Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Six Nations - 2024

With the exception of Ireland (and Scotland…) everyone seems well off the pace.

Some thoughts

England’s defensive performance was good, to twice go through 20+ phases and not give away a penalty, both at crucial moments is very impressive. That said they still allowed too many line breaks against a Wales team that aren’t exactly much at present.

England poor at breakdown, and poor discipline wise. Attack still quite bland, but there are moments of sunshine. Try with 13 men off a scrum was huge. To fail to kill the game off in the last 10 with an extra man was poor. England’s power and bench strength made the difference.

Another learning curve for Wales. They’re showing the team they can be in a few years time. Picking up losing bonus points and scoring tries.

Both teams likely to lose convincingly and perhaps heavily to Ireland.

Their tactics on their lineouts are interesting though. Bloke at front doesn't look interested and wheels round for the take. Or they all shuffle forward to the 5yd line which is entertaining.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does it really do Italy any good to be smashed to pieces every year in the 6N? Wouldn't it be better for the competition (and Italy themselves) to have a system of promotion/relegation from the Tier 2 comp? Wooden spoonists of 6N (usually Italy) play off against the winners of Tier 2 (usually Georgia)? If Italy win the playoff, it does them a world of good. If they lose it, they can't really grumble.

I guess the reason this doesn't happen is a word starting with M and ending with Y?

Italy are killing it in the U20s I think, Scotland play in a lower tier competition in the world U20s. Italy don’t also have the ancestral advantages of home nation teams

Hopefully it transfers to the senior tournament in a few years

Maybe a playoff will happen in a few years but currently Italy are shareholders in the 6N (I think) so can’t be relegated

I'm in favour of a play off between Italy (or whoever comes bottom of the 6N) and Georgia. Need to shake things up a bit.

Only forward out of the hands as opposed to forward via momentum is a forward pass

I’m not a fan of that law either
Not only was it forward out of the hands, but receiver was actually in front of passer, so it's a penalty to Wales.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does it really do Italy any good to be smashed to pieces every year in the 6N? Wouldn't it be better for the competition (and Italy themselves) to have a system of promotion/relegation from the Tier 2 comp? Wooden spoonists of 6N (usually Italy) play off against the winners of Tier 2 (usually Georgia)? If Italy win the playoff, it does them a world of good. If they lose it, they can't really grumble.

I guess the reason this doesn't happen is a word starting with M and ending with Y?
ITALY aren't being smashed by as much as they used to be a few years ago, so they have shown massive improvement, even though they are the weakest team in the 6N currently.

I've long argued there should be a 6N2, with Spain, Georgia, Portugal, Romania and Belgium (plus one other wild card). The bottom team in the actual 6N go down and the winners of 6N2 come up. Would add an extra element to both groups.

ITALY aren't being smashed by as much as they used to be a few years ago, so they have shown massive improvement, even though they are the weakest team in the 6N currently.

I've long argued there should be a 6N2, with Spain, Georgia, Portugal, Romania and Belgium (plus one other wild card). The bottom team in the actual 6N go down and the winners of 6N2 come up. Would add an extra element to both groups.
TBF since 2000, they've finished bottom 18 times and lost all five matches 13 times. They've won 13 out of 120 games. So on average they win one game every two years.

Problem is money. I don't doubt that even one season out of the 6N would be disastrous for the likes of Wales or Scotland. And they do occasionally finish bottom, even with Italy there. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

We see it in a lot of sports. The wider good of growing the game is opposed by those at the top who fear losing money. Spain's a good example. When I was there 30-odd years ago, I was amazed by the interest in the then 5N. It was live on tv and people wanted to watch it. Game could easily grow big there.

TBF since 2000, they've finished bottom 18 times and lost all five matches 13 times. They've won 13 out of 120 games. So on average they win one game every two years.

Problem is money. I don't doubt that even one season out of the 6N would be disastrous for the likes of Wales or Scotland. And they do occasionally finish bottom, even with Italy there. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

We see it in a lot of sports. The wider good of growing the game is opposed by those at the top who fear losing money. Spain's a good example. When I was there 30-odd years ago, I was amazed by the interest in the then 5N. It was live on tv and people wanted to watch it. Game could easily grow big there.
I’ve long thought that Spain, Portugal and Germany should be allowed to enter the second tier of ECPR as a club. Regular games, exposure to professional teams and a chance to build the domestic comp. Easier to do than have a promotion relegation system for the six nations.

I’ve long thought that Spain, Portugal and Germany should be allowed to enter the second tier of ECPR as a club. Regular games, exposure to professional teams and a chance to build the domestic comp. Easier to do than have a promotion relegation system for the six nations.
you haven't thought that through have you?

The Slammed documentary on iplayer this year covers the decline of the Welsh rugby team through the 80s, against the backdrop of industrial decline

Quite enjoying it so far

Back
Top Bottom