Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post your tax return angst here

Help!

I've only just looked at this cos I thought it would be easy as I just did a bit of childminding/babysitting last year when I couldn't do mental health work anymore as I was pregnant and I registered as self-employed towards the end of 2010. I don't owe any tax.

Anyway, I also had 2 employers that year as prior to stopping hospital work I did temp shifts, so I'm filling in the employment section and it won't allow me to put 0 in tips and other payments not on your p60. I don't understand.

Help!

I've only just looked at this cos I thought it would be easy as I just did a bit of childminding/babysitting last year when I couldn't do mental health work anymore as I was pregnant and I registered as self-employed towards the end of 2010. I don't owe any tax.

Anyway, I also had 2 employers that year as prior to stopping hospital work I did temp shifts, so I'm filling in the employment section and it won't allow me to put 0 in tips and other payments not on your p60. I don't understand.

Ignore! It said put blank if 0. I didn't see that even though it said it clearly in bright red type :rolleyes:

Help!

leave it blank for 0.

Jesus wept.

Have filled in a return showing a self-employed loss and they calculate I owe class 4 nics of 147 quid. :confused:
That's your national insurance contributions, not tax and you have to pay them whether you make a profit or not.
Help!

Are you still doing some work as self employed?
If not: have you deregistered with HMRC?
Because if you haven't you'll still be liable for the NICs for the period.

This thread is as far as I've got so far with my return :'(

That's your national insurance contributions, not tax and you have to pay them whether you make a profit or not. (
Class 4 nics are calculated on profit. Class 2 nics don't have to be paid under the lower earnings limit. My mini venture qualifies on both counts.

Well I did actually send mine off, only to discover that I didn't take the _first_ payment on account from last year into, er, account, only the second, so I paid way more than I had to :mad: Great. Can I get the money back until I have to give it to them again for my second payment on account later on this year? Doubt it.

Well I did actually send mine off, only to discover that I didn't take the _first_ payment on account from last year into, er, account, only the second, so I paid way more than I had to :mad: Great. Can I get the money back until I have to give it to them again for my second payment on account later on this year? Doubt it.

Yes, you can.

Haven't started mine yet and if you needed more excuses to procrastinate, well...
Thousands of tax office workers will stage a 24-hour strike on Tuesday in a row over privatisation, leading to a delay in the deadline for filing tax returns. Members of the Public and Commercial Services union (PCS) across the UK will mount picket lines in protest at plans to trial the use of private firms at two centres. HM Revenue and Customs has decided not to issue penalty fines to anyone missing Tuesday's deadline for self-assessment returns. Anyone filing their returns on 1 or 2 February will also not be fined.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jan/31/hmrc-delays-tax-return-deadline-strike

am I the latest urbanite to return it before the extended deadline?

also, it was a nice not to owe any tax after working it all out, but also a bit depressing to see in black and white how little I actually made that year as I was slogging my guts out most of the year.

I have started trying to assemble my online tax return for 2011/12 (this will be my first tax return).

Not because I'm "a smug git" but since I was working PAYE until October, and have earned next to sod all on freelance work since then, the chances are they will owe me money...

:hmm: :confused: :( :mad: kinda sums up progress to date.

Any ideas on the following :

a) why the heck are they asking about my 'gift aid' donations? I'm sure I've signed a few gift aid forms over the course of the year, but I'm buggered if I can remember who they all were for and how much I donated. Isn't it up to the charity to reclaim the tax anyway?

b) I had a bit of interest from an ISA, which I believe to be tax free. Do I declare this somewhere and say it's an ISA, or do I ignore it completely?

c) Should a few quid in co-op dividend be declared?

d) will I have to back all this up with paper copies to prove any of it? Or scanned copy documents? I was expecting it to ask me for these so far, and all I've done is enter numbers in boxes - for all they know I could have made them all up. Or does this come later?

In my limited experience they normally take the figures you give them at face value. I would include interest paid, I tend to make a 'generous' estimate, its usually not much anyway and then you can't be hassled over a mistake for a few quid.

I'd include the dividend, if its just a few quid, it'll have little effect.

ISA doesn't come into it - not taxable as long as rules are observed.

Gift aid where you have always allowed the charity to claim the monies in your name, I don't think they are included.

yes, if you were PAYE for a long while, and not made much since then - you would normally get something. TBF, that has always been paid fairly promptly IME.

Thanks.

I have found reference to ISAs in a bit of guidance that I didn't find at the time - you're right, I don't mention them.

The Gift Aid thing would apparently be relevant if I went in to the higher rate tax band. Ha Ha Ha.

