Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shameless, fawning, Alexandra O Cortez fan thread

cantsin

after this latest 'supporting Mermaids / UK Trans charity' business (via raising $275k playing Donkey Kong on Twitch. obvs), something had to give ( watching the worlds creepiest obsessive Graham Linehan trying to Terfsplain where AoC had gone wrong today was just...twotter joy).

The ammount of sh*t AoC is getting from the similarly obsessed Fox News and the usual alt right no marks, feels a bit ominous at times, but for now it seems to be water off a ducks back.The fact that she's basically put a Green New Deal at the core of what's she's doing, and this has been recognised as such, not a month into her first term in Congress, suggests there's some real focus here ( hopefully some detail will follow on this ).

Of course a 100 x AoC's in Congress won't change sh*t in any meaningful way / long term, and won't be remotely surprised if this thread ends in predictable disappointment ( or just disappears like any other I've ever started ) , but for now, a bit of mid Jan positivity X

after this latest 'supporting Mermaids / UK Trans charity' business (via raising $275k playing Donkey Kong on Twitch. obvs), something had to give ( watching the worlds creepiest obsessive Graham Linehan trying to Terfsplain where AoC had gone wrong today was just...twotter joy).

The ammount of sh*t AoC is getting from the similarly obsessed Fox News and the usual alt right no marks, feels a bit ominous at times, but for now it seems to be water off a ducks back.The fact that she's basically put a Green New Deal at the core of what's she's doing, and this has been recognised as such, not a month into her first term in Congress, suggests there's some real focus here ( hopefully some detail will follow on this ).

Of course a 100 x AoC's in Congress won't change sh*t in any meaningful way / long term, and won't be remotely surprised if this thread ends in predictable disappointment ( or just disappears like any other I've ever started ) , but for now, a bit of mid Jan positivity X
I'm not big on the cult of personality, and I think there are risks in projecting everything good or bad on to one person, as seems to be happening with Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez. She's one of several new kick ass Congresswomen, and I'd like to see them all get credit for the ideas they are pushing.

But yes, she's in that great position where she's able to push the envelope and stretch ideas within the party, within the legislature and within America more widely. Of course the media (not just the obvious right wing outlets, either) are going to focus on her because she gets clicks, and clicks means cash.

(Linehan's mansplaining shit is always WTF, but can you link to what he said about Ocasio-Cortez? Managed to miss that one)

I'm not big on the cult of personality, and I think there are risks in projecting everything good or bad on to one person, as seems to be happening with Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez. She's one of several new kick ass Congresswomen, and I'd like to see them all get credit for the ideas they are pushing.

But yes, she's in that great position where she's able to push the envelope and stretch ideas within the party, within the legislature and within America more widely. Of course the media (not just the obvious right wing outlets, either) are going to focus on her because she gets clicks, and clicks means cash.

(Linehan's mansplaining shit is always WTF, but can you link to what he said about Ocasio-Cortez? Managed to miss that one)

He deleted, but here's fellow over entitled liberal f*cknugget Hadley Freedman, touting the same lame ass Forbes opinion piece as ' REASEARCH' in response to AoC, same as Glinners did :

There's a shameless piece in Current Affairs you might like.

How AOC Is Changing The Game
January 14, 2019
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is showing how the left can seize control of the political conversation. Can she keep it up?
I’ll admit, when Ocasio-Cortez was elected, I was worried. In 2008, a lot of people my age fell in love with Barack Obama, and suffered bitter disappointment when he started listening to Larry Summers instead of Cornel West. Many of us became cynical: We learned not to put much faith in dynamic young leaders, because as soon as they get into power, they will inevitably become just like all the others: They’ll start issuing excuses for why political constraints make it simply impossible to change anything, and while you won’t be able to prove they’re wrong, you’ll come to suspect that they aren’t really trying very hard.

