Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Relentless pro-Tory, fake news bullshit in my Facebook feed

I've just got a leaflet through the letterbox from 'Working4UK' so this has now crossed over into the physical world and I've got to say I've gone from being uncomfortable to really fucking pissed off.

IMG_20191212_135024536 (1).jpg

It's basically a full on Conservative advert.

A bit of digging shows that 'Working4UK' is company set up 6 weeks ago by Suraj Sharma - Councillor details - Councillor Suraj Sharma who is a current Conservative Councillor and an 'entrepreneur' . I live nowhere near Bromley and have gotten his adverts of Facebook and now physically through the door on election day.

This just cannot be right. I've had a deluge of advertising from these little made up organisations - there is a lot of money involved here.

I've just got a leaflet through the letterbox from 'Working4UK' so this has now crossed over into the physical world and I've got to say I've gone from being uncomfortable to really fucking pissed off.

View attachment 192743

It's basically a full on Conservative advert.

A bit of digging shows that 'Working4UK' is company set up 6 weeks ago by Suraj Sharma - Councillor details - Councillor Suraj Sharma who is a current Conservative Councillor and an 'entrepreneur' . I live nowhere near Bromley and have gotten his adverts of Facebook and now physically through the door on election day.

This just cannot be right. I've had a deluge of advertising from these little made up organisations - there is a lot of money involved here.
He's incorporated it as a LLC at the address at bottom of that flyer:

WORKING 4 UK LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)

He is sole director. All his other active directorships (x 2) are landlord firms.

So he's defo a cunt.

Yeah, that's the one.

His other company 'Respublica Ltd' of which he is a 50% shareholder seems to want to turn an industrial estate in Camberwell into a hotel, offices and housing development.

https://www.respublica (dot) com/camberwell (link purposefully broken)

Of course it's got the slick and slimy artswash bollocks. It's going to be an 'arts inspired' hotel apparently, artists studios (I suspect that'll be a few giftshops at best)

Some buttering up of the local community. Be aware of the kind of cunts who come bearing gifts. Mr Sharma clearly isn't always one to present his true face.

https://www.respublica (dot) com/community (link purposefully broken)

Respublica teamed up with the Camberwell Arts Society on their 25th anniversary and the Black British Artists Collective to throw a truly memorable party!

Last edited:
There’s definitely coordination and funding of these fake ‘grass roots’ organisations throwing out Tory shit. I suspect some legal grey area stuff, and enough of an arms length to shrug and say ‘it wasn’t me guv’. Tories have been gifted a huge amount of money in donations from tax-averse billionaires etc. and might have more than they can legally spend. This might be a way around those limits.

I’d be happy to report any pro-Tory propaganda I see on FB, but my feed is filled with ads for tooth whitening pastes, wine boxes and promises of suspiciously large denomination supermarket discount vouchers. Clearly Facebook knows a gullible, yellow toothed alcoholic when it sees one, but sadly doesn't think I’m worth the effort of a Tory ad.

On balance they seem to have pretty sound judgement, how do they do it?

I’d be happy to report any pro-Tory propaganda I see on FB, but my feed is filled with ads for tooth whitening pastes, wine boxes and promises of suspiciously large denomination supermarket discount vouchers. Clearly Facebook knows a gullible, yellow toothed alcoholic when it sees one, but sadly doesn't think I’m worth the effort of a Tory ad.

On balance they seem to have pretty sound judgement, how do they do it?
If you click the 3 dots by an advert on facebook and then 'why am I seeing this ad' you get some indication of why you were targeted for that ad.

I actually logged into Facebook to try to see what ads it would show me (in an incognito window of course) but I couldn't get it to show me any ads at all, for anything :hmm: I did disable my ad blocker and even tried different browsers. Even the app wouldn't show me any.

had loads all day as mentioned in another thread , was just reporting them , but now
I've been t'pub , its all getting a bit ' fuck off my time line you cunts '

before reporting them .

I never see any either. what am i doing right/wrong?

At a guess, you've created a Facebook echo chamber and the targeting, although broad, has been focused enough to eliminate people whose profile screams "will obviously never vote conservative in a million years"?

At a guess, you've created a Facebook echo chamber and the targeting, although broad, has been focused enough to eliminate people whose profile screams "will obviously never vote conservative in a million years"?
I like it that way to be fair. Makes the place slightly useable. I don't see it as a source of news though and know it operates like that

I've seen literally no political ads on Facebook. Does that mean they're just very good at targeting them?

I'd forgotten about this shit :rolleyes: presumably nothing happened to the people behind it?

Anyway seems sponsored propaganda posts are back. Just got this advert on Facebook.

Screenshot_2020-06-01-09-09-48-54.png

I had that one the other day.
I did my usual thing of posting a meme and blocking any future recurrences.

bump

It's just occurred to me that I've not seen any of this crap during the current election cycle, is this due to improved adblocking on my part or has it actually gone

Have you seen any this election? Note I'm talking these AstroTurfed adverts from made up orgs like Working4UK, Parents Choice, City Action etc rather than the usual stuff from your MP.

And if there's less why?

bump

It's just occurred to me that I've not seen any of this crap during the current election cycle, is this due to improved adblocking on my part or has it actually gone

Have you seen any this election? Note I'm talking these AstroTurfed adverts from made up orgs like Working4UK, Parents Choice, City Action etc rather than the usual stuff from your MP.

And if there's less why?
I reckon whichever far-right stain on the gusset of humanity was the brains behind the Tory social media team in 2019 is now doing their thang for Reform.

bump

And if there's less why?
you are in the "can't be turned" part of the targert audience, so money is being spent elsewhere
sorry 😥

Back
Top Bottom