Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shots fired outside Houses of Parliament

But as 'please fuck off' it was weak, limp even. A little smug.

'please, fuck off' on the other hand would convey authority, the grown up, a serious person.

The former relies upon the backing of others. The latter stands upon its own gusto.

Something to think about

'Won't you pleease fuck off?' - conveys a languid ennui, sort of thing Hans Gruber would say to that twat John McClane when he refused to die
'Fuck off Hans' - the sort of thing Bruce Willis would say, because he's a shit actor

'Won't you pleease fuck off?' - conveys a languid ennui, sort of thing Hans Gruber would say to that twat John McClane when he refused to die
'Fuck off Hans' - the sort of thing Bruce Willis would say, because he's a shit actor

But 'Hans, fuck off' would convey that Bruce had serious, adult stuff to be doing; no time for hans' childish nonsense.

Some punctuation would help here, that's for sure.

How about you respond to he questions/arguments put to you, rather than get all triggered by mean words.

So there are mental illnesses which exist purely as 'irrational delusions' (of which Islam is an example), or Islam contains 'symptoms' of other categories (e.g. disorganised thoughts)

Was this supposed to be a question? If so. I don't need to be an expert on mental illness to know that delusions are one.

Why not try to beat your Glastonbury and Scotland thread-page-records ... ?

Go on go on go on, give it a try Father!

latest

1. MadeInBedlam'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'
    New

When I used to ride the Chiltern's line (to which I look back fondly, my god I hate southern rail), the sign read 'Please, keep your feet off the seats'.

The comma added humanity, if not an element of passive-aggression, to the request.
    Actually saying both iterations aloud makes me rethink that.

'Please keep your feet off the seats' doesn't sound passive aggressive, but it is passive, in a weary way.

'Please, keep your feet off the seats'' has more oomph to it. A muscular quality. If a little sharp.

MadeInBedlam, 14 minutes agoReportBookmark
    #970Like+ QuoteReply
    Wilf likes this.

2. littlebabyjesusone of Maxwell's demons
    New

Actually saying both iterations aloud makes me rethink that.

'Please keep your feet off the seats' doesn't sound passive aggressive, but it is passive, in a weary way.

'Please, keep your feet off the seats'' has more oomph to it. A muscular quality. If a little sharp.
    It has a weary Do I really have to say this? quality to it.

I approve.

littlebabyjesus, 12 minutes agoReportBookmark
    #971Like+ QuoteReply

3. Wilf8% Beach Ready
    New

Spot on. It absolutely does both those things.

tbh wilf just comes across as insincere without the comma.
    There was a comma and I italicised, it was like sincerity central. Oh, sorry, sincerity central.

Wilf, 12 minutes agoReportBookmark
    #972Like+ QuoteReply
    MadeInBedlam likes this.

4. xenonWhat door?
    New

Well done, first prize in the geeky weapon pedants award for 2017. Last post on this shit derail, honestly...
    :oops:

I'm just catching up. You're right though, it is bollocks

xenon, 11 minutes agoReportBookmark
    #973Like+ QuoteReply
    FMSs
    Urban is defiantly alive and well:confused:
    definitely was the word I was looking for but, interpretive text did it better:eek:
    Fuck grammar.

No, you're coming out with the sort of shite that equates belief systems with mental illness, in a way that somehow manages to insult both the religious and the mentally ill.
He's giving simpletons a bad name as well. A bit unkind is probably only about 16. Going through that phase of thinking or religious people are mad.

juvenile absolutism is not a good counter argument

It's only absolutism in so much as already exists in the mental health act. I'm simply saying that it should be applied with consisnency. The idea that the number of people holding the same sort of delusion factors in to ideas about how to treat a delusional indivdual is wrong.

Was this supposed to be a question? If so. I don't need to be an expert on mental illness to know that delusions are one.

So give us an example of diagnosable condition (not merely a diagnostic criterion - you know the difference, of course) that pertains only to delusional thoughts

It's only absolutism in so much as already exists in the mental health act. I'm simply saying that it should be applied with consisnency. The idea that the number of people holding the same sort of delusion factors in to ideas about how to treat a delusional indivdual is wrong.

We get it, you're an atheist, well done. Now grow up.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has long thought himself the best footballer in the world, when even at his peak he was no better than 3rd best. Incarcerate him with the Chief Rabbi and that Sufi bloke called Arnold who lives down our street?

Like I said before there are degrees.

Bugger off, only on U75 could you end up having a discussion on terrorist events being derailed into a lesson on grammar, comforting actually, in the wider context.
Did the weapons discussion ever get round to the Broomhandled Mauser? Peter Kaye would have been disappointed.

To drag this back on track, there is a discussion to be had here about the motivation of suicide bombers. And in this, Robert Pape's words are relevant, I think:

What 95 percent of all suicide attacks have in common, since 1980, is not religion, but a specific strategic motivation to respond to a military intervention, often specifically a military occupation, of territory that the terrorists view as their homeland or prize greatly. From Lebanon and the West Bank in the 80s and 90s, to Iraq and Afghanistan, and up through the Paris suicide attacks we’ve just experienced in the last days, military intervention—and specifically when the military intervention is occupying territory—that’s what prompts suicide terrorism more than anything else.

Here’s What a Man Who Studied Every Suicide Attack in the World Says About ISIS’ Motives

If you want to understand the phenomenon, you have to look behind the religious rhetoric, basically. Pape's well worth reading.

Back
Top Bottom