I suppose I ought to mention the few quid from the Co-op (although they might ask why I've not declared the bugger before, although if everyone who had Co-op membership started faffing about with tax returns for the sake of a few quid, the system would probably disintegrate.)

On pressing the button, it reckons they owe me £ 91. I was expecting rather more than that, especially as there's a professional (ha ha) body subscription of £ 160 that I had to pay out this year.

This leads me to think I've dropped a bollock somewhere.

I think I'll save the whole bloody thing and come back to it tomorrow.

Or the next day.

Aaargh.

My spare room is currently a sea of receipts. Luckily LIDL have a plant sale on today so I have something to distract me from finishing my tax return from 11/12 and getting my company records into shape:)

Depending on how frequently you incur expenses, I would just staple them to a piece of A4, by month, or week or whatever....and annotate them. I got totally lost with expenses when I started out self-employed. Just staple them to a piece of paper as you incur them. I try to do this when I come in, and its a 2-minute job when you are standing there thinking 'Right, Home at last' :)

Tax return question. On top of my PAYE job I have some other money coming in which I invoice for or get a payment for, which I don't think tax is deducted from. So, I think I need to do a tax return at the end of the year? I've heard that you need to get a special number from the tax office before you do this? Is this, registering your business for tax?

I just want to do it properly, even though the amounts involved are quite small. I'm just not sure if I need to formally register for tax, or if I can just fill out a tax return at the end of next year.

Thanks.

Tax return question. On top of my PAYE job I have some other money coming in which I invoice for or get a payment for, which I don't think tax is deducted from. So, I think I need to do a tax return at the end of the year? I've heard that you need to get a special number from the tax office before you do this? Is this, registering your business for tax?

I just want to do it properly, even though the amounts involved are quite small. I'm just not sure if I need to formally register for tax, or if I can just fill out a tax return at the end of next year.

Thanks.

This is the easy bit, mate :) http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/businesses/iwtregister-a-new-business.shtml

The return is traumatic thing :(

This is the easy bit, mate :) http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/businesses/iwtregister-a-new-business.shtml

The return is traumatic thing :(

I was counting on the return not being too bad, as I don't have any expenses or anything. Maybe my assumption that the form would be simplicity itself was a mistake. I'm just* keeping a record of when I get paid and then it'll all be fine. Actually, I think I hardly need to do anything up to April, so next year can be a dummy run, if you like.

*going to start

how the hell does anyone with an online shop account for the stock price of every single item they bought. I have got receipts and more likely electronic information (paypal records) but itemising each single CD.
Help please..
I'm about 500 down for the year!

I was counting on the return not being too bad, as I don't have any expenses or anything. Maybe my assumption that the form would be simplicity itself was a mistake. I'm just* keeping a record of when I get paid and then it'll all be fine. Actually, I think I hardly need to do anything up to April, so next year can be a dummy run, if you like.

*going to start

Do you work at home in your second job? If so you can claim for a percentage of bills and equipment. And other things. This is where it can get complicated...

Do start! If you're invoicing you should keep them filed neatly!

Just finishing the last 3-4 years. I may or may not get non residential status...which means on the down side I'll have 4 years tax to spunk up, upside is I'll be able to get a UK mortgage if I'm really fecking lucky and want to take in up the arse on deposit, fees and interest with a handful of sand in my lube......

I think I'll save the whole bloody thing and come back to it tomorrow.

Or the next day.

Aaargh.

Oh balls.

I still haven't done this.

And since they will owe me money, I really ought to get on with it.

The sticking point seemed to be my redundancy payment last autumn, which ought to be tax free as it was below £ 35K (a bloody long way below 35K) but the system is treating it as part of my income.

I really must try again.

Further Aaaaargh.

Oh balls.

I still haven't done this.

And since they will owe me money, I really ought to get on with it.

The sticking point seemed to be my redundancy payment last autumn, which ought to be tax free as it was below £ 35K (a bloody long way below 35K) but the system is treating it as part of my income.

I really must try again.

Further Aaaaargh.
Don't include it in the redundancy box - this was my mistake when I got some redundancy money. You only include the amount above the cut-off figure, which is anything over £30k (not £35k).

Here's the redundancy & tax factsheet:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/redundancy-factsheet.pdf

Don't include it in the redundancy box - this was my mistake when I got some redundancy money. You only include the amount above the cut-off figure, which is anything over £30k (not £35k).

Here's the redundancy & tax factsheet:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/redundancy-factsheet.pdf

Thanks.

When I tried, the way I read it was you entered it in this box to show the amount, and then in another box to show it was under 35K. Which didn't make a lot of sense. Maybe I read something wrong...

Back
Top Bottom