Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

Oh yeah worth saying that the tory MP was going on about 'the coalition of chaos with Jeremy Corbyn' and pretty much everyone was laughing at her.

They can call for what they like can't they - they can't win an internal election until they manage to stitch it up.

That's why Corbyn will almost certainly stay on afterwards in anything other than a massive landslide for the tories. Corbyn knows he will win internal elections the problem is he lacks the numbers in the PLP to get a suitable (if one exists) replacement nominated.

I met some people from the labour party last night and they said they have never had so many people out delivering leaflets etc. They were all a bit uncertain about corbyn as well but they said that recently they don't have as many 'concerns about his electability' lol

Yeah, the green guy was also brilliantly terrible at public speaking as well :D at one point it was his turn to answer an audience question and he said 'oh sorry I've got to go to the toilet' :D and another he gave an answer and then said 'oh dear I've bumped my nose on the microphone' :D

There was a question about the environment and he went on a random tangent about how 'in Barnet there are some terrible traffic jams' :D

Can't be arsed to trawl the thread, but is there a decent, in-depth explanation of polling methods and who uses what out there? and track record.

In trying to find out if deliberately watching their ad costs them money, which I haven't as yet, I did find this round-up of attack ads from the beeb. Given the spending brouhaha after the last election this is probably going to get quite a lot of analysis after the election. They make the point

I certainly haven't been targetted * but I'm not sure any individual can draw conclusions based only on their own experience. It's not what the BBC have reported

But i still don't know if deliberately seeking out the ads costs the tories money. I don't particularly want to make extra profit for Facebook or Google, but...

* but I have been wondering why something called BlightyTV has been popping up on Youtube. Turns out it's linked on the tory facebook main page. hmm.
the "Garden Tax" is now today's topic of conversation in the office this morning and not in a good way for Lab - Tories would do well to hammer that between now & election day

Never even heard of it.

Ipsos Mori seem to update less often than some of the others, so that ten point swing is in 2 weeks and in line with the others over that period. It's jaw-dropping because we aren't used to 10 point swings in two weeks, not because it is particularly out of line -- two weeks ago, everybody had the Tories with a lead of about 15 points, now 5 is more typical. Incredible but true.

That Ipsos Mori is interesting because IIRC they have focused on correcting for turnout rather than taking the YouGov/Survation approach of trying to improve sampling, so two different methods now showing a lead of 5-6%.

EDIT: Actually scratch that I'm confusing Ipsos Mori and ICM.

Yep, all models bar YouGov's show an increased Tory majority and BritainElects uses an running average of the last polls by each pollster so they have the Tories up 9% in Labour.
Ohh wait, I suppose I was conflating 'voting intentions' (e.g. in IpsoMori above) with 'seats won'.

I don't think so - for her personally a gain of one seat would be a disaster. Obviously she'd still be PM in the short term but her standing would be destroyed, and the other Tories who fancy the job would be getting into line.
(possibly amongst other reasons) she called the election because her backbenches contained sufficient potential rebels to threaten her stability and make her look weak. If she fails to gain a clear personal mandate by substantially increasing her majority she's toast and they're into trench warfare. Which will be fun to watch if nothing else :D

(possibly amongst other reasons) she called the election because her backbenches contained sufficient potential rebels to threaten her stability and make her look weak. If she fails to gain a clear personal mandate by substantially increasing her majority she's toast and they're into trench warfare. Which will be fun to watch if nothing else :D

Even staying on the same number of seats would be shit for them. They were expecting a landslide. Isn't the majority at the moment about 6?

the "Garden Tax" is now today's topic of conversation in the office this morning and not in a good way for Lab - Tories would do well to hammer that between now & election day

It has been pushed a bit - though it always falls down because the mention of it in the manifesto only says that they'll consider it, and the people who it would impact on most are people who do not have "gardens" as they are commonly understood.

Even staying on the same number of seats would be shit for them. They were expecting a landslide. Isn't the majority at the moment about 6?
Absolute majority of 17 at dissolution. She needs an increased majority measured by the dozen to make her position secure.

Back
Top Bottom