Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shoplifting on the rise

It’s your local independent retailer that I feel sorry for. The corner shop and such like. It must be particularly daunting and intimidating to have someone suspicious come into your place with the aim of maybe taking stuff from you, especially if you’re alone behind the counter and feeling somewhat vulnerable and helpless. I have far more sympathy for them than for supermarkets, if I’m honest.

So the police don't respond to shoplifting? Interesting .....
I suspect it's a tad more nuanced than that, shoplifting covers everything from a gang coming in and emptying the ciggy and booze shelves into a sack to someone sticking a jar of coffee under their coat on the way out. They may all be the same legally but not in practice. I suspect Plod are more inclined to respond to the first to the second but resources are short and the person dispatching them may not always make the right judgement call as to whether or not a response is needed now or someone can pop round to take a statement in a couple of hours.
It’s your local independent retailer that I feel sorry for. The corner shop and such like. It must be particularly daunting and intimidating to have someone suspicious come into your place with the aim of maybe taking stuff from you, especially if you’re alone behind the counter and feeling somewhat vulnerable and helpless. I have far more sympathy for them than for supermarkets, if I’m honest.
The supermarkets as an institution can probably afford to carry the financial loss better than the local corner shop but it's not the board of directors on the shopfloor that's being threatened and harassed but some poor sod on little more than minimum wage.

In the longer term then these communities as a whole will lose out since small local retailers will go bust and the supermarkets will decide a particular store is too unprofitable/too much trouble to keep open.

So the police don't respond to shoplifting? Interesting .....
Not in terms of prioritising it as a 999 call. They'll interview staff after, take descriptions etc, crime will be geolocated so that might create a response if there are repeats ie local neighbourhood police might be tasked for passing attention or reassurance checks at specific times etc. Most small shop/convenience shop shoplifters are local or target specific locations.

I suspect it's a tad more nuanced than that, shoplifting covers everything from a gang coming in and emptying the ciggy and booze shelves into a sack to someone sticking a jar of coffee under their coat on the way out. They may all be the same legally but not in practice. I suspect Plod are more inclined to respond to the first to the second but resources are short and the person dispatching them may not always make the right judgement call as to whether or not a response is needed now or someone can pop round to take a statement in a couple of hours.

The supermarkets as an institution can probably afford to carry the financial loss better than the local corner shop but it's not the board of directors on the shopfloor that's being threatened and harassed but some poor sod on little more than minimum wage.

In the longer term then these communities as a whole will lose out since small local retailers will go bust and the supermarkets will decide a particular store is too unprofitable/too much trouble to keep open.

I have to say that if I worked on the shopfloor in a large supermarket on a crummy wage, then there’s no way I’d risk my safety by intervening in someone shoplifting. If someone was being attacked or were at physical risk then yes I would do something; otherwise I’m sorry my well being is worth more than a stolen piece of meat or a loaf of bread. Like you say, shop workers - either in supermarkets or smaller retailers - put up with enough abuse as it is.

I think the shoplifting they're talking about (at least in the US) isn't just one or two people lifting a few things they need. The real issue is organized theft gangs that go in en masse and take entire racks of clothes, or breaks all the glass and jewelry cases and take everything. We had an Ultra store raided in this way twice in two weeks. Each time they took tens of thousands of merch. They waited just long enough for the store to restock and hit it again. Then, they resell it online, at flea markets, etc. This is more organized crime than petty theft:

Retailers have always been vulnerable to shoplifting. But the emergence of coordinated and organized robberies at high-value stores, even during shopping hours, has the industry on edge.

In November, a group of 14 individuals barged into a Louis Vuitton store in Oakbrook, Illinois, while customers were inside and audaciously drove away with a $100,000 worth of merchandise. The entire incident was caught on the store’s surveillance video.

That same month, a group of at least 18 people broke into a closed Nordstrom store at LA’s famous high-end The Grove shopping mall using a sledgehammer and an electric bicycle. They made off with several thousand dollars in merchandise. And on Black Friday, one of the busiest shopping days of the year, as many as 30 people robbed a Best Buy in Minneapolis.

The crime typically involves groups of people targeting stores that carry higher-value items like electronics, designer handbags and designer clothing, who resell the merchandise in secondary marketplaces, such as eBay, OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace or even back into the legitimate supply chain.

“These are people who make a living stealing and reselling. This is not a one-time opportunistic or need-based robbery,” said Cory Lowe, an expert on retail crime and research scientist at the Loss Prevention Research Council, an industry coalition that researches retail crime, its impact and solutions to address it.

Last edited:

I feel bad for a lot of people before some of the large corporate entities. I feel sorry for people in a neighborhood when their drug store closes down because the store isn't profitable, and they have to go further away for their prescriptions. I feel sorry for the employees who lost their jobs. I feel sorry for the average person who is made to feel less safe in their neighborhood.

Here's video of the LV theft mentioned in the article I posted above:

I have no love for LV. I think they make cheap, ugly crap and sell it on to hypebeasts with more money than sense.

However, watch the people in the store scatter in fear as these guys come in. These aren't people stealing a bit of food. This is just greed.

Last edited:
Probably depends on whose property.

Major supermarket chains aren't exactly "little people" though, and they're feeling the strain too. I feel like there's going to be a reckoning at some point the more that things approach the state where absolutely nobody except billionaire scumbags can depend on so-called "law enforcement". It doesn't seem at all sustainable.

