Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Show us yer shelfies!

IMG_20240824_155040.jpg
By popular demand on the house meddling thread, behold my cardboard box shelf unit.

I had the books in the boxes just any old how but it was really annoying me. I just had to put them in order.
From top left:
One box of short stories/ anthologies
Some larger modern hardbacks that wouldn't fit in the boxes (a-z)
Then 13 X boxes of A and B format fiction (a-z) starting with Douglas Adams and ending with Zola.

View attachment 439562
By popular demand on the house meddling thread, behold my cardboard box shelf unit.

I had the books in the boxes just any old how but it was really annoying me. I just had to put them in order.
From top left:
One box of short stories/ anthologies
Some larger modern hardbacks that wouldn't fit in the boxes (a-z)
Then 13 X boxes of A and B format fiction (a-z) starting with Douglas Adams and ending with Zola.
I love the idea of a cardboard box shelving unit, it's a really creative idea. Makes me wonder why so many of my books are.housed in cardboard boxes when I could just open up the boxes so that the books are accessible. I need to think about this!

They look like nice shallow shelves for paperbacks. Where did you get them?

All the cheap IKEA ones are 28cm which is deep enough for big A4 box files and the like. I'm looking for bookcases for paperbacks so it only needs to be 13cm deep. I'm looking in second hand places, but it's unlikely I'll find anything exactly the right size.

I'm thinking of making my own with 5" wide planks but that might cost a lot and wood yards scare me. Hence the temp cardboard arrangement.

I love the idea of a cardboard box shelving unit, it's a really creative idea. Makes me wonder why so many of my books are.housed in cardboard boxes when I could just open up the boxes so that the books are accessible. I need to think about this!
I started off just roughly cutting the boxes in half with a Stanley knife, like this:
IMG_20240825_002617.jpg
Then I realised I could cut, fold and tape the boxes to be one book high to act like a shelf

This summer I decided that my temporary room was going to be more if a permanent one.
To mark the occasion I put up a bunch of shelves and bookcases.

20240825_002112.jpg
Clothes and Misc. Not fully sorted yet

20240825_002132.jpg
Tools and books.

20240825_002301.jpg
Manga with some refrence books, asterix, and tintin on top

20240825_002310.jpg

Dr Who on top Misc on bottom.

20240825_002357.jpg

Board games, TTRPGs and others. Still being added to.

All the cheap IKEA ones are 28cm which is deep enough for big A4 box files and the like. I'm looking for bookcases for paperbacks so it only needs to be 13cm deep. I'm looking in second hand places, but it's unlikely I'll find anything exactly the right size.

I'm thinking of making my own with 5" wide planks but that might cost a lot and wood yards scare me. Hence the temp cardboard arrangement.
Have a search for "shallow bookcase" - I found some on Wayfair who do a variety of wall mounted and free standing shallow shelving, and Argos also do some shallow bookcases.

If you wanted something off the shelf so to speak, rather than DIY!

I do really like what you've done with the boxes as temporary storage, much better being able to see everything than having to rummage through a pile of boxes :)

Last edited:
Have a search for "shallow bookcase" - I found some on Wayfair who do a variety of wall mounted and free standing shallow shelving, and Argos also do some shallow bookcases.

If you wanted something off the shelf so to speak, rather than DIY!

I do really like what you've done with the boxes as temporary storage, much better being able to see everything than having to rummage through a pile of boxes :)
Did look at Wayfair - they say 'shallow' but all but the tiniest knicknack shelves are 30 or 40 cm deep. It's a very annoying website to navigate too. Did you find anything more paperback sized?

Did look at Wayfair - they say 'shallow' but all but the tiniest knicknack shelves are 30 or 40 cm deep. It's a very annoying website to navigate too. Did you find anything more paperback sized?

It's an absolute pain to navigate their website (although they do have some nice stuff) but I think I almost accidentally stumbled across this when I was searching, there might be some suitable stuff here:

The search term is misleading cos they aren't all 13cm or less but there are some items there.

The 2nd item in that is a set of 4 cubby type storage units that are 15cm deep (not sure whether tall enough for a standard paperback, I can't find my tape measure!)

Last edited:
It's an absolute pain to navigate their website (although they do have some nice stuff) but I think I almost accidentally stumbled across this when I was searching, there might be some suitable stuff here:

The search term is misleading cos they aren't all 13cm or less but there are some items there.

The 2nd item in that is a set of 4 cubby type storage units that are 15cm deep (not sure whether tall enough for a standard paperback, I can't find my tape measure!)
Saw those but thought they looked rather lightweight, as they show them with only couple of books and an ornament. Not sure they are designed for the weight of a full load of books. Would need a lot of them for my amount of books too and that would be a lot of drilling in a very hard wall.

They were from Argos, years back! I have two of them, and they have lasted in multiple locations across five homes over 15 years (I would guess).

I don't know if they're still available, but I think they were about sixty-five quid each when I got them, and they are ideal for standard paperbacks (e.g. old style Penguins, Pan, NEL etc), as well as some slightly taller folios, and also DVDs.

They were from Argos, years back! I have two of them, and they have lasted in multiple locations across five homes over 15 years (I would guess).

I don't know if they're still available, but I think they were about sixty-five quid each when I got them, and they are ideal for standard paperbacks (e.g. old style Penguins, Pan, NEL etc), as well as some slightly taller folios, and also DVDs.
I suppose larger bookcases for lots of paperbacks are out of fashion with the popularity of kindle...

Back
Top Bottom