But so far, thank God, Ocasio-Cortez has been an inspiring exception to this. She made it clear that her loyalties weren’t with the Democratic leadership but with the protesters occupying the offices of the Democratic leadership. She told us what really goes on in Congress: When Harvard’s Institute of Politics held a seminar for incoming congresspeople, in which business leaders told them not to rock the boat, Ocasio-Cortez revealed all. You’re not supposed to do that—you’re supposed to handle your concerns quietly within the House, not open up to your constituents about them. They say that she “doesn’t understand how the place works.” But it seems more like they’re the ones who don’t understand how building power works.

Love her. I find myself liking so many of her tweets that it's starting to feel inevitable that there will be some dramatic fall from grace in her future.
TBH the bar is so effing low that I wonder what she'd have to do to still not be way preferable to 95% of US politicians. Though it's a possibility that her new colleagues in Congress are also sound but not so good on social media. We'll see.

TBH the bar is so effing low that I wonder what she'd have to do to still not be way preferable to 95% of US politicians. Though it's a possibility that her new colleagues in Congress are also sound but not so good on social media. We'll see.
What odds you giving on that?

I read an exchange on twitter that ran thusly

'Lefty guys are just re-tweeting cortez because she is hot'
to which the response was
'When I share Sanders content saying the same stuff is it because I want to get teabagged by his droopy old man balls?

god bless america

I was very confused by the dancing video and why that was supposed to be a negative thing. Apparently so were most normal people tho

Apparently AOC at one point made some gaffe about the Consitution or something to do with the political structure of the United States. Saw people on social media declaring that such a basic error was prima facie evidence of her being unfit for office.

Although given the constant gaffes and compulsive lying of the current President, such posturing would seem to be entirely disingenuous.

Apparently AOC at one point made some gaffe about the Consitution or something to do with the political structure of the United States. Saw people on social media declaring that such a basic error was prima facie evidence of her being unfit for office.

Although given the constant gaffes and compulsive lying of the current President, such posturing would seem to be entirely disingenuous.

"She stressed the importance of Democrats taking back control of the Senate, the House, and the White House, which in her rush she referred to as "the three chambers of Congress." It's the verbal equivalent of a typo: an obvious slip-up in an unscripted, unrehearsed moment"

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Knows Exactly How to Smack Down Bad-Faith Arguments

"She stressed the importance of Democrats taking back control of the Senate, the House, and the White House, which in her rush she referred to as "the three chambers of Congress." It's the verbal equivalent of a typo: an obvious slip-up in an unscripted, unrehearsed moment"

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Knows Exactly How to Smack Down Bad-Faith Arguments

Yeah, that was the one. I doubt that AOC would have got as far as she has if she ever actually thought that the US was a tricameral system.

Loved her little dance tweet as a response to the outrage about her dancing when she was younger.

I think she has a great future, along with a bunch of the other new Democrats.

He deleted, but here's fellow over entitled liberal f*cknugget Hadley Freedman, touting the same lame ass Forbes opinion piece as ' REASEARCH' in response to AoC, same as Glinners did :

Oh cripes, I despair at the right wing clap trap that masquerades as feminism in some circles these days. They'll be applauding Trump's latest achievement, no doubt. :rolleyes:

On the bright side though, she makes good points on that thread. She calls out the differing expectations of men and women in politics - ditto POC and white people. And I'd seen before people "taking her to task" about the idea of raising taxes for high earners.

upload_2019-1-22_17-57-57.png

I honestly don't believe that journalists especially are as ignorant of how progressive taxation works as they make out to be when questioning her. I mean everyone in the US fills out a tax return every year, knows they get a deduction before tax, and it's different rates of tax after that depending on how much they earn. It's like they're trying deliberately lying to either try and catch her out or as she says, make her look stupid.

The other thing is how the media try and pit Ocasio-Cortez against Nancy Pelosi (I'm pretty sure they Pelosi is delighted to see Ocassio-Cortez being able to raise issues that in her position, she can't, and Ocasio-Cortez acknowledges the achievements of women who blazed trails before her,) or suggest other new women in Congress may be jealous of all the attention she's getting. FFS, it's so predictable.

