Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rishi Sunak's Time is Up

The "Plan for Motorists" sounds grim. Basically ripping up the playbook of Sustainable Transport. Very little or none of it will get implemented before the Tories are turfed out and it wont win him a single vote, More a sign of desperation than anything, but it is terrible mood music.

Last edited:
The "Plan for Motorists" sounds grim. Basically ripping up the playbook of Sustainable Transport. Very little or none of it will get implemented before the Tories are turfed out and it wont win him a single vote, More a sign of desperation than anything, but it is terrible mood music.

I think the recent 'announcements' purporting to be the re-launch of the 'real' Sunak reveal, more than anything, the paucity of good news that the parties private pollsters/focus-groupers are able to present to the No.10 machine.

Apologies, I’ve not read this thread. But I’m increasingly worried that sunak’s anti green policies are going to get the tories elected again.
What do others think?

Reactions: LDC
Nah, it's a vote loser. Everyone can see that we need to make changes.

If we didn't have FPTP then we'd see a big green vote in the next election. Maybe we still will in safe Labour seats.

Apologies, I’ve not read this thread. But I’m increasingly worried that sunak’s anti green policies are going to get the tories elected again.
What do others think?
I think it adds to the perception that they don’t have a long term plan or basic economic literacy and it will lose them votes in their shire seats in the south to Lib Dem’s or Labour.

What do others think?

My thoughts on it are that it's not random or bad planning or desperation at all, but a carefully considered and worryingly quite good plan...

I think they know it's looking unlikely they're going to the win the next election. They've latched onto this as an issue to force the hand of Labour to take a stance against them that I think will enable them to argue the case against any policies that they can paint as unfair or causing problems for the 'average person/hard working family/etc.' which I think will be a strong line of attack and sadly quite popular, and we can see that already with some issues. Labour are already running scared on some issues, look at their refusal to cancel Rosebank oil for example.

I do think people want changes around the environment and climate (the polling says so regularly) but what changes and how much people want their daily lives to be impacted is another whole area that's much less clear.

So, I think they're using this to help them win the next election, but more realistically will likely lose that but are hoping they can then spend 4 years painting Labour as eco-zealots against the 'normal folks' and come back in the election of 2028 elected partly on that ticket.

It does worry me.

Last edited:
What do others think?

I think “vote loser” will be a popular opinion within the urban echo chamber.

Reactions: LDC
I think “vote loser” will be a popular opinion within the urban echo chamber.
Whilst these 'policy' moves clearly derive from focus group findings that they might shore up the core/cunt vote, there's also got to be a danger that they have the capacity to repel more than they attract and represent net vote loser decisions.

What do others think?
Just my own gut feeling but i can't see the tories winning the next election. Not so sure they would have won the last one if brexit didn't exist.

Whilst these 'policy' moves clearly derive from focus group findings that they might shore up the core/cunt vote, there's also got to be a danger that they have the capacity to repel more than they attract and represent net vote loser decisions.

Sure, yeah.

I think they have the turnout more in mind than actually expecting to change anyone’s mind.

Lots of the core vote are very lukewarm (at best) re:Sunak.

Last edited:
Sure, yeah.

I think they have the turnout more in mind than actually expecting to change anyone’s mind.
Yeah, higher road deaths/injuries, polluted air and climate breakdown are a hard sell to all but complete sociopaths

I think you are possibly indicating that they’re onto something. 🤔
Yes, their private party polling and focus grouping will obviously be most directly aimed at their (sociopathic) 'core' voters. They know they're toast, but addressing the core might limit some damage.

Yeah, higher road deaths/injuries, polluted air and climate breakdown are a hard sell to all but complete sociopaths

But that's not what they're going to argue on.

They'll argue on financial cost to families/people, the State telling you what to do, freedom of choice, the UK is doing its fair share of climate related stuff, etc. etc.

This stuff isn't logical, it's massively emotional and we have decades of personal freedom and a society completely structured around this on every area of life in a way that makes it very, very difficult to change.

They're done it from both ends; create a situation where living costs and financial stuff is much harder for many, and now argue that these green measures will make it worse. Which in some ways is true, some of the way this stuff is bring implemented is unfair, as structurally it's very hard for the State or any government to do anything but that.

But that's not what they're going to argue on.

They'll argue on financial cost to families/people, the State telling you what to do, freedom of choice, the UK is doing its fair share of climate related stuff, etc. etc.

This stuff isn't logical, it's massively emotional and we have decades of personal freedom and a society completely structured around this on every area of life in a way that makes it very, very difficult to change.
Yep, that's certainly how they'll present the cunt-magnet policies; we've all heard the vermin justify their class-war policies on grounds "fairness" for decades.

Yep, that's certainly how they'll present the cunt-magnet policies; we've all heard the vermin justify their class-war policies on grounds "fairness" for decades.

Yeah, sorry I know it was stating the obvious. This anti-green stuff worries me though in a different way, I think it'll be an effective line of attack for them in the next years.

Yeah, sorry I know it was stating the obvious. This anti-green stuff worries me though in a different way, I think it'll be an effective line of attack for them in the next years.
Sure, they'll try...but I think much depends on the intensity of our regional climate change impacts over the next few years and, of course, the outcome of any post-election defeat factional war within the vermin.

My thoughts on it are that it's not random or bad planning or desperation at all, but a carefully considered and worryingly quite good plan...

I think they know it's looking unlikely they're going to the win the next election. They've latched onto this as an issue to force the hand of Labour to take a stance against them that I think will enable them to argue the case against any policies that they can paint as unfair or causing problems for the 'average person/hard working family/etc.' which I think will be a strong line of attack and sadly quite popular, and we can see that already with some issues. Labour are already running scared on some issues, look at their refusal to cancel Rosebank oil for example.

I do think people want changes around the environment and climate (the polling says so regularly) but what changes and how much people want their daily lives to be impacted is another whole area that's much less clear.

So, I think they're using this to help them win the next election, but more realistically will likely lose that but are hoping they can then spend 4 years painting Labour as eco-zealots against the 'normal folks' and come back in the election of 2028 elected partly on that ticket.

It does worry me.

I think the thing with that though is that Sunak and a lot of those around him are toast the second they lose an election. So for them I really don't think it's a long term plan, it's scrambling around clutching at straws.

I do agree whoever takes over will probably run with it though along with a lot more far right culture war stuff.

I think the thing with that though is that Sunak and a lot of those around him are toast the second they lose an election. So for them I really don't think it's a long term plan, it's scrambling around clutching at straws.

I do agree whoever takes over will probably run with it though along with a lot more far right culture war stuff.
When both main parties agree on neoliberalism and the hollowed out state, they have to differentiate themselves in some way.

I think you can over estimate how much many people care about climate charge. Being a bit hotter in summer is about it as far as some are concerned. As above, setting yourself as against stuff like "forcing" people to buy "expensive" electric cars and get expensive new boilers etc is all good stuff for middle England.

Back
Top Bottom