Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand: rape and sexual abuse allegations, grifting and general dodginess - discussion

Someone high up in Lads mag publishing, pushed a friend of mine up against the fence in the backstage area of Reading festival and got very letchy with hands and mouth. No one intervened. She was pinned against the fence in a public area. She was shouting and telling him to get off. Her boyfriend heard her, came over and yanked him off. Was about to lay into him and then people intervened, to protect him. He was a foul man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eg in a particularly laddish setting a female friend would say 'don't worry, i can take a lad's joke, I'm a bit of a geezer-bird'

Marina Hyde is worth reading, as always: The brave victims of Russell Brand’s misogyny deserve full support. This time, let’s get it right | Marina Hyde Not least because she can criticise herself.
Well done Marina Hyde for that , really.
What we now need is
1) Full disclosure about the Octopus Nick Cohen
2) the Guardian admitting and apologising for having targeted Julian Assange in the interests of US foreign policy: specifically those two pieces of human excrement Alan Rusbridger and Nick Davies
…..it wont happen though will it?

I've heard it quite a bit at the tail end of lads mags, early to mid 2000s. I always just assumed it was somehow connected to lads culture, but maybe it was a west london thing?

Edit - geezer bird, that is

Could be. That's my neck of the woods too, or was, enough for me to be picking up lingo and slang from round there.

Well done Marina Hyde for that , really.
What we now need is
1) Full disclosure about the Octopus Nick Cohen
2) the Guardian admitting and apologising for having targeted Julian Assange in the interests of US foreign policy: specifically those two pieces of human excrement Alan Rusbridger and Nick Davies
…..it wont happen though will it?

You're really going to go with 'poor victimised Julian Assange' on this thread?

I think he made enemies wherever he went. Not that I heard any sleazy stuff but did hear he was generally full of himself and a bit of an arsehole.

Coke innit.
And his underlying wankerhood being exposed by his highly obvious high.

Not heard any sleazy stuff... Would he have been so ready to pinion a woman against a fence if it wasn't an ordinary part of his behaviour...

Reactions: Sue
Coke innit.
And his underlying wankerhood being exposed by his highly obvious high.

Not heard any sleazy stuff... Would he have been so ready to pinion a woman against a fence if it wasn't an ordinary part of his behaviour...

ETA
Might be straying into prejudicial territory here. Maybe a mod would prefer me to redact this.

I can't report this though cos I'm on my phone.

They were shit. I never bought them but when I worked on a switchboard would read them to pass the time as someone in another office used to courier them across. Some of it was fucking awful looking back and may have given me at 18 a bit of a skewed impression of reality. Some of those Jimmy Carr jokes sounded very familiar actually. I always wondered where he nicked his material from.

Peoples' behaviour is a function of contemporary sensibilities and laws.

Sensibilities and laws change over time

Present sensibilities are becoming retrospectively enforceable.

This is clearly illogical

hmm what the bets you the boring type of middle aged fuck wit who drones on all the time about the times being to woke
because you cannot make sexist or racist jokes anymore because of liberals ruining the country

Reactions: tim
In terms of 70s attitudes, I was referring to attitudes in comedy (should have said so). As to your wider point, I'm not sure the 70s as a whole gets a pass in terms of gender. Needless to say, I agree that Thatcherism did a lot to undermine what progress had been made, politically, culturally and economically.
Didn't mean to suggest the 70s gets a pass in terms of gender. Of course it doesn't. There was some appalling indefensible shit in comedy and elsewhere.

But the scene in which Ross began his career in the late 80s was one defined by the new wave of comedy at the start of the decade: comic store/comic strip/alternative comedy and so on. Some of that was a breath of fresh air at the time. (My use of the phrase 'Thatcher's children' wasn't intended to suggest it was all in sympathy with neo-liberalism - much of it was a reaction against it). By the start of this century that new wave was the new mainstream. However also by the end of the century elements of entirely un-ironic 'edgy' misogyny, homophobia and unpleasantness were creeping in. That's onstage - offstage there were also 'men behaving badly'. I don't know that there were more of them but greater levels of financial and career success did appear to breed new levels of entitlement and impunity as they already had in parts of the music business. "Comedy is the new rock and roll" - coined as a joke - not so funny in retrospect. This is the period in which Brand's career took off.

That Big Fat Quiz of the Year clip isn't an outlier. I remember - pretty sure it wasn't here - coming across an online discussion of people's favourite episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Some people were suggesting episodes where the insults 'banter' addressed at people in the Identity Round was particularly 'strong'. But there were also people making a case for the late 1999 episode where Mark Lamarr had Gail Porter in tears. From a Guardian interview with Lamarr the following February:
Lamarr is nonetheless amazed to have been accused of misogyny. (...) It's the misogynist jibe that really irks. "People say, 'You've made fun of Caprice and Gail Porter' and I think, 'Well, not only are they not examples of great womanhood, but I've never made fun of them for being women. Ever.' I make fun of people, you know? It would have been sexist not to make fun of Gail Porter posing nude. To treat someone as different and inferior because of their sex - that's sexism. If that's laddism then I am laddish."
Not exactly hiding is it, just in plain sight.

