Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pro Cycling 2021

Some fabulous photos here.

Evocative of classic Roubaix... timeless race of mud and cobbles.

C89okCnV0AAqqyV.jpg

(Kelly, 1984)

I just realised that the women's tour of britain started yesterday. Highlight of today's stage on ITV4 in 5 minutes. Slightly gobsmacked that they only had 1 day of rest between PR and this.

I just realised that the women's tour of britain started yesterday. Highlight of today's stage on ITV4 in 5 minutes. Slightly gobsmacked that they only had 1 day of rest between PR and this.

Nizzolo raced on Monday in Italy. He was the only one though.
I thought people like Sean Kelly said that it takes 2-3 days until bits of your body you never knew existed stopped hurting.

Nizzolo raced on Monday in Italy. He was the only one though.
I thought people like Sean Kelly said that it takes 2-3 days until bits of your body you never knew existed stopped hurting.

Yeah, but look at Kelly's tires. And muddy calliper brakes. Uncomfortable clothes, far poorer knowledge of fit etc...

Yeah true (also Nizzolo cheated as he was a DNF at P-R).
But Kelly didn't have to contend with Luke Rowe

I have a friend who raced as a junior in East Germany (possibly not all as the political entity, I forget how old he is), I get the impression peloton antics now are but a pale shadow of what they were then. Of course juniors got very little oversight mid-race, but either way that’s how you got to the pro races. He’s kind of mid weight I’d say, strategy was to just get in a break ASAP, avoid having to fight on a bike with a bunch of large German youths.

I have a friend who raced as a junior in East Germany (possibly not all as the political entity, I forget how old he is), I get the impression peloton antics now are but a pale shadow of what they were then. Of course juniors got very little oversight mid-race, but either way that’s how you got to the pro races. He’s kind of mid weight I’d say, strategy was to just get in a break ASAP, avoid having to fight on a bike with a bunch of large German youths.
I mostly did TTs but got pushed off my bike by a scouser as I was trying to close a gap for our star. Let’s say there was a slight rivalry between our clubs after that.

Reactions: Cid
Anybody see anyone else but Roglic winning the final Monument of the season?

We’re living in great times again when the same riders can win both Grand Tours and Monuments.

It wasn’t exactly the most exciting edition ever. Could have been a lot more entertaining at the end if the chasing group had actually bothered to try.

It wasn’t exactly the most exciting edition ever. Could have been a lot more entertaining at the end if the chasing group had actually bothered to try.

Yeah it didn't even seem to be ridden at pace and yet when Pog attacked no one seemed to have it. I guess some of the chase were scared of being beaten in a sprint and Ala had Masnada up front but Jumbo had two riders and could do nothing.

I get the hesitancy about a potential sprint sometimes, but they had half a climb and what, 30km or so to at least try something. Really odd.

If my relationships are correct, Stephen Roche is DMs uncle.

Wait... Wait.

So this got me googling a bit, Irish cycling being a somewhat closed world.

Conor Dunne off GCN, tallest pro cyclist ever, is Sean Kelly's son-in-law. What. The. Fuck.

All those episodes 'hilariously' featuring brother-in-law Nigel, that's Sean Kelly's son.

And of course Sam Bennett spent his formative years in Carrick-on-Suir and kicked off his career with An post-Sean Kelly.

Jesus imagine if your kid was Sean Kelly's grandson.

'Aww... what a sweet child'
'Yeah, we're very proud of him - he's Sean Kelly's grandson'

Wait... Wait.

So this got me googling a bit, Irish cycling being a somewhat closed world.

Conor Dunne off GCN, tallest pro cyclist ever, is Sean Kelly's son-in-law. What. The. Fuck.

All those episodes 'hilariously' featuring brother-in-law Nigel, that's Sean Kelly's son.

And of course Sam Bennett spent his formative years in Carrick-on-Suir and kicked off his career with An post-Sean Kelly.
It's a nasty little world too.

The McQuaids (Pat's son runs Trinity Cycling management) and Kelly are still influential.

It's a nasty little world too.

The McQuaids (Pat's son runs Trinity Cycling management) and Kelly are still influential.

I dunno, 19 years old, 1975... struggle to hold that against Kelly.

And we do have four current teams representing nations with substantial human rights violations. And Ineos.

I dunno, 19 years old, 1975... struggle to hold that against Kelly.

And we do have four current teams representing nations with substantial human rights violations. And Ineos.
Kelly was ignorant but McQuaid has never apologised,

You're right; it's not the most progressive sport.

It is great to see the tour de femmes back but there are many issues. Money, a big one, sponsors and TV advertising another and so on. Also the TDF causes massive disruption, what the the road closures, the caravan, start village, finishing village etc.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for it.

The British national championships on the Lincoln GP course were good even though local south London boy Fred Wright just got pipped.
An Ineos rider won but once again they didn't send any of their star names. Bad form that.

Back
Top Bottom