Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Saudi Arabian court wants to paralyse a man

The same argument can be said for both the victims and criminals family.
On a minor scale, a family loses out when the bloke is sent to prison for a few months. Of course this is much worse for the family of someone who is executed.

On a minor scale, a family loses out when the bloke is sent to prison for a few months. Of course this is much worse for the family of someone who is executed.

In the US, people in prison have to pay for phone calls, toiletries, etc. Each inmate has a fund set up by a private corporation that handles the accounts. Relatives often put money into them to help pay the costs of things in prison. One women said that to give her son $50, she had to put $70 in the account to pay the associated fees. Phone calls could run $3 for the first minute, and a dollar a minute thereafter. They even charge women for tampons. Not only is this a burden to people who were not convicted of a crime, someone is making an oversized profit off it.

That also brings up the question of what if the person wasn't guilty but wrongly sentenced? Same reason I'm against the death penalty, (although to be fair, I'm against DP anyway as I think it's hypocritical to kill someone to show that killing is wrong).

I was only able to find this:

Saudi Man Escapes Punishment Of Full Paralysis For Stabbing His Friend

It appears that his family was allowed to pay compensation instead. While the punishment was inappropriate, I have to wonder if people should be able to buy their way out of trouble. Doesn't that just lead to the rich being able to do whatever they please?

The whole ruling elite exist only because they can buy their way out of trouble. So at least it’s consisstent....

The whole ruling elite exist only because they can buy their way out of trouble. So at least it’s consisstent....

Nothing to do with them being one of the biggest, most powerful middle eastern countries or the worlds second biggest oil producer or because they are a great consumer of arms.
Now where's that thread about Saudi's dominance?

Back
Top Bottom