Didn't mean to suggest the 70s gets a pass in terms of gender. Of course it doesn't. There was some appalling indefensible shit in comedy and elsewhere.

But the scene in which Ross began his career in the late 80s was one defined by the new wave of comedy at the start of the decade: comic store/comic strip/alternative comedy and so on. Some of that was a breath of fresh air at the time. (My use of the phrase 'Thatcher's children' wasn't intended to suggest it was all in sympathy with neo-liberalism - much of it was a reaction against it). By the start of this century that new wave was the new mainstream. However also by the end of the century elements of entirely un-ironic 'edgy' misogyny, homophobia and unpleasantness were creeping in. That's onstage - offstage there were also 'men behaving badly'. I don't know that there were more of them but greater levels of financial and career success did appear to breed new levels of entitlement and impunity as they already had in parts of the music business. "Comedy is the new rock and roll" - coined as a joke - not so funny in retrospect. This is the period in which Brand's career took off.

That Big Fat Quiz of the Year clip isn't an outlier. I remember - pretty sure it wasn't here - coming across an online discussion of people's favourite episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Some people were suggesting episodes where the insults 'banter' addressed at people in the Identity Round was particularly 'strong'. But there were also people making a case for the late 1999 episode where Mark Lamarr had Gail Porter in tears. From a Guardian interview with Lamarr the following February:

I'm not sure I agree about which period this all came out of and the rest, but certainly agree it was fucking horrible. I do agree with you that there was a sense of this being a new wave, similar to horrible sports programmes like Do They Think it's All Over. It was seen as a break from stuffy programmes like Question of Sport, but just laddish bullying shit. And of course included the likes of Rory McGrath and Lee Hurst. Yuk.

Always felt uncomfortable with the identity round on the show. Similar with the grope the mystery guest round on that sports quiz with the dodgy panellists.

Always felt uncomfortable with the identity round on the show. Similar with the grope the mystery guest round on that sports quiz with the dodgy panellists.
Lamaar was and presumably still is, a fucking bully. He was also charged with assault and false imprisonment though it was discontinued and the CPS apologised to him, so make of that what you want.

Lamaar was and presumably still is, a fucking bully. He was also charged with assault and false imprisonment though it was discontinued and the CPS apologised to him, so make of that what you want.

I have some personal experience of Lamaar’s nasty bullying behaviour. Another dick. And his peers failing to curb him in any way at all despite agreeing that he was out of order.

As a point of information, new laws can't be enforced retrospectively, while those found guilty of historic crimes are sentenced according to maximum sentencing guidelines at the time of the offences. Those max sentences clearly are a reflection of the sensibilities of the time.

Historic Sex Abuse – Your Questions Answered

ETA:

This isn't just a legal nicety. We have seen people convicted of historic sex abuse receive shorter sentences than they would have received had the offences been committed more recently.
That was 100% the case in my case. Each offence warranted a mere 2 years. It'd be more like 10 now.

And being a geezer-bird was / is something to aspire to.

I always thought geezer birds was a slang word for lesbians, but I think I got that idea from a film (the rather vile Andy Serkis character from Mike Leigh’s Career Girls I think) so perhaps not the best frame of reference.

They were shit. I never bought them but when I worked on a switchboard would read them to pass the time as someone in another office used to courier them across. Some of it was fucking awful looking back and may have given me at 18 a bit of a skewed impression of reality. Some of those Jimmy Carr jokes sounded very familiar actually. I always wondered where he nicked his material from.
Jim Davidson

Private Eye magazine,from which this item comes, always employs this "typo".
There was that one time they called him Farter Fuck

In 1989 Carter-Ruck publicly attacked the £600,000 damages awarded to Sonia Sutcliffe against the magazine and was invited to an Eye lunch, an occasion he attended with some trepidation. Not long afterwards, he asked if, in the new spirit of friendship, they would now stop printing the first letter of Ruck as an F. Their response, not unpredictably, was to print the first letter of Carter as an F as well. 'I think my relationship with Private Eve [sic] is now definitely hate,' he said later

Perfect illustration of how the new wave of knowing, ironic comedy was just the same as the old misogynistic shit. Carr and Davidson could have solved their differences and bonded over their shared interest in racism.
Tbh in some ways it was worse. Everyone knew what Bernard Manning was about, he wasn't doing any knowing winks he just said the shit he thought. The real poison of shows like Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Mock The Week etc at their worst (and not just them - basically every "edgy" Channel Four programme from Big Breakfast on up), was the way they inveigled everyone involved to be competitively nasty. You could see comics who were usually pretty decent getting caught up in the one-upmanship. And the press absolutely ate it up, the Bear Pit. All justified to the rest of us on the grounds it was breaking free from the fusty old conservativism of the past. Which it usually wasn't, really, it was just repackaging for a faster, more aggressive age.

Last edited:
It's a tendency that reaches its apotheosis in the roast, which has become this totemic example of the comic let loose, the full roar of the unfettered laugh riot. And they're almost always utter shit. Absolute tedious by the numbers trash. If a woman is the target you can list the punchlines about her being a slut, fat, ugly, something about abortions blah blah blah before the comedian even opens their mouth.

Back
Top Bottom