Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Time tonight

Rachel Clarke, a Doctor (and Labour Party member according to Tory goons twitter) has destroyed Robert Buckland tonight. A measured, forensic report by her on the criminal negligence of the government in respect of social care.

A lack of PPE, the impossibility of social distancing, vulnerable people dying alone, exhausted, terrified and overwhelmed staff on minimum wage, chronic underfunding and a sector now collapsing.

Harrowing, emotional and makes you feel like committing serious violence against the bastard political class who’ve created this social care crisis and avoidable deaths of the elderly and disabled.

Have to say Nandy has scored some direct hits too, especially on why the poorest are being forced to work and what measures are being taken to protect them.

Rachel Clarke, a Doctor (and Labour Party member according to Tory goons twitter) has destroyed Robert Buckland tonight. A measured, forensic report by her on the criminal negligence of the government in respect of social care.

A lack of PPE, the impossibility of social distancing, vulnerable people dying alone, exhausted, terrified and overwhelmed staff on minimum wage, chronic underfunding and a sector now collapsing.

Harrowing, emotional and makes you feel like committing serious violence against the bastard political class who’ve created this social care crisis and avoidable deaths of the elderly and disabled.

Have to say Nandy has scored some direct hits too, especially on why the poorest are being forced to work and what measures are being taken to protect them.

Might watch this. Will be on iPlayer I’m guessing

Crikey-Smokeandsteam wasn't exaggerating- Buckland seemed to have no coherent lines of argument in response to Clarke (who was throwing her book at him) -actually thought he was going to blub at one point!

Osborne: "My government didn't have to deal with unemployment."
Well I'm not sure exactly what Osbourne said but unemployment (officially) is was low by 2016, and during the coalition years reached a height of 8.3% (compare that that other counties during the GFC)
United_Kingdom_unemployment_1881-2017.png

Well I'm not sure exactly what Osbourne said but unemployment (officially) is was low by 2016, and during the coalition years reached a height of 8.3% (compare that that other counties during the GFC)

I took it as him citing the number of jobs, without going into the nature of those jobs.

I wasn't comfortable with having two Tory politicians on the panel, no matter that Osborne might protest that he's now a journalist (as well as about five other jobs I believe). He and Shapps were in the cabinet together less than five years ago.

Would there be any value with displaying the original question onscreen for the duration of the panel's responses? Lesson 1.01 in the how to be an MP is the various methods of obfuscation, and cabinets past and present have been experts. It could be seen as patronising to the viewers.

Probably doesn't affect what you said but that graph is inaccurate from the 1970s onwards, and greatly underestimates the number of people unemployed.

After '71 governments reduced the unemployment figures by progressively transferring people to sickness/invalidity benefit. I redrew this a few years ago from figures I got from a research organization. Typically enough I can't find the original research but the same thing seems to be covered here. Even so, my graph underestimates the figures by not showing people on training schemes and those who have dropped out of the benefits system altogether. As I recall (and it was a few years ago as I said) the original researchers said the figures have been changed so often since as to make comparisons meaningless.

1588966108004.png

Our [Sheffield Hallam, from pdf] estimate is that in 2017 the real level of unemployment stands at just below 2.3
million.

Never heard of this Tory twat . Did someone brief him and say, ' don't look at your panel members, stare straight at the camera, look confident as if you believe what shite your spewing'.
He's weirding me out .

Never heard of this Tory twat . Did someone brief him and say, ' don't look at your panel members, stare straight at the camera, look confident as if you believe what shite your spewing'.
He's weirding me out .

That was noticeably weird, I agree. I suppose we should be grateful that he didn't do any Johnson-esque arm thrusts.

The questions seem to have got very long, and full of personal opinion, since they got rid of the audience.

If you're willing to judge people by association, in 2013 Chris Philp had a book published by the Taxpayers' Alliance.

Probably doesn't affect what you said but that graph is inaccurate from the 1970s onwards...
Ridiculously inaccurate...in 2016 you were counted as employed if you were on a zero-hour contract or working one hour every two weeks. And the figures don't include all the sanctioned people or those denied benefits either which has been massive for the last decade under the regime since cameron and austerity.

Yes totally. That's why the researchers said you couldn't trust the figures any more. They changed the way they were counted so often that you can't make draw any conclusions from the statistics. Also not to mention that they are totally different jobs - like you say zero hours contracts, also short-term contracts and agency contracts rather than the jobs with pensions up to the 80s.

Nadhim Zahawi for the Tories and David Lammy for Labour tonight, repeating last week's Any Questions. I suspect we might get a second subject this evening, and I'm sure I've heard Lammy be quite articulate on socio-racial issues in the past.

Hopefully there's also time to keep Cummings-gate going.

I'd heard of Rocco Forte before, but hadn't experienced his rampant Tory-ism. Further research revealed he's a major donor to them, something the BBC should've mentioned in his intro.

Grant Shapps on Any Questions last week used the "Some of my best friends..." defence, citing Patel, Sunak and Sharma being in the cabinet as evidence of the Tories being progressive.

I'd heard of Rocco Forte before, but hadn't experienced his rampant Tory-ism. Further research revealed he's a major donor to them, something the BBC should've mentioned in his intro.

Grant Shapps on Any Questions last week used the "Some of my best friends..." defence, citing Patel, Sunak and Sharma being in the cabinet as evidence of the Tories being progressive.

Fortes father was a Tory loving cunt as well.

Cleverly was abysmal this week, claiming that the government made sure they had a back-up in case one app didn't work, by, er, only testing one.

I'm sure no one watched it, but this week was another with two Tories on it, with Stuart "Baron" Rose of M&S fame complementing Grant "Michael Green/Corinne Stockheath/Sebastian Fox" Shapps.

And again tonight, as Gillian Keegan, a totally forgettable minister, is joined by Michael Portillo.

But of course the BBC is leftwing elitist...

Back
Top Bottom