Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rishi Sunak's Time is Up

Anecdotal, but I have just seen my Boris and Brexit-supporting parents, but after this week's environmental trashing, they have sworn never to vote for the Tories again.
So, these policies may stop a few Red Wall votes from leaving, but I think it will lose more Blue Wall and rural votes.

Anecdotal, but I have just seen my Boris and Brexit-supporting parents, but after this week's environmental trashing, they have sworn never to vote for the Tories again.
So, these policies may stop a few Red Wall votes from leaving, but I think it will lose more Blue Wall and rural votes.

Funny enough, I was talking to a couple of life long Tory voters earlier today, and they said the same, and even indicated they may go as far as voting Labour at the next GE, which is interesting because the West Worthing seat is forecast to be a marginal one, for the first time ever.

Funny enough, I was talking to a couple of life long Tory voters earlier today, and they said the same, and even indicated they may go as far as voting Labour at the next GE, which is interesting because the West Worthing seat is forecast to be a marginal one, for the first time ever.
My parents are in New Forest West—Desmond Swayne's constituency. Not a lot of chance of him getting removed; but hope springs eternal.

My parents are in New Forest West—Desmond Swayne's constituency. Not a lot of chance of him getting removed; but hope springs eternal.

Up until a couple of years ago*, there didn't seem a hope in hell of Tim Loughton being removed, but things changed, now Electoral Calculus predicts a 80% chance of Labour taking Worthing East and Shoreham.

* When Labour took control of Worthing Borough Council for the first time ever, having only got their first ever council member elected about 5 years earlier.

Locally people adjusted to that being possible, but thought Sir Peter Bottomley, father of the house, was still safe in Worthing West, because it includes a number of posh villages over the border in the Arun District Council area, but the current Electoral Calculus prediction is Labour has a 55% chance of taking it, and I think more voters in those villages are going to be questioning if they want to vote Tory after this roll-back on green policies.

Strange times here, although it certainly hasn't spread to New Forest West, where the Tories are predicted as having 83% chance of holding the seat.

"In his conference address, Sunak claimed the union between Scotland and the rest of the UK was “the strongest it has been in a quarter of a century”. He added: “Nicola Sturgeon wanted to go down in the history books as the woman who broke up our country. But it now looks like she may go down for very different reasons.”

Here are the Bills introduced in the King's Speech

Of possible note:

Criminal justice bill

The Conservatives hope to create a big dividing line from Labour on crime, and this bill gives police powers to test people for drugs on arrest, enter premises without a warrant to seize stolen goods such as mobile phones, and access the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency database to identify criminals.

The bill creates powers to force offenders to attend their sentencing hearing. It also seeks to establish powers to transfer prisoners in and out of England and Wales to serve their sentence abroad.

The bill may cause controversy as it seeks to give chief officers of police forces the right to appeal against the result of misconduct boards to the police appeals tribunal.

Draft rail reform bill

After the prime minister scrapped the northern section of the HS2 high-speed rail line last month, this draft bill seeks to allow parliamentarians and experts to review and test the legislation draft of establishing a watered-down version of Boris Johnson’s Great British Railways.

Economic activities of public bodies bill

Organisations such as universities, councils and some cultural institutions will be banned from publishing statements indicating they intend to engage in boycotts. If they breach rules, they could face fines.

Offshore petroleum licensing bill

Licences for oil and gas projects in the North Sea will be awarded annually, under plans which the government says will reduce reliance on foreign imports.

Tobacco and vapes bill

Legislation will deliver on a Rishi Sunak promise to “create the first smoke-free generation” so that children turning 14 this year, and those younger, will never be able to be legally sold cigarettes

'Organisations such as universities, councils and some cultural institutions will be banned from publishing statements indicating they intend to engage in boycotts. If they breach rules, they could face fines.'
trans:
'we don't care who you elect for your toytown councils, they will sing from the fucking hymn sheet we provide or else'

also johnsons GBR was a watered down version of full nationalisation so we're getting into third-cup-from-the-bag territory here.

Johnson seems to think his time is up

Boris Johnson: Tories 'drifting to defeat' under Rishi Sunak

Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson has warned the Conservatives are "drifting into defeat" under Rishi Sunak. In a blistering attack he said Mr Sunak was offering voters "nothing to rally behind" and needed to offer a "positive agenda for change".

Oh, hang on...
Mr Johnson made the comments in a series of interviews with staunch ally and former cabinet minister Nadine Dorries for her new book.

I doubt many, if any, others will go down that road TBH.

The nutter wing just don’t have the numbers. They would be better off resigning the whip en masse, refusing to resign their seats on the grounds that they are staying true to Johnson’s manifesto, and then holding Sunak to ransom for confidence and supply a la DUP, with a fair chance of getting enough freeports and hospital refurbs and monorails for their constituencies to have some chance of reelection.

The nutter wing just don’t have the numbers. They would be better off resigning the whip en masse, refusing to resign their seats on the grounds that they are staying true to Johnson’s manifesto, and then holding Sunak to ransom for confidence and supply a la DUP, with a fair chance of getting enough freeports and hospital refurbs and monorails for their constituencies to have some chance of reelection.

Yeah they should split off and form a new party. Put up a united Front, Nationally.

lol at the head bangers losing their shit. They wont have enough to force a vote. Not sure what numbers they can drum up to create shit either - suspect outside the hardcore the rest of the ERG inclined probably cant be arsed with only a year to go till defeat at the election.

this from the New Statesman seems to accurately sum up Sunak's reshuffle. he's given up. he knows it's over.
By restoring Cameron, Sunak has essentially given up and reverted to an orthodoxy and to a person who embodies everything that failed. If there is a moment in history in which this kind of conservatism represented by Cameron has reached its terminus it would, ironically, be now, with his return to government. It’s the endgame for Sunak.

Cameron is a time-warp figure. His appointment is a bafflingly inept move, the only rational explanation of which is that it represents exhaustion and fatigue on the part of the government. There’s nothing for anybody. Where was the constituency in Britain chanting, “BRING BACK CAMERON! BRING BACK CAMERON!” There’s now just a constituency of mass incomprehension, asking “why the hell are they bringing back this has-been, this loser?” It’s a suicide letter on the part of Sunak.

lol at the head bangers losing their shit. They wont have enough to force a vote. Not sure what numbers they can drum up to create shit either - suspect outside the hardcore the rest of the ERG inclined probably cant be arsed with only a year to go till defeat at the election.
The part of me which tries to divide himself from the real life consequences of politics and just enjoys watching it all for mostly nerdy reasons would love Suella to lead the Maga-lites to join Reform and see how the slow death of the Conservative Party happens in real time (fellow nerds might already know what happened to the Canadian equivalent party in circumstances similar, if less manic, then these some decades ago).

Back
Top Bottom