Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self-driving cars: Motorists will not be liable for crashes and can watch TV behind the wheel, government says

Are you in favour of self-drive cars?

• Total voters

Serene

Slightly disgruntled

Self-driving cars: Motorists will not be liable for crashes and can watch TV behind the wheel, government says​

Insurance companies rather than individuals will be liable for claims if vehicles are involved in collisions, the Department for Transport said.

Self-driving cars: Motorists will not be liable for crashes and can watch TV behind the wheel, government says

🤯

There are currently no vehicles approved for self-driving on UK roads but the first models could be given the green light later this year.

There is a vote above. yes or no and the votes are public.

Last edited:
If insurance companies and not individuals are liable for crashes, this is revolutionatry isnt it? Or maybe not? I mean, I assume the individuals have to insure the vehicle as per usual, or do they? How will it work?

" I was watching the football match, and I didnt see that the car was going to crash, and was unable to disengage auto to manual and steer clear "

The future is here again. What if they can put a unit into them whereby the Police can disable any car remotely, eg in a police chase? They might be limited to the speed limit by gps wherever they go?

If insurance companies and not individuals are liable for crashes, this is revolutionatry isnt it? Or maybe not? I mean, I assume the individuals have to insure the vehicle as per usual, or do they? How will it work?
its not very clear from that article. Currently the insurence company pays for the damage and then when the driver (that was at fault) renews the policy their premium goes up. Maybe it means they won't be allowed to raise the premiums?

I have heard the idea before that car manufactures should be liable (instead of drivers) for self driving car accidents although it doesn't say that here.

It boils down to how can a car owner be responsible for an accident if they are not actually driving?

Self driving cars are supposed to be safer than those driven by humans, so if they fail it seems reasonable for the manufacture to be held responsible, car insurers will pay out and then recover their pay-outs from the manufacture's liability insurers, in the same way as they do currently when another party is responsible for an accident.

With the technology about controlling speed etc. Will the car automatically report you to the authorities if you speed or taken to another degree, just issue you with a speeding ticket. Could it issue you with a parking ticket if you park illegally or drive dangerously......

car insurers will pay out and then recover their pay-outs from the manufacture's liability insurers, in the same way as they do currently when another party is responsible for an accident.
Does this mean that people who drive these cars wont have to pay any insurance fees? And so just need to pay for tax and MOT?

With the technology about controlling speed etc. Will the car automatically report you to the authorities if you speed or taken to another degree, just issue you with a speeding ticket. Could it issue you with a parking ticket if you park illegally or drive dangerously......
I assume there is manual mode and automatic mode. Manual is used to override if theres a problem. How will they know if it was in auto mode or manual mode and also how will they verify it was correct to go to manual to avert trouble? If it speeds in auto mode then its the cars fault. How will they know? A tacho in the computer?

If there is a manual override, then how can they allow the driver to watch television?? Incidentally. I have seen drivers watching telly as they are driving, quite a few times!

Does this mean that people who drive these cars wont have to pay any insurance fees? And so just need to pay for tax and MOT?

You would still need car insurance to cover you when it's not in 'self-drive' mode, and for damage done by others whilst using it or just parked, fire, theft of it or bits of it, etc., etc.

You are having a laugh, no insurance premiums! Quite often these days, many claims are listed as 50/50 and even if involved in an RTA which is not necessarily your fault, the premiums can go up.
I remember a time when it was quite, err, naughty to have sex in a car while driving!

I assume there is manual mode and automatic mode. Manual is used to override if theres a problem. How will they know if it was in auto mode or manual mode and also how will they verify it was correct to go to manual to avert trouble? If it speeds in auto mode then its the cars fault. How will they know? A tacho in the computer?
There are already supercars and HyperCars that report literally every move back to the manufacturer and have done so for a few years.

There are already supercars and HyperCars that report literally every move back to the manufacturer and have done so for a few years.
I didnt know that. This is a good thing. The database to cope with that must be the size of a country.

" I was watching the football match, and I didnt see that the car was going to crash, and was unable to disengage auto to manual and steer clear "

The future is here again. What if they can put a unit into them whereby the Police can disable any car remotely, eg in a police chase? They might be limited to the speed limit by gps wherever they go?
I think that these two developments are inevitable. Insurance policies might offer a hefty discount if drivers do not exceed the speed limit when on auto drive. In fact, the more auto driving time, the bigger the discount.

And the police will inevitably invoke terrorism/warondrugs/pedos as a rationale for remotely shutting down cars. They will promise that it's reserved for really grave life or death situations, and then their powers will creep outwards over time.

If there is a manual override, then how can they allow the driver to watch television?? Incidentally. I have seen drivers watching telly as they are driving, quite a few times!

As far as I understand it, these rules would only allow up to a certain speed, after which they become manual drive, likewise if there's a problem with 'self drive mode' the car should alert you, so you take over the driving.

Clearly, if you are actually driving, you wouldn't be allowed to watch the TV.

Not just supercars etc. Tesla, Toyota, nissan, BMW, GM cars can all send data to manufacturer. I also see in this there are cameras in cars which can monitor what the driver does

I'm well up for self-driving cars tbh, driving is a pain in the arse and I'd give it up in a second.

Incidentally I read something about this recently that made me think, that the real potential in this is actually in networks of self driving cars. Not cars that come to a junction, slow down, and scan for what's coming like an automated version of a human driver but ones that already know what's coming well before the junction and are calibrating their speed already.

its not very clear from that article. Currently the insurence company pays for the damage and then when the driver (that was at fault) renews the policy their premium goes up. Maybe it means they won't be allowed to raise the premiums?

I have heard the idea before that car manufactures should be liable (instead of drivers) for self driving car accidents although it doesn't say that here.

Self-driving cars should provide "superhuman" levels of safety, often defined as 10x safer than human drivers. In fact, I think that such a huge step-up is absolutely necessary, because, at least at first, every single self-driving accident will make the news. If self-driving cars were merely human-level competent, then the volume of reporting would be disastrous.

It also becoming clear that owners will not accept liability for s-d accidents. So it's up to the manufacturers an/or insurers. Such in-house underwriting could be a profitable opportunity for manufacturers, as they will receive minutely detailed driving data sent back from every car. With such a trove of data, they can use machine learning to price insurance policies with remarkable precision; Tesla is working on this now.

Last edited:
It definitely is not driving cars, which, despite the traffic etc. Some people still enjoy. I saw a neighbour taking his corvette out yesterday. He had a huge smile on his face which is probably like me when I take. My little Alfa out. It's not practical just pure fun.

Back
Top Bottom