Good thing is I think she's very astute - using the attention she's getting to raise issues where if other politicians raise them, they get ignored.

I'm completely cynical about how the media reports anything she does or says, because she's good click bait, whether pieces portray her favourably or not. But they have to keep coming up with new ways to "mine" her value to them, by manufacturing conflicts and controversies. More important to watch what she does as a legislator rather than what she says (or we're told she says.)

Loved her little dance tweet as a response to the outrage about her dancing when she was younger.

I think she has a great future, along with a bunch of the other new Democrats.
I agree, and it may not always be as a politician, and that's cool, too. And yes, this has to be the most impressive slate of Freshman in congress that I've seen in my lifetime.

(I just hope the political infrastructure of the USA isn't becoming so damaged that even their best efforts end up being in vain though.)

Yes, the very relevant legislature and her influence therein.

But of course, her being against the democratic party elite is really her supporting the democratic party elite.

Yes, the very relevant legislature and her influence therein.

But of course, her being against the democratic party elite is really her supporting the democratic party elite.

The insubstantial banality of this thread. Heat magazine for the far left.
giphy.gif

Oh cripes, I despair at the right wing clap trap that masquerades as feminism in some circles these days. They'll be applauding Trump's latest achievement, no doubt. :rolleyes:

On the bright side though, she makes good points on that thread. She calls out the differing expectations of men and women in politics - ditto POC and white people. And I'd seen before people "taking her to task" about the idea of raising taxes for high earners.

View attachment 159448

I honestly don't believe that journalists especially are as ignorant of how progressive taxation works as they make out to be when questioning her. I mean everyone in the US fills out a tax return every year, knows they get a deduction before tax, and it's different rates of tax after that depending on how much they earn. It's like they're trying deliberately lying to either try and catch her out or as she says, make her look stupid.

The other thing is how the media try and pit Ocasio-Cortez against Nancy Pelosi (I'm pretty sure they Pelosi is delighted to see Ocassio-Cortez being able to raise issues that in her position, she can't, and Ocasio-Cortez acknowledges the achievements of women who blazed trails before her,) or suggest other new women in Congress may be jealous of all the attention she's getting. FFS, it's so predictable.

Good thing is I think she's very astute - using the attention she's getting to raise issues where if other politicians raise them, they get ignored.

I'm completely cynical about how the media reports anything she does or says, because she's good click bait, whether pieces portray her favourably or not. But they have to keep coming up with new ways to "mine" her value to them, by manufacturing conflicts and controversies. More important to watch what she does as a legislator rather than what she says (or we're told she says.)
You think Pelosi is happy about what AOC is doing? :confused: :facepalm:

You think Pelosi is happy about what AOC is doing? :confused: :facepalm:
She's the Speaker of the House and the most powerful Democratic party politician in Washington. Trust me, if she was that bothered about what Ocasio-Cortez was saying and doing, she wouldn't be saying and doing it.

The media can't resist the catfight angle when you have women in positions of power, can they? :facepalm:

FFS, look at the media outlets you are quoting from. Vice, Politico and Jacobin consistently push the "Democrats in disarray" bollocks since forever, even after the Democrats flipped 38 House Seats in the midterms - the third largest flip since the early 70's, and that despite hobbling of the VRA and extreme gerrymandering after the 2010 redistricting. But sure, believe whatever you want.

FFS, look at the media outlets you are quoting from. Vice, Politico and Jacobin consistently push the "Democrats in disarray" bollocks since forever, even after the Democrats flipped 38 House Seats in the midterms - the third largest flip since the early 70's, and that despite hobbling of the VRA and extreme gerrymandering after the 2010 redistricting. But sure, believe whatever you want.
The House flips at regular intervals, what's that got to do with anything? If you're so sure Pelosi secretly adores AOC I'd like to see some sources other than your feelings on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom