Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Possible vaccines/treatment(s) for Coronavirus

BTW, they have not just ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, but also 60 m from a French company & another 30 m from a German company, they are hedging bets on three different vaccines, so far.

I wonder why 100 million?

I also wonder how long Oxford Uni will want their name attached to it? Its all good publicity now but at some point they'll need to give it a medical name especially when they find out that in 1% it causes a tail to grow from your forehead.

Instant mental image when reading that is Calvin* saying “cool!”

* Of Calvin and Hobbes**, not the other Calvin.
** Not that Hobbes, the other one.

Yes, I do dread the thought of this shitshow government actually trying to organise delivery of a vaccine if it happens.

The Synairgen thing sounds like perhaps the more plausible chance of a solution, but I don't know what availability of active ingredients is like - if COVID can be reduced to being no more, or not much more, dangerous than other things that do the rounds this winter, there's some hope there

I'm doing my very best not to become either over-optimistic, or prematurely optimistic, about these recent posts ...... :oops:

But kinnell!! I really hope, for everyone, that at least one of these trials that are coming into the human testing stage, works out!!!!!

:oops: or :( or :eek: or :cool: ??

( :confused: )

I'm doing my very best not to become either over-optimistic, or prematurely optimistic, about these recent posts ...... :oops:

But kinnell!! I really hope, for everyone, that at least one of these trials that are coming into the human testing stage, works out!!!!!

:oops: or :( or :eek: or :cool: ??

( :confused: )
Apparently synairgen have put things in chain a few months back to produce enough of the stuff they need to deliver a lot over winter if it works - the good thing is I understand the interferon is used in other treatments historically which means they should have some assurance of safety.

How about we don’t get to live in a world where vital stuff like this is kept secret? This stuff should be shared freely, the fact it requires espionage to develop life-saving medicines should reflect poorly on our society, not Putins lot.

How about we don’t get to live in a world where vital stuff like this is kept secret? This stuff should be shared freely, the fact it requires espionage to develop life-saving medicines should reflect poorly on our society, not Putins lot.

Of course it reflects badly on 'Putin's lot', it compromises the integrity of the research, might invalidate data, patient records exposed, might mean it's been tampered with, all sorts of reasons. No fucking excuse for hacking vaccine research.

Complain when companies make profit from the end result, but keeping data secure until then is necessary for safety and security at the very least.

Agree that this should be a global effort with the world all pulling together. We don't live in that world though so of course its shit what "Putin's lot" are up to if true.

A big issue as there'll be a lot of rushed vaccines coming... There's precedent for dodgey side effects with rushed vaccines.

Russia reckons they're ready to start producing... After 2 months of trials.
I would not be keen to take it

I've read elsewhere an Oxford scientist saying there's only a one in three chance a vaccine can be found. Will be interesting to hear scientific reaction to the Russian vaccine

I'm not normally one for doing this but there is a thread going on this: Possible treatment(s) for Coronavirus.

In general though I really hope the Russian vaccine is a goer. I really hope it saves lives and can be rolled out globally especially to low income countries. I am however very cautious because it does seemed to have turned around in a double quick time. I am also concerned that national pride and politics are playing a large role in this and that is very concerning from a healthcare perspective.

I'm not normally one for doing this but there is a thread going on this: Possible treatment(s) for Coronavirus.

In general though I really hope the Russian vaccine is a goer. I really hope it saves lives and can be rolled out globally especially to low income countries. I am however very cautious because it does seemed to have turned around in a double quick time. I am also concerned that national pride and politics are playing a large role in this and that is very concerning from a healthcare perspective.
Missed that thread, yeah bin this.

I honestly don't understand this desire to fucking rush shit. Sure, you'll get accolades if you create a successful vaccine before anyone else, but the chances of that happening is nowhere near a nailed-on certainty. It could well be the case that the rushed vaccine ends up being a complete disaster that does more harm than good. That would be a black mark against the reputation of your country, the reputation of your country's biomedical scientists and institutions, and in the end you could well be in a worse position than before.

It's so fucking childish. Fucking do it properly or don't bother. It will be better in the long run. For fuck's sake.

Phase 3 is the stage that most vaccines fail due to safety, side effects or failed response. Skipping this step seems incredibly dangerous to me. Probably plays well to a domestic audience who don't know the details of the development.

Phase 3 failures are also at least partly down to refined assessments of the cost:benefit of the drug (usually there will be plenty of drugs already in the field, which is not the case here).

I don’t know the ins and outs of this particular case, but they will have decent initial safety data, and the downside of a lack of effectiveness won’t be anything that puts us further back than where we already are (usually you are testing on people with the disease, which means a greater harm is done if you give a duff drug when a reasonable one is available).

I expect the grandstanding element also plays into it though tbf.

A point I've seen made in the reporting of the Russia vaccine is that it not only has dangers of directly harming people, it also boosts the arguments of conspiraloons (if it does have serious side effects).

That's my biggest fear, the last thing the world needs is a dodgy vaccine that ends up adding fuel to the anti-vaxxer movement.

That's my biggest fear, the last thing the world needs is a dodgy vaccine that ends up adding fuel to the anti-vaxxer movement.

Aye. As far as I can see they've not published any data from the trials which is unhelpful to say the least. It makes me more than a little concerned regarding the future and how or if information on its efficacy and any side effects is published and reliable.

Putin has said that its "quite effective" which is hardly a ringing endorsement but you have to allow for translation. Also his daughter has already been given the vaccine. If we take that at face value I would guess (and it is a total guess) that the vaccine will likely be safe enough just not very effective.

As I said up page I hope I'm wrong and I hope its both safe and effective.

Apparently more than 30,000 would-be volunteers in 140 countries have said they are prepared to take part in challenge studies, where they would be infected with SARS-CoV-2 to test vaccines.

Scientists working on Britain's best hope for a coronavirus vaccine are understood to be at odds about whether to deliberately infect healthy patients in order to test it.

Professor Adrian Hill, the director of the Jenner Institute at Oxford University, wants to recruit young volunteers for such tests in the hope that it will speed up the race for a successful jab.

Prof Hill is among hundreds of scientists advocating the use of "human challenge trials", which would see healthy people under the age of 30 deliberately infected in order to test the vaccine.

But Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at the institute, is understood to have clashed with him over his intentions, believing the risk to volunteers is too high.

Apparently more than 30,000 would-be volunteers in 140 countries have said they are prepared to take part in challenge studies, where they would be infected with SARS-CoV-2 to test vaccines.

Risky. Its really frontier science this and not like the good old days where they'd just trial it on soldiers or a random town without telling them.

A big issue as there'll be a lot of rushed vaccines coming... There's precedent for dodgey side effects with rushed vaccines.

Russia reckons they're ready to start producing... After 2 months of trials.
I would not be keen to take it

I've read elsewhere an Oxford scientist saying there's only a one in three chance a vaccine can be found. Will be interesting to hear scientific reaction to the Russian vaccine

Is there any chance that you (or someone) could link to source with a statement by that Oxford scientist, please? :)

I'd like to know the thinking.

Having been following some of the articles about vaccines, my (non-scientist's :oops: ) reaction is that there's so much varied and well funded (and in several countries, very meticulous and cautious) research going on, that it seems surely more likely that a successful one will emerge, eventually.

Maybe a one in three chance out of three different research programmes? ;) :p

I should add though that I share everyone's scepticism about efficacy of this Russian 'vaccine' .... :hmm:

Plus that I keep instructing myself (very strictly) to avoid over-optimism about vaccines more generally.

Back
Top Bottom