Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Possible vaccines/treatment(s) for Coronavirus

There do seem to be some candidates for vaccines, I remember reading about a few for whom trails were starting. And there are a range of trials they have to go through. Part of the problem is the length of time it takes to get a drug through trials. That said I gather the last set of tests they go through are about things like side effects in humans, and depending on the severity of the virus at that stage it might be possible to start treating people before the final tests have been done.

That said I think none of the options are less than many months away, perhaps as much as a year, assuming they don't fail at their earlier trials.

Start thinking 18 months at best. And even then essential workers will be prioritized. It's not something to even start pinning any hope on now.
Understood.

What about the potential of the anti viral drugs that doctors have been mentioning which might assist as a treatment, do they have to go through the full set of 18 month delay and trials also?

Understood.

What about the potential of the anti viral drugs that doctors have been mentioning which might assist as a treatment, do they have to go through the full set of 18 month delay and trials also?

No, and there's a thread on that already.

12-18 months is incredibly aggressive for a new vaccine to be approved for use.

Add to that the fact that the UK leaves EMA on January 1st next year. This means a new product will almost certainly be available in Europe for months if not a year or more before the UK gets to approve it.

Repurposing drugs already available is much quicker and manufacturing capacity is already available.

The only named vaccine I know of that has entered Phase I trials is Moderna's mRNA-1273.

China are reported to have some candidates ready for trials next month.

Regeneron are working on an antibody treatment they hope to start trialing in the summer. GSK have their COVID-19 S-Trimer and Inovia have INO-4800, both not targeting trials until the end of the year.

Drug-wise, Gilead have their SARS/MERS drug remdesivir in a phase III trial for SARS-CoV-2. Other off-label possibilities include the HIV lopinavir/ritonavir combo, the malaria drug chloroquine and the rheumatoid arthritis drug baricitinib

Last edited:
On Remdesivir:

The paper described 12 patients with Covid-19, only three of whom were treated with remdesivir...analysts examined individual patient data and decided the Gilead drug showed mixed results, at best...“we believe remdesivir’s contribution to efficacy remains unclear, and with a side-effect profile that may not be completely benign...we continue to see a less than 50/50 possibility that the drug is ultimately proven effective.” New paper about a Gilead drug to combat coronavirus has analysts skittish

Not a treatment/cure but maybe interesting from a control POV?

Abstract
The efficacy of several povidone-iodine (PVP-I) products, a number of other chemical agents and various physical conditions were evaluated for their ability to inactivate the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV). Treatment of SARS-CoV with PVP-I products for 2 min reduced the virus infectivity from 1.17 × 106 TCID50/ml to below the detectable level. The efficacy of 70% ethanol was equivalent to that of PVP-I products. Fixation of SARS-CoV-infected Vero E6 cells with a fixative including formalin, glutaraldehyde, methanol and acetone for 5 min or longer eliminated all infectivity. Heating the virus at 56°C for 60 min or longer reduced the infectivity of the virus from 2.6 × 107 to undetectable levels. Irradiation with ultraviolet light at 134 µW/cm2 for 15 min reduced the infectivity from 3.8 × 107 to 180 TCID50/ml; however, prolonged irradiation (60 min) failed to eliminate the remaining virus, leaving 18.8 TCID50/ml.

© 2006 S. Karger AG, Basel

Start thinking 18 months at best. And even then essential workers will be prioritized. It's not something to even start pinning any hope on now.

I don't need your permission to start a thread on anything. There's no definitive promises here, just news on developments. Kindly take your aggressiveness elsewhere.

Some other early promise.

Link

A team of Australian researchers say they've found a cure for the novel coronavirus and hope to have patients enrolled in a nationwide trial by the end of the month.

University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research director Professor David Paterson told news.com.au today they have seen two drugs used to treat other conditions can wipe out the virus in test tubes.

He said one of the medications, given to some of the first people to test positive for COVID-19 in Australia, had already resulted in "disappearance of the virus" and complete recovery from the infection.

Prof Paterson, who is also an infectious disease physician at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, said it wasn't a stretch to label the drugs "a treatment or a cure".

"It's a potentially effective treatment," he said.

"Patients would end up with no viable coronavirus in their system at all after the end of therapy."

I don't need your permission to start a thread on anything. There's no definitive promises here, just news on developments. Kindly take your aggressiveness elsewhere.

Why are you ignoring there's already a thread discussing these things? :confused:

No, and there's a thread on that already.

