Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RAF intercept Russian plane over Kent, explosion heard

It was Fucking loud. I heard it over the new slipknot album that I was playing at eleven, and my flat shook. And that was in West Kent. Thought a lorry had crashed into flats!

yes, it is a very loud noise. I heard one over cov about 2 or 3 years ago. some pilot accidentaly sent out a highjacking alert code and the RAF went supersonic to get to it. think there was a thread at the time.

Last edited:
I was idly "watching" the planes flying near my house in early September when I spotted this and got quite a shock.

lithuanian.jpg

Then I remembered what was going on across the other side of the Severn ...

I've only noticed recently what a fecking row jet aircraft make and over a huge area.
I almost dread the wind changing direction so that the planes heading North and East from Bristol airport are climbing over my house - though the whine of decelerating planes at a few thousand feet is pretty annoying too.

Looks like the intercept was over Brixton tbh....guided it away from Central London, then off to Stansted.

The intercept was apparently much closer to the southern coast. The flightradar24 track is most likely missing some data points anyway and should be taken as a rough guide.

How unusual is this kind of thing, from an air traffic POV?

Not that uncommon, in fact there is a standing plan for it - Stanstead has been the designated airport for such things over the southern part of England for quite a few years now - At least since RAF Woodbridge/Manston lost official diversionary status at the end of the cold war. There were three/four other diversionary sites to cover the rest of the UK but I think Stanstead is the only one with a current designation.

Most times its technical failures or hijack that cause this plan/response to be put into action but its been around since the early days of the cold war when they anticipated the need to cope with emergency landings for any type of aircraft, civil or military from either side.

Last edited:
Actually, after a quick shufty around, it seems that RAF Lyneham, Leuchars (till 2015) and possibly Fairford still have diversionary designations.

Explosion = sonic boom.

edit: Shakes fist at laptop

Cargo planes like that don't travel at supersonic speeds.

e2a: I guess it was probably the fighters going supersonic. They must've been gutted it was a false alarm, when was the last time the RAF got to shoot something down in an air-to-air engagement?

Back
Top Bottom