Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self-driving cars: Motorists will not be liable for crashes and can watch TV behind the wheel, government says

Are you in favour of self-drive cars?

• Total voters
I think that the three overlapping changes in cars: a) switch to batteries, b) full self-driving and c) so-called "mobility as a service" will transform the very notion of owning car, starting during the second half of this decade. Imagine that you subscribe to a Mobility Service. You can order a small podule to drive at your front door to take you to and from the office, and a bigger one for family trips. These autonomous vehicles are in use much more than the 5% of time that personal vehicles are used. It might be the end for conventional buses, too.

If superhuman self-driving safety can be cracked, then I think the economic, productivity, road space efficiency, safety, environmental and convenience benefits of "MasS" will be overwhelming.

It took one decade for cars to replace horses. It don't see why this second revolution should take any longer.

Attachments

• Self-Driving-Cars_ARK-Invest-WP.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
For many idiots on the road, self driving, controlling cars will be good. My little Alfa is very basic with few gadgets, a horn, indicators, central locking etc. And no auto stuff thank you. There is another thread about this 😉

For many idiots on the road, self driving, controlling cars will be good. My little Alfa is very basic with few gadgets, a horn, indicators, central locking etc. And no auto stuff thank you. There is another thread about this 😉
But in the 2030s, autodriving will be mandated on public roads, as will non-polluting cars.

But it's not all over for petrol heads. I know a rich Bavarian family which keeps horses, and who are also classic Porsche enthusiasts. They expect in the future, that they will tow the Porches to the track at weekends, to give them a breath of fresh air, just as they do now with their horses.

Last edited:
There is no case at all for privately-owned driverless cars in urban areas of the UK.

Eta: Am I wrong?
It is a requirement of my employment that I have my own car for visiting clients and indeed, I spent the best part of a day visiting them last week. Also I do not fancy struggling to and from work before or after certain shifts including the likes of Christmas day, good Friday etc. When there is little or no public transport.

It is a requirement of my employment that I have my own car for visiting clients and indeed, I spent the best part of a day visiting them last week. Also I do not fancy struggling to and from work before or after certain shifts including the likes of Christmas day, good Friday etc. When there is little or no public transport.

Do you agree with their requirements? There are many reasons why private car use is convenient. But not essential.

Generally spreaking, I am not set in my views on this, but remain to be convinced. Also be aware that AV use will only affect an absolute maximum of only about 10% of transport trips in inner urban districts by 2041. So the bigger issues of how it affects the public realm and the use of genuinely sustainable transport modes is very important.

No one cares about watching TV, but if you’re allowed to do that surely you can be pissed too, yeah?

I didnt know that. This is a good thing. The database to cope with that must be the size of a country.
Would you be satisified with a pod that arrives at your house on command, takes you around your clients, while you catch up on emails during the trips, drops you off at home, and then trundles off to its next job ? And costs much less than your current arrangements.

With the technology about controlling speed etc. Will the car automatically report you to the authorities if you speed or taken to another degree, just issue you with a speeding ticket. Could it issue you with a parking ticket if you park illegally or drive dangerously......
Just like ANPR currently fines you automatically for entering the Congestion Zone or bus lanes, but relentless and infallible.

Do you agree with their requirements? There are many reasons why private car use is convenient. But not essential.
Yes, in part. I have to visit clients of all hours of the day and night, take lots of gear with me. I have worked nights on Christmas day once or twice. When I took the job up,I asked if I could use a bike. It was not and is not possible.
Also, try getting home after a long shift at 07.00on Christmas morning.

Would you be satisified with a pod that arrives at your house on command, takes you around your clients, while you catch up on emails during the trips, drops you off at home, and then trundles off to its next job ? And costs much less than your current arrangements.
I am not a chauffeur,I do not transfer people from a to b. I pick up fallen people.

Yes, in part. I have to visit clients of all hours of the day and night, take lots of gear with me. I have worked nights on Christmas day once or twice. When I took the job up,I asked if I could use a bike. It was not and is not possible.
Also, try getting home after a long shift at 07.00on Christmas morning.
There is only one job like that. Are you Santa?

This report a few weeks ago was pessimistic about the prospects for self-driving cars in the near future - apparently they work very well on highways etc., but things get a lot trickier in cities.

“Number one is that this stuff is harder than manufacturers realised,” says Matthew Avery, director of research at Thatcham Research. While about 80% of self-driving is relatively simple – making the car follow the line of the road, stick to a certain side, avoid crashing – the next 10% involves more difficult situations such as roundabouts and complex junctions. “The last 10% is really difficult,” says Avery. “That’s when you’ve got, you know, a cow standing in the middle of the road that doesn’t want to move.”

It’s the last 20% that the AV industry is stuck on, especially the final 10%, which covers the devilish problem of “edge cases”. These are rare and unusual events that occur on the road such as a ball bouncing across the street followed by a running child; complicated roadworks that require the car to mount the kerb to get past; a group of protesters wielding signs."

Back
Top Bottom