Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self-driving cars: Motorists will not be liable for crashes and can watch TV behind the wheel, government says

Are you in favour of self-drive cars?

• Total voters
This makes a lot of sense. Where are all the cars going to park then?
They won't need to park as much. Private cars are parked 95% of the time. Ideally a Robocar would be in constant motion, but 12 per day might be typical (same as London cab). Overnight they would drive themselves to depots on industrial estates for recharging, maintenance and cleaning.

Generally spreaking, I am not set in my views on this, but remain to be convinced. Also be aware that AV use will only affect an absolute maximum of only about 10% of transport trips in inner urban districts by 2041. So the bigger issues of how it affects the public realm and the use of genuinely sustainable transport modes is very important.
Where did you find the 10% in 2041 forecast?

Can AVs be part of a picture where people making use of the streets by sustainable modes is maximised. Designing streets for cars definitely results in supoptimal designs for sustainable modes. Can designs for partial or complete adoption of (motorised) AVs do any better?

They won't need to park as much. Private cars are parked 95% of the time. Ideally a Robocar would be in constant motion, but 12 per day might be typical (same as London cab). Overnight they would drive themselves to depots on industrial estates for recharging, maintenance and cleaning.
How many cars are currently on the road today? Maybe there is a tally somewhere on transport department. I am thinking the depots would need to be extremely large to accomodate them. Also they cant be driving around empty as they would be inefficient in respect to whats needed to help the environment problem.

I am not a chauffeur,I do not transfer people from a to b. I pick up fallen people.
I don't really understand what that means. But is it necessary for you to drive the vehicle ? Would a self-driving vehicle that Tuens up when you need and goes way when youd on't be more convenient ?

Last edited:
I don't really understand what that means. But is it necessary for you to drive the vehicle ? Would a self-driving vehicle that Tuens up when you need and goes way when yo udon't be more convenient ?
I operate a careline/telecare system. Basically if someone falls and can't get up, I go out and help them, 24/7. Some people are amputees, some have no use of their legs, some are very big or heavy, in which case we use special equipment to get them back to their feet. I do not work for the LAS but a local authority and will do this usually without referral to anyone else.

How many cars are currently on the road today? Maybe there is a tally somewhere on transport department. I am thinking the depots would need to be extremely large to accomodate them. Also they cant be driving around empty as they would be inefficient in respect to whats needed to help the environment problem.
There are 36 million car and vans in the UK. But "one extra car in a car-sharing service typically takes 9-13 cars off the road. Self-driving vehicles could, in short, reduce urban vehicle numbers by as much as 90%."

Among other effects, the transition to autonomous Mobility-as-a-Service will devastate the car manufacturing industry (and dealerships, maintenance, insurance, etc.), which will all have to shrink drastically.

TfL Source: Not sure if it is public.

View attachment 319419
Point taken. The remaining 10%-15% is presumably private road vehicles, which take up a lot of surface space now. AVs can improve this by eliminating many parking spaces. Also, inner London is not representative of the country as a whole, which I suspect is not as richly served with public transport choices. It would be a big job to do the analysis for the UK as a whole.

I operate a careline/telecare system. Basically if someone falls and can't get up, I go out and help them, 24/7. Some people are amputees, some have no use of their legs, some are very big or heavy, in which case we use special equipment to get them back to their feet. I do not work for the LAS but a local authority and will do this usually without referral to anyone else.
Understood. What's your view on the attractiveness of autonomous vehicles compared to the states quo ?

Understood. What's your view on the attractiveness of autonomous vehicles compared to the states quo ?
As already stated, good for some, not for me. I like my little car with few gadgets. I control virtually everything on it, no. Auto box, no auto lights, wipers etc. The car does what I get it to do. It's a relatively pure driving experience.
The issue about the number of cars on the road is an entirely different debate which will not be solved by autonomous cars.

This report a few weeks ago was pessimistic about the prospects for self-driving cars in the near future - apparently they work very well on highways etc., but things get a lot trickier in cities.

“Number one is that this stuff is harder than manufacturers realised,” says Matthew Avery, director of research at Thatcham Research. While about 80% of self-driving is relatively simple – making the car follow the line of the road, stick to a certain side, avoid crashing – the next 10% involves more difficult situations such as roundabouts and complex junctions. “The last 10% is really difficult,” says Avery. “That’s when you’ve got, you know, a cow standing in the middle of the road that doesn’t want to move.”

It’s the last 20% that the AV industry is stuck on, especially the final 10%, which covers the devilish problem of “edge cases”. These are rare and unusual events that occur on the road such as a ball bouncing across the street followed by a running child; complicated roadworks that require the car to mount the kerb to get past; a group of protesters wielding signs."

Edge cases are indeed really tough problems. But the sheer mass of data being collected, and the amazing increases in AI power are allowing them to be knocked down, one by painstakingly one.

Above are cases involving a moose and a kangaroo.

There are many commentators who spread inaccurate information. Sometimes in bad faith, but more often because the state of the art is moving so fast that it's difficult to keep up.

As already stated, good for some, not for me. I like my little car with few gadgets. I control virtually everything on it, no. Auto box, no auto lights, wipers etc. The car does what I get it to do. It's a relatively pure driving experience.
The issue about the number of cars on the road is an entirely different debate which will not be solved by autonomous cars.
Let's discuss this again in ten years' time.

Probably. Their are many people out there that cherish and regularly drive their classics which can be 50+ years old. This enjoyment will not necessarily pass because the car has been reinvented.
Yes, and they will follow the trajectory of horses, from working animals in their tens of millions to enthusiast hobbies. Horses are doing quite well out of this apparently. After a plunge in numbers from 1910 to mid century, numbers have been increasing modestly but consistently as more people take up recreational riding ( in the USA)

[/QUOTE]
That's just stupid and from what I saw the other day you can watch TV but not make a phone call. How the fuck can watching TV be less distracting than making a phonecall? :facepalm:

I also saw the other day that police in the US went to stop a car because it had no lights on only to find no-one driving it. :eek: :D Doesn't give you much hope for self driving if the car can't work out it's dark. :eek: :(

Surely if the occupant of a vehicle is not in control of it, and the vehicle is instead guided by some kind of autonomous system, then would not legal liability then fall upon whoever was responsible for designing and/or implementing said autonomous system?

Why would insurance companies be liable in this case? Are they the ones who are supposed to be entirely responsible for ensuring the safety and reliability of autonomous vehicle guidance? I don't understand why it isn't the companies pushing this stuff who are responsible.

I'm broadly in favour of the idea of self-driving vehicles, but this particular legal move would seem at first blush to be an attempt to outsource liability. What do the insurance companies gain from this?

Edge cases are indeed really tough problems. But the sheer mass of data being collected, and the amazing increases in AI power are allowing them to be knocked down, one by painstakingly one.

Above are cases involving a moose and a kangaroo.

There are many commentators who spread inaccurate information. Sometimes in bad faith, but more often because the state of the art is moving so fast that it's difficult to keep up.

Unfortunate choice of words. :eek: :D

Oh right, I got the impression you liked it. I have added a poll vote. You can vote yes or no, and the votes are public.
misses a fence sitting option
so
anywways:
I'd love a self driving car for the commute/motorway boredom
I want to have fun on roads like these though
"any mountain road"
and probablty others too not specifically on mountains which are fun to navigate
so an abstention from me on the vote

its not very clear from that article. Currently the insurence company pays for the damage and then when the driver (that was at fault) renews the policy their premium goes up. Maybe it means they won't be allowed to raise the premiums?

I have heard the idea before that car manufactures should be liable (instead of drivers) for self driving car accidents although it doesn't say that here.
But if it’s a no fault collision, your comprehensive policy pays out. So if the old codger has a heart attack and crashes into you, that’s hardly his fault, so his insurance will not pay out..it will be yours.
They are banking on the total number of crashes reducing. People with third party fire and theft policies will be screwed .

When visiting clients to help them amongst other things, I have a first aid kit and this. It is not possible on a bike.

So, you'd still have to go through the whole expensive process of getting a driving license to go on them? I love driving and I'm not sure I fully trust them, so I wouldn't be in a rush to get in one of them. Probably too old to adopt this new fangled tech ;)

I recently got a courtesy car after someone hit my car and it had cameras for assisted parking and it also knew what the speed limit was in most roads I was on... Useful, you'd think, but it felt spooky and intrusive. Was happy to get my "dumb" car back and manage parking and keeping to speed limit on my own.

Back
Top Bottom