Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Possible vaccines/treatment(s) for Coronavirus

It certainly seems like some positive news and we could really do with some.

I don't think I'll be getting my hopes up too much yet as there is a long way to go and the numbers are good but not brilliant

So the really deadly part of the virus is the body's inflammatory response. Do we know yet if people who usually suffer from inflammatory responses/conditions (insect bites, eczema, asthma, arthritis, gum disease) are more likely to be badly affected? Does it work like that?

So the really deadly part of the virus is the body's inflammatory response. Do we know yet if people who usually suffer from inflammatory responses/conditions (insect bites, eczema, asthma, arthritis, gum disease) are more likely to be badly affected? Does it work like that?

Inflammatory response not one thing though, much more complex than that. Suspect the answer is we don't know yet.

Well, they seem to be getting quite excited about Dexamethasone in today's briefing. I suppose when you scale the numbers up that's a lot of lives saved, potentially.

Given its a cheap drug as well the potential for use around the world is huge albeit it in a hospital setting.

Given its a cheap drug as well the potential for use around the world is huge albeit it in a hospital setting.

It was only found to help people on ventilators or oxygen. It didn't have a significant effect on less poorly people so hospital settings is where it'll be used.

LynnDoyleCooper can we take it Convalescent plasma didn't have a positive effect, or does the trial continue?

Trial ongoing weltweit

E2A: Ah, already posted and seen.

The Houston Memorial Medical Centre seems to think they have found the answer, having a 100% success rate over 3 months, recently dropped to 96%, which is still bloody impressive. Worth reading the full article.

Dr Varon admits he's "thrown the kitchen sink" at trying to find new ways of beating this virus.

And now he thinks there's a game-changer.

He and a group of medical colleagues from five different hospitals across America have created a cocktail of commonly but separately-used drugs they're calling the Math+ protocol - and the combination is having some staggering results.

Math+ includes cortisone steroid, vitamins and anti-coagulants to try to curb the key challenges caused by the virus - blood clotting and inflammation.

"We've been doing it for a few months now,' Dr Varon said, and "it's working a charm".

He very much believes the hospital's 100% success rate for nearly three months is down to Math+.

The Houston Memorial Medical Centre seems to think they have found the answer, having a 100% success rate over 3 months, recently dropped to 96%, which is still bloody impressive. Worth reading the full article.

This has been around for a while now, maybe 6 weeks? Anyone who wants the details: https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_pub...cine/EVMS_Critical_Care_COVID-19_Protocol.pdf - including what they I emphasise speculate is a prophylactic dosage of mostly vitamins and zinc.

They’re using a different anti inflammatory steroid to the one the Recover study recently showed to have dramatic effect, possibly incorporating or swapping in this might be even more efficacious - I speculate this time. (Edit to add: though then they’d have to rename it Dath+ for dexamethazone instead of methylprednisolone, or, if they used the first 2 letters of dexamethazone instead of just the D, then..)

Here's a possible treatment for those admitted to hospital, although it's early days, the double-blind trial only involved 101 patients, and the research hasn't been peer-reviewed yet, but it sounds promising.

The preliminary results of a clinical trial suggest a new treatment for Covid-19 dramatically reduces the number of patients needing intensive care, according to the UK company that developed it.

The treatment from Southampton-based biotech Synairgen uses a protein called interferon beta which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.

The protein is inhaled directly into the lungs of patients with coronavirus, using a nebuliser, in the hope that it will stimulate an immune response.

The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.

Patients were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where everyday activities were not compromised by their illness, Synairgen claims.

It said the trial also indicated "very significant" reductions in breathlessness among patients who received the treatment.

In addition, the average time patients spent in hospital is said to have been reduced by a third, for those receiving the new drug - down from an average of nine days to six days.

Here's a possible treatment for those admitted to hospital, although it's early days, the double-blind trial only involved 101 patients, and the research hasn't been peer-reviewed yet, but it sounds promising.

Discussed on Radio 4 this morning, and there was an interview with the head of the program. Inhaled version which is new, but the drug itself used in different formulations for MS already.

Interesting, I wonder whether it might help treat flu and viral pneumonia too.

I wonder why 100 million?

I also wonder how long Oxford Uni will want their name attached to it? Its all good publicity now but at some point they'll need to give it a medical name especially when they find out that in 1% it causes a tail to grow from your forehead.

I also wonder how long Oxford Uni will want their name attached to it? Its all good publicity now but at some point they'll need to give it a medical name especially when they find out that in 1% it causes a tail to grow from your forehead.

AstraZeneca will be producing it, so I assume they are responsible for it thereafter, it's already known as AZD1222.

Maybe if it doesn't give long term immunity, which they won't know yet, it could be we have a yearly vaccine (like a flu jab scenario). So makes sense to stock up . However if the govt have actually managed to order something that works and arrives is another thing.

Back
Top Bottom