Major supermarket chains aren't exactly "little people" though, and they're feeling the strain too.
Kind of their own fault also though. They used to provide jobs to the communities they extracted profit from but all that has been replaced now with serve yourself machines and CCTV checking you're not nicking anything and some door staff as hired muscle.
Pretty amusing that the cops aren't being given the funding to police these understaffed profit vehicles in communities, those that can no longer afford to shop there because of the lack of jobs these establishments provide.

I have no love for LV. I think they make cheap, ugly crap and sell it on to hypebeasts with more money than sense.

However, watch the people in the store scatter in fear as these guys come in. These aren't people stealing a bit of food. This is just greed.

Fuck Louis Vuitton and fuck their profits

£100k worth of handbags robbed.
They’ll only get £30k off fences.

These figures are from £200 worth of leather cut up and stitched into shapes and easily replaced.

People are mugs to rate brands so highly.

It's more moral panic blaming the poor for the situation they find themselves in, and It's not new, we were doing it 30 years ago. A bunch of you rush a threshers and grab what you can. Our logic was, it's not stealing if they weren't gonna sell it to you anyway and it's not like it doesn't get instantly replenished anyway. Funny that. They never run out of booze to sell you. Tomatoes might be a push, but we can do you frosty jacks.

Fuck Louis Vuitton and fuck their profits

Thanks, not really being aware of fashion brands unless they're spelled out for me, I had read Yuwipi Woman's post as "I have no love for LG. I think they make cheap, ugly crap and sell it on to hypebeasts with more money than sense." and was thinking that no, their monitors and TVs are actually some of the best, and best value, in the industry.

These aren't people stealing a bit of food. This is just greed.
Not defending their actions but no one goes from being an accountant to a greedy looter.

There has been a progression in their life where crime has become their profession.
From petty crime to organised crime.

Eventually the mindset will be if you are going to do crime it might as well be for Range Rover money rather than food for a week.

Society bears some responsibility for creating some of our own monsters.

Know the name but could never tell you what it actually is that they sell.

After the riots in London about ten or twelve years ago, remember hearing people in the area or on social media getting v angry about certain items being liberated from the big shops.

"Why don't they rob books, eh? Eh?" That was asked often. The inference (?) being that the looters were an illiterate rabble.

Whereas came to realise that if certain material goods are relentlessly hyped/marketed as must have & said items (as you say are ridiculously overpriced) well, most people can't afford them. The desire has been created and amplified by capitalism. You witness the system in action, you experience it day in, day out. You see just how unfair it is. You see the physical brutality of the cops, who uphold that system, who care more about property than people.

Of course you are going to treat yourself to expensive shit when things come to a head. It's a pressure valve, a release, a wild ride. Sitting down and reading a bit of Proust just isn't going to give you that rush or assuage the rage.

(Or maybe it will, haven't read the author)

Not defending their actions but no one goes from being an accountant to a greedy looter.

There has been a progression in their life where crime has become their profession.
From petty crime to organised crime.

Eventually the mindset will be if you are going to do crime it might as well be for Range Rover money rather than food for a week.

Society bears some responsibility for creating some of our own monsters.

Plenty of accountants are criminals. They do more damage to society than shoplifters. Plenty of stuff finance types do is not against the law but it does go against basic morality.

If you're not hurting anyone and you're only stealing from big companies, you can fill your boots for all I care. Just know you'll never get back even 1% of what they stole from you.

however you defend it or explain it, this sort of shopifitng is another sad example of the decline of society. something particularly unnerving and depressing about witnessing such brazen theft.
I disagree, it is inextricably linked to social conditions which have always been shit in the UK due to the Caste system. Nowadays at least the heroic actions of the shoplifters (I see it nothing more than protest), create a wealth of employment opportunities, with lawyers, probabtioners, security guards, security technology (thats a big industry), camera makers, orange die makers, and so on and so forth.
Society needs shoplifters in order to function as intended. See above; Caste system.

Plenty of accountants are criminals. They do more damage to society than shoplifters. Plenty of stuff finance types do is not against the law but it does go against basic morality.

If you're not hurting anyone and you're only stealing from big companies, you can fill your boots for all I care. Just know you'll never get back even 1% of what they stole from you.
There is a cost of living crisis at the moment.
Stores have always passed the cost of wastage onto the customer. It either drives up prices or drives down staff salaries (via less that rate of inflation pay rises). It’s not the big company and it’s executives that suffer. They pass on the pain.

There is a cost of living crisis at the moment.
Stores have always passed the cost of wastage onto the customer. It either drives up prices or drives down staff salaries (via less that rate of inflation pay rises). It’s not the big company and it’s executives that suffer. They pass on the pain.

They charge what they can get away with. Real costs aren't a factor. They'll sell stuff below cost price just to cripple rival businesses.

As far as wastage goes, supermarkets throw away vastly more than they lose to theft. It's more important to create the impression of limitless abundance than to actually sell everything before it rots.

I disagree, it is inextricably linked to social conditions which have always been shit in the UK due to the Caste system. Nowadays at least the heroic actions of the shoplifters (I see it nothing more than protest), create a wealth of employment opportunities, with lawyers, probabtioners, security guards, security technology (thats a big industry), camera makers, orange die makers, and so on and so forth.
Society needs shoplifters in order to function as intended. See above; Caste system.
That's some premium fuzzy logic. I'll just agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom