Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

I do wonder if the enthusiasm of younger people may be rubbing off on their parents and/or enabling them to see it through their eyes - bringing housing, student fees etc into sharp focus
I think so, all those enthused students heading home must have an impact - it's either going to be the parents talking the students out of it, or the students talking the parents round. I suspect it will mainly be the latter that prevails, particularly as the students will still be being bombarded daily by labour messaging from their friends etc on facebook, unlike 20 years ago when students would have gone home and instantly been isolated from their peers.

I always suspected this could be on the cards - 600,000 members can make a big difference during an election period in the crucial marginal seats as can the exposure given to corbyn.

A lot of the people I know that are getting involved aren't party members. Voter registration drives, delivering leaflets, flyering at train stations, designing and distributing anti-Tory postcards. Dunkirk spirit and all that. If I was anywhere that mattered I'd be inclined to muck in too, at least as punishment for wasting my time with those shit unsolicited YouTube adverts.

I think so, all those enthused students heading home must have an impact - it's either going to be the parents talking the students out of it, or the students talking the parents round. I suspect it will mainly be the latter that prevails, particularly as the students will still be being bombarded daily by labour messaging from their friends etc on facebook, unlike 20 years ago when students would have gone home and instantly been isolated from their peers.

More likely m/c parents getting a bit fed up of skimping on golfing cruises to pay their kids' rent.

I think Labour will win the demographics of young voters and students, whatever the result. But I'm not convinced that we can talk about a mobilised, active group, intervening in the election. To be honest, I'm no longer sure where the dividing line between clicktivism, memes, facebook and 'real life' interests and politics is any more - and I'm not really aiming this at your post. But I have a feeling some of that is at the heart of Labour's apparent surge in the polls, which might not manifest itself on the day.

I think Labour will win the demographics of young voters and students, whatever the result. But I'm not convinced that we can talk about a mobilised, active group, intervening in the election. To be honest, I'm no longer sure where the dividing line between clicktivism, memes, facebook and 'real life' interests and politics is any more - and I'm not really aiming this at your post. But I have a feeling some of that is at the heart of Labour's apparent surge in the polls, which might not manifest itself on the day.

Cue campaigns for internet voting...

Cue campaigns for internet voting...
I was just about to come out with something about Labour winning the hyper-real and the virtual, while the unremitting filth of day to day neo-liberalism grinds on after June 8th.

when it converts to 4-5000 kids causing a road block just attempting to hear Corbyn speak on less than 18 hours notice I reckon it's reached beyond just clicktivism.

Yeah, I get that, but it's more a question of why now. 2010 was understandable, Labour were barely the 'left option' (to say the least) and had been running an economy in crisis. But why did Labour not get those votes in 2015, right after the economic stagnation and cuts? I'm no fan of Miliband, Labour or social democracy, but on some kind of spectrum they could make some kind of claim to being the least bad of the big parties. But my real question is why not a month ago or even 2 weeks ago? Labour were positioned exactly where they are now, but were polling in the high 20s.
On the italic part, I don't know really, maybe just the election clarifying things in people's minds.

But I do think whatever the, often very valid, criticisms that can be made of Corbyn/McDonnell/etc at least this time Labour are at least offering something slightly different. In 2015 it was austerity but just a bit less than the Tories, I mean they were too scared/ideologically opposed to even go for re-ntaionalisation of the railways, something that poll after poll has shown is incredibly popular.

You're deluded if you think a load of students are going to go home from uni and argue their Tory parents round to voting Labour. Enough for it to be significant anyway. The fuck.
Those 30 odd percent who've always voted tory and always will aren't going to get talked around, but the tories have put on about 15-20% of support that was once Lib Dem or UKIP or even Labour. That's not hardcore tory support, it's soft support that's now being eroded by a variety of factors, one of which could well be million or more students returning home, most of whom are pretty enthused corbyn supporters.

I'd say it's more deluded to think that would have zero impact.

Hopefully it'll make them a bit panicked and clumsy, May will look even more knackered, behind closed doors lots of shouting and finger pointing. Realistically they'll just ramp up the fear factor / negative ads even more, get the papers on the case, get the vote out.

I'm too used to being disappointed. I'd love that 1997 feeling again, boozed up and shrieking with a room full of mates, Portillo out on his arse and so on. Most likely to sleep through it this time, wake up with grinning Tories on the telly :(

False dawn though.

Those 30 odd percent who've always voted tory and always will aren't going to get talked around, but the tories have put on about 15-20% of support that was once Lib Dem or UKIP or even Labour. That's not hardcore tory support, it's soft support that's now being eroded by a variety of factors, one of which could well be million or more students returning home, most of whom are pretty enthused corbyn supporters.

I'd better get out and vote to cancel out my idiot child...

hang on - do you guys actually think May decided to call an election on her Easter walking holiday?
The tories hadn't prepared for it, their constituency parties had no clue it was happening and had had no instructions to prepare for a snap election.

Whether or not she actually took the decision on her holiday, the fact is the tories were less prepared for it as a party than Labour, who'd issued instructions to prepare for a snap election 6 months ago (as had the lib dems).

who said zero?

when it converts to 4-5000 kids causing a road block just attempting to hear Corbyn speak on less than 18 hours notice I reckon it's reached beyond just clicktivism.
I vaguely remember talking about the corbyn mass meetings (1st leadership election) and the massive rise in membership - that they weren't translating into an actual political force or engagement with working class voters - and using the term 'real life clicktivism'. A sort of splurge of do a bit of that, forward that and add that to your profile. I don't actually mean that to sound quite as cynical as it does and as I've said, I'm struggling to work out where the boundary of facebookmemery and real life interests is any more. None of this has the characteristics of a 'social movement', that's part of it - and neither does it really look like class politics. I don't know whether the impulses to do this roadblock are the same as the impulse to go on strike?

I vaguely remember talking about the corbyn mass meetings (1st leadership election) and the massive rise in membership - that they weren't translating into an actual political force or engagement with working class voters - and using the term 'real life clicktivism'. A sort of splurge of do a bit of that, forward that and add that to your profile. I don't actually mean that to sound quite as cynical as it does and as I've said, I'm struggling to work out where the boundary of facebookmemery and real life interests is any more. None of this has the characteristics of a 'social movement', that's part of it - and neither does it really look like class politics. I don't know whether the impulses to do this roadblock are the same as the impulse to go on strike?

I'm trying to work it out too but I can't quite do a proper analysis because the crowds are hidden behind Laura Kuenssberg's tree.

who said zero?
ok, you're saying it's insignificant, I'm saying it probably is a significant factor.

We are talking about a million plus people here going home and sitting watching the final election debates with their parents and talking about their student debt levels etc.

Exactly. Deep down we all know that tories tend to come out and vote more on the day where it matters.
I'm sorry but this and the 80% turnout stuff is as fantastical as your predications for the Green break through in Leeds NW two years.

Seriously, take a breath, have a cup of tea and calm down.

Back
Top Bottom