Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prince Andrew, Duke of York, named in underage 'sex slave' lawsuit

The whole institution is just fucking bizarre. PERSONAL OPINION
Because of accidents of birth, ACT OF PARLIAMENT
a family live in ridiculous luxury with the rest of the country MANY RICHER PEOPLE
supposed to bow and scrape to them. CHOUICE, NOT COMPULSORY
They do no work, they have no purpose. PERSONAL OPINION
They turn up at events where they are treated like gods, CHOICE NOT COMPULSORY
they occasionally make a speech, and certain sycophantic idiots consider that to be "work". OPINION
The queen is widely praised for her life of duty - ACTUALLY FACT!!!!
but what duty? PETSONAL OPINION
What has she actually done? PERSONAL OPINION
What difference has she made to anything? PERSONAL OPINION
And she manages to look as miserable as sin all the time, PETSONAL OPINION
while living in the lap of luxury at the expense of us drones. PERSONAL OPINION
You put more effort into that than I did my entire afternoons work.

"Monarchy" has more support than a Republic.
The monarch is elected by Parliament under Acts of Parliament. Parliament has the power to elect a different monarch. It last did this at the Gloriious Revolution in the late seventeenth century.
William of Orange wasn't so much elected as got the job as a result of wheeler dealing amongst Parliament (which at the time wasn't a particularly democratic institution) bit like Gordon Brown really. The last elected King (as in there was selection to choose from) was Harold II and look what happened to him.

I reckon that majority support for the monarchy would crumble pretty quick if there was a serious campaign to get rid with a workable alternative, willing to bet a good half is softish benign feelings towards the current queen rather than any entrenched constitutional belief.

I expect the monarchy to fade away over the next half century or so, sadly too long for me to see it but my grandsons probably will. It's safe while Brenda has got her bum on the throne but whilst she is a tough old biddy even she can't live forever. Chucky's reign will be interesting I expect to see a few commonwealth members move from monarchies to republics once he has got the Golden Seat.

I reckon that majority support for the monarchy would crumble pretty quick if there was a serious campaign to get rid with a workable alternative, willing to bet a good half is softish benign feelings towards the current queen rather than any entrenched constitutional belief.
They always prime the questions to make it sound like the only alternative would be a non executive President in addition to what politicians we already have. Then everyone thinks “oh god, President Boris” (somehow forgetting we already have prime minister Boris and they don’t use that to argue against parliamentary democracy).

When one has a cancer, one cuts it out. One doesn’t have to replace it. And that’s never explained before the poll is taken. It’s always “would you prefer the lovely Auld Queen or an added layer of political twats like President Boris as well as a prime minister?”

Well, even I would struggle to choose there and I’m anti royalist.

Do we really need an alternative? Their only purpose is to leech wealth. All that's necessary is disbandment, an execution or two, and the division of stolen wealth.

Think so too. Maybe to be replaced by a sort of annual monarch, elected via a reality tv talent show where people can vote for their favourite.

Do we really need an alternative? Their only purpose is to leech wealth. All that's necessary is disbandment, an execution or two, and the division of stolen wealth.
Not for my money but an alternative arrangement, even if it's something like the Swiss constitutional council, because while we're still a nation state they apparently expect something to send the emails to.

They always prime the questions to make it sound like the only alternative would be a non executive President in addition to what politicians we already have. Then everyone thinks “oh god, President Boris” (somehow forgetting we already have prime minister Boris and they don’t use that to argue against parliamentary democracy).

When one has a cancer, one cuts it out. One doesn’t have to replace it. And that’s never explained before the poll is taken. It’s always “would you prefer the lovely Auld Queen or an added layer of political twats like President Boris as well as a prime minister?”

Well, even I would struggle to choose there and I’m anti royalist.
Yes, actually started typing a bit about the loaded question but it's such a tedious subject I couldn't be arsed :D

The division of stolen wealth wouldn't get as far as you and me, though. It'd be more dough for Johnson, Sunak, Rees-Mogg and others of their ilk.

Back
Top Bottom