I'll merge

This is good:

The Solidarity Trial is a global effort to find something that might work. People from countries all around the world are currently engaged in trying various things in the hope that shared information can led to a good outcome.

Last edited:
Okay.

So.

Here goes...

I am a medical herbalist. This means that I have a BSc honours degree in herbal medicine. By law, I am recognised as a primary health care practitioner. I use herbs rather than pharmaceuticals to treat health issues. Because of this extraordinary pandemic, I am offering help to all and any Urbans.

I'm not interested in debating whether or not a herbal approach is meaningful. I am making myself available to my community.

PM me if you want more informationy.
Thank you -and I will be trying your suggestions for my cough.
In a way, we've been victims of our own invention, knowledge and creativity. There are so many wonderful, astonishing treatments for almost everything that ails you but so many are successfully hospital/technonology based that no other possibilities are now explored. This works perfectly when the system isn't overwhelmed by numbers. I wonder if we will now look to more natural, 'alternative' solutions in the future...

From work:

With the novel coronavirus continuing to spread around the globe, drugmakers of all sizes are on the hunt for a possible therapeutic for the crisis. One option? Evaluating older meds to determine whether they can be repurposed as a possible treatment for COVID-19.

Pharma's strategy for developing a therapeutic is being fought on two fronts: Repurposing existing meds—be they antivirals or anti-inflammatories or another option altogether—and developing investigational candidates to target COVID-19, the condition caused by the novel coronavirus, directly.
So far, 14 repurposed drugs are in researchers' hands, according to the World Health Organization and drugmaker reports.

Take chloroquine, for example: The long-generic malaria med has captured the nation's attention after President Donald J. Trump highlighted its use alongside antibiotic Z-Pack (azithromycin) as a possible treatment for COVID-19. Alongside a suite of antivirals, two meds in the IL-6 inhibitor class, Sanofi and Regeneron's Kevzara and Roche's Actemra, have also been submitted for clinical trials.

So far, the results for those repurposed hopefuls have been mixed, at best.
Hydroxychloroquine, a more tolerable form of chloroquine, didn't top placebo at clearing the coronavirus among Chinese patients with mild cases, or at helping them reach normal temperature sooner, Evercore ISI analyst Umer Raffat noted in a Tuesday memo.
Separately, neither AbbVie's Kaletra, a combination of HIV antivirals lopinavir and ritonavir, nor Arbidol (umifenovir) delivered benefits in viral clearance or symptom relief compared with no antiviral treatment in a small Chinese study in mild-to-moderate COVID-19 patients, results published Monday on the preprint site medRxiv show.

With demand growing, though, drugmakers are stepping up to increase production. Earlier this week, Roche said it was "working urgently" to maximize production of Actemra to meet current demand while supplying clinical trials. The immunology med is in testing to treat the dangerous lung inflammation that hits patients with serious cases.

Meanwhile, AbbVie said it would waive patent rights for Kaletra to allow countries to buy cheaper generics of the drug and prevent a possible shortage. With no patent rights to enforce, AbbVie would likely forgo millions in profits if Kaletra is found effective to treat COVID-19.

Be wary of some stories of potential treatments/drugs, especially from unknown sources, as there will be twats out there posting false rumours so as to inflate the stocks of drug companies and cash in shares. It’s an old game that’s easily adapted for the current global crisis.

China tried corticosteroids on a bunch of early patients, with the usual results - they were shit, and the advice is not to use them.

I may have gone a little overboard with this answer, lack time to give a more nuanced one with appropriate links.

Something related popped up while I was reading NERVTAG meeting minutes today.

This is from their 30th January meeting:

KR suggested that as an intensivist, outside of a clinical trial, he would only recommend the use of steroids in patients with novel coronavirus if there was another indication, such as septic shock or an exacerbation of COPD. WS agreed that it was not wise to use steroids in a viral infection if there was nothing in place to combat the virus itself. PO would not recommend as routine but that steroids should be evaluated in the context of a clinical trial.

The various meetings minutes are from this website, and NERVTAG is the New & Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group.

China tried corticosteroids on a bunch of early patients, with the usual results - they were shit, and the advice is not to use them.

I may have gone a little overboard with this answer, lack time to give a more nuanced one with appropriate links.

That would be unfortunate since preventive asthma inhalers have corticosteroids mixed with bronchodilators.

Back
Top Bottom