nottingham Forest (-11)
13 - Everton (0)
09 - Luton (-15)
08 - Burnley (-18), Sheff Utd (-29)

Less than half the season gone, and already the relegation picture is looking pretty clear barring a disastrous run by Forest or maybe Palace. Everton are top half on performance, so they'll be fine.

As for us, the question is whether we're 3 points adrift at the bottom of the title picture, or 3 points clear of fellow UEFA cup chasers. @ Forest, Everton, @ Brighton, Bournemouth coming up - good points needed from all that lot, but at the very least it'll be a few games closer to having Maddison and van de Ven back on the pitch.

37 - Liverpool (21)
36 - Arsenal (18)
35 - Aston Villa (15)
33 - Man City (20)
30 - Spurs (10)
27 - Man Utd (-3)
26 - Newcastle (12), Brighton (5)
24 - West Ham (-4)
21 - Fulham (0)
19 - Brentford (1), Chelsea (0), Wolves (-5), Bournemouth (-9)
16 - Crystal Palace (-8)
14 - Nottingham Forest (-11)
13 - Everton (0)
09 - Luton (-15)
08 - Burnley (-18), Sheff Utd (-29)

Less than half the season gone, and already the relegation picture is looking pretty clear barring a disastrous run by Forest or maybe Palace. Everton are top half on performance, so they'll be fine.

As for us, the question is whether we're 3 points adrift at the bottom of the title picture, or 3 points clear of fellow UEFA cup chasers. @ Forest, Everton, @ Brighton, Bournemouth coming up - good points needed from all that lot, but at the very least it'll be a few games closer to having Maddison and van de Ven back on the pitch.
Hattrick! Have the match ball.

Back
Top Bottom