Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Time tonight

It was disappointing that no one seemed to challenge the concept that electric cars are a wholly good thing. Amongst other things, tyre and brake wear, the source of the electrical power, and the effect on pubic health of sedentary transport should've been mentioned.

Of there's a rant like this every week, surely it's a thing that shouldn't be ignored? It's not pleasant but hoping the BBC (!) is only going to highlight points of view palatable to us do-gooders isn't realistic

Why is that the thing QT have chosen to isolate and publicise? It’s an hour long show.

It’s not the only segment they have. They slice and dice lots of it for the Twittersphere. It’s the one that has caught the public’s attention.

Of there's a rant like this every week, surely it's a thing that shouldn't be ignored? It's not pleasant but hoping the BBC (!) is only going to highlight points of view palatable to us do-gooders isn't realistic

True and there is an argument for bringing it out into the light. In saying that lots of people on Twitter agreeing with her.

The BBC has a good response when accused of allowing offensive chanting at football matches to be heard, which is ‘there was a football game, we covered it’. Clearly broadcasters often frame the news and decide what topic gets disproportionate attention, but it can also seem like it when it’s simply being covered. It was reasonable to have a debate on the Government’s proposed immigration rules. Not surprising that someone would articulate those views along the way, depressing as they are.

You'd think that a programme that thought of itself as a debate show might put in both question and answer(s), rather than just one lengthy racist soundbite.

I suppose it's a question of what the - invariably upper middle class at the Beeb - producers think will sell to the hoi-polloi, while still allowing middle class viewers to get their cringe fix at the awful racist underclass.
Of course, when you have a vetting process for the audience, you should be able to rule out overt racists, but somehow the Beeb never seem to be able to do that...

The media doesn’t just report the national discourse, it also shapes it by what it covers and how. It feeds itself. For example (different context but the principles still apply): Deviancy amplification spiral - Wikipedia

I suppose it's a question of what the - invariably upper middle class at the Beeb - producers think will sell to the hoi-polloi, while still allowing middle class viewers to get their cringe fix at the awful racist underclass.
Of course, when you have a vetting process for the audience, you should be able to rule out overt racists, but somehow the Beeb never seem to be able to do that...

I don’t see how this argument can go anywhere. Can we say she shouldn’t express her views and people shouldn’t mock if they find them appalling? It’s a dialogue so it also delivered,

And,

Only watched half of it last night, but... That was great when the audience member suggested the great unwashed public being able to participate in the BBC and even present programmes etc.

The look on Fiona Bruce's smug face and her laughter. You wont be laughing when it happens!!

I thought Snarky Sarkar's response was particularly poor - some blithering directed at comrades on 'the left' about what a lovely wonderful service the BBC is, which we should all protect, without any response to the content of the question. What a missed opportunity from someone promoting a 'new progressive media'.

And what a contrast Weymouth to Dundee eh.

I never watch Question Time nowadays, and festivaldeb hasn't watched any of it since the Election either ... so I've been catching up with this thread for the first time in bloody ages.

This thread reminds me though of how depressing I find it. I knew nothing about that right-wing QT audience picker. I was also reminded generally of why it's been about six years (?) since I watched any episode. We're often both out on a Thursday anyway ;) :beer: , but as for catching up with it on iPlayer, fuck that -- I'd rather go out again for another pint! :D

I haven't yet seen qt for last night, but from what I've heard, the longer they let her rant, the more she dug herself in it. The more she dug herself in it, the more she showed herself up for what she is ( and to an extent the views of the parties that hold views like that)

I haven't yet seen qt for last night, but from what I've heard, the longer they let her rant, the more she dug herself in it. The more she dug herself in it, the more she showed herself up for what she is ( and to an extent the views of the parties that hold views like that)

At least her rant didn't attract the usual hysterical bout of applause from the audience.

Her she is again. Who would have thought it?

ERT_c4jW4AEbLAk

Well, here's a can of worms being opened up:

On Monday, things kicked off again. People discovered Pedley had shared posts by far-right group Britain First, tweeted supporting Vote Leave and joined facebook group the “British Patriot Front”. On Thursday, Bella Caledonia discovered a UKIP councillor claimed to know Pedley, and said he persuaded her to bring Question Time to his town. The same day, campaigner Jack Monroe cancelled her licence fee in disgust, branding Pedley a “blatant neo-Nazi supporter.”

Mainstream coverage has been woeful. The BBC press team focused its denials on the Britain First posts, claiming Pedley shared them “unwittingly”. Sure enough, the media followed suit: the Mirror, Huffington Post and Daily Mail omitted all other new revelations.

Yet further damning evidence is not hard to find. The British Patriot Front, which hosts Islamophobic and racist material, is riddled with “likers” of the BNP and EDL. The group’s creator posted extreme Islamophobic images to a “BNP EDL NF [National Front]” group. Its other admin is an active member of “UK Nationalists For Our White Race And Culture”.

Scrolling back through November, I saw a poll on whether to hang or deport Gina Miller, or burn the three “traitorous” judges who upheld her appeal; a video claiming Muslims threatened to rape children; a clip alleging a “Clinton sex ring”. In October, one member posted a crucified figure with neo-Nazi slogan “We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children”.

But it’s not just the facebook group. Far-right Islamophobe Douglas Murray is “always a great panellist” on Question Time, Pedley writes. She “likes” far-right journalists Melanie Phillips and “shock jock” Jon Gaunt. In May, she “liked” a clip of Nigel Farage obliquely excusing violence. The same month, she encouraged Brexiteers “Better Off Out” and UKIP South Leicestershire to join a Channel 4 audience. In 2008, she invited two Republican groups to apply for a US Question Time audience. It seems these right-wing groups are the only ones Pedley publicly contacted.

No episode of Question Time seems complete without one of these rants.

I noticed she says England not UK.

Sometimes Im ashamed to be English. I have to try to reasssure my partner ( Spanish) that this woman is a minority in England . And worse she says she is from London. Welcome to Brexit England where this kind of comment on mainstream tv is something I have to deal with. Whilst my partner has to live in doubt about her long term future here. Fortuately in my area of London I dont meet scum like this ( Brixton).

My partner works in the education sector and the mix of nationalities is the similar to the photographer below.

On the BBC thread some NHS staff put this up

ERQUM7FXsAADQ7h.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom