Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post your tax return angst here

one of the perks of being just general wage slave and not having to do it! yay
i DO feel your pain however as partner has been grrring, tearing hair out and getting very very pissed off with it

hope tis ok to ask/clarify some stuff on their behalf
does it have to be paid by tuesday? the 31 jan? :eek:
if they have earned about £680 or near that on a tv job on top of their wage of about £19k could it really mean that they have to pay £500+ ??? :confused: maybe it has put them into the next tax band
and can they offset expenses from property against other income?
cheers

For the property question, yes if it's income from a holiday let, no if not. But if there is a loss rather than a profit, you shouldn't need to pay any tax. Don't forget to take mortgage interest, insurance, advertising fees, agents fees, maintenance etc into account. A simple income/expenditure spreadsheet is really helpful in calculating loss.

For the property question, yes if it's income from a holiday let, no if not. But if there is a loss rather than a profit, you shouldn't need to pay any tax. Don't forget to take mortgage interest, insurance, advertising fees, agents fees, maintenance etc into account. A simple income/expenditure spreadsheet is really helpful in calculating loss.
thanks

I'm working myself up to it, but I havent procrastinated this much in a while, and thats saying something.

I'm working myself up to it, but I havent procrastinated this much in a while, and thats saying something.

I managed to go up 15 levels on bf3 and reorder my mp3 collection as by product of putting mine off. :)

It didn't turn out to be that bad in the end.

It's amazing hoe many urgent tasks are now presenting themselves and preventing me from doing my tax return.

*goes off to hoover room

I dont understand many of the quesitons :oops:

How much is it to pay someone to do a very small return?

I dont understand many of the quesitons :oops:

How much is it to pay someone to do a very small return?
Maybe we can help? Maybe sas can help in particular, since it seems to be his bloody job. Which questions are you having a particular problem with.

I'm more than happy to just pay an accountant to sort this once and for all, if anyone has any recommendations.

Does anyone know where they keep their downloadable forms? I am told I can download a form from the Revenue website but I can't find out where. I need a PAYE form for 2011 in case anyone knows.

Maybe we can help? Maybe sas can help in particular, since it seems to be his bloody job. Which questions are you having a particular problem with.
No, he has a different job now within HMRC now. See the thread in general.

Agree about the simple spreadsheet - no need for an accountant for this kind of stuff.

However, loss relief for furnished holiday lets has changed from tax year 2011-12 onwards, ie for the next set of tax returns. FHL losses can longer be set off against general income, with the qualifying conditions also becoming stricter for FHLs.

Right, back to cleaning out the keyboard...

I knew you hadn't done it when you were playing with the logo yesterday :D

I did mine yesterday afternoon. It didn't take long, maybe an hour all told.
But I procrastinatined for months before doing it - I filed it earlier when I was seriously ill, so I have no excuses.

The new daily penalties were an excellent motivator for me.

Haha I did wonder why the logo seemed to change every couple hours. :D

Might well be, thanks porp.
You're welcome - hope it's the right one. If you tell us a bit more, I could try and find you the right form.

The thing abut PAYE income is that, even though HMRC know about it, if you fill in a tax return, you have to provide the PAYE income details as well. This is because the PAYE page records things that have already been taxed at source (salary) and things that need to be taxed on the individual (car benefit, employer loans etc). So even though it seems a bit of a faff, best thing is to fill it and send it.

Jesus wept.

Have filled in a return showing a self-employed loss and they calculate I owe class 4 nics of 147 quid. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom