Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Saudi Arabian court wants to paralyse a man

Bahnhof Strasse

Met up with Hannah Courtoy a week next Tuesday
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11045848

Amnesty International has urged Saudi authorities to stop any attempt to medically paralyse a man as a judicial punishment.

A Saudi judge is reported to have asked hospitals if it is possible to cut the spinal cord of the man, found guilty of paralysing another man in a fight.

Amnesty said intentionally paralysing someone would constitute torture.

Under Islamic law in Saudi Arabia, retribution sentences can include eye-gouging and, for murder, beheading.

Proper wrong that is.

Bloody hell. They take this eye-for-an-eye thing a bit seriously, eh?

Barbaric.

said:
Under Islamic law in Saudi Arabia, retribution sentences can include eye-gouging and, for murder, beheading.
They're overlooking all the bits in Islam about forgiveness, compassion and mercy. Why do they just want to practice the harsh, vengeance, merciless bits? :confused:

Maybe it has something to do with those harsh, vengeance, merciless bits of Islam as well as other factors?
Most of those bits come from the Old Testament anyway. To say it's something special about Islam, to which the other Abrahamic faiths - or indeed any state-sanctioned religion - are immune is just pure bigotry.

Who on earth said such a ridiculous thing? Just because something derives from something it doesn't let it off the hook, nor does it mean that later followers have not developed those original characteristics in a more aggressive or defined way. The derivation is not exact is it?

Hopefully their doctors practice the HippoCraicTick oath to do no harm and will tell them possible or not no doctor can perform the procedure on ethical grounds.

I think there is a massive difference between religion and religion used as a tool of state repression. Unfortunately, it is rare to find one without the other. To single out Islam, as if Christianity and Judaism, Hinduism - or even Buddhism - have never been used for the same purpose - or to imply that similar things could never have happened without Islam specifically - is just bigotry. It's not a particularly repressive religion by comparison with most - it forbids aggressive proselytisation and demands that followers of other faiths are left to their own beliefs and judged by their own laws. It just happens to have its origins in the Middle East, which just happens to have a lot of oil, and therefore a lot of oil-based dictatorships - with Saudi having developed its own special brand of Islam to suit its purposes.

I think there is a massive difference between religion and religion used as a tool of state repression. Unfortunately, it is rare to find one without the other. To single out Islam, as if Christianity and Judaism, Hinduism - or even Buddhism - have never been used for the same purpose - or to imply that similar things could never have happened without Islam specifically - is just bigotry. It's not a particularly repressive religion by comparison with most - it forbids aggressive proselytisation and demands that followers of other faiths are left to their own beliefs and judged by their own laws. It just happens to have its origins in the Middle East, which just happens to have a lot of oil, and therefore a lot of oil-based dictatorships - with Saudi having developed its own special brand of Islam to suit its purposes.

Who on earth did such a ridiculous thing?

my understanding of it is that all the truly barbaric practices as practised in the KSA are derived specifically from the Wahhabism imposed by those utter charmers the House of Saud, when they staged their takeover.
btw, I don't think anyone on this thread has "implied that similar things could never have happened without Islam specifically" - not BA, not anyone.
e2a: If there is one country in the world I want to have a commie revolution more than any other - it's Saudi. There is not a single good thing that could be said about the House of Saud.

A vile nation that ought to be bombed back to the stone age-wait they are actually still in the stone age.

A vile nation that ought to be bombed back to the stone age-wait they are actually still in the stone age.

I'm pretty sure they have metal over there, so no they are not 'in the stone age'.

Carpet bombing - humanitarianism's greatest tool, apparently.

I don't think bombing the nation is the answer, but if the populous were to rise up tear the limbs off the members of the House of Fraud and use them for dog food, I'd not complain.

Then they could go about renouncing their backward religion too...

Saudis on the whole are fucking mental. This is all the proof you need:

Back
Top Bottom