Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

what it really needs is some proper grimey chorus between that 'liar liar' refrain. I joke not, its a nice chorus. The video is wank mind

I never really understood the logic behind not doing it.
It's a bit of a "parade of losers" without the incumbent government.

(Although have I missed something? Did I hear that Amber Rudd is going to be there?)

That's the worst possible strategy for the Tories. Ignore it disdainfully if you must, but don't show it is important enough to turn up for and then have your leader run scared.

What I've been trying to work out, and I've asked several people about it and none of them have any more of answer than I do, why Rudd? May is a far more capable speaker than Rudd, as you say it would make more sense to just ignore it and send no one or just to send May... but Rudd?

Is Rudd actually secretly a great speaker and I've just not seen it?

Surely they just assumed that Corbyn would never turn up, otherwise they would never have decided this!

Is Rudd actually secretly a great speaker and I've just not seen it?

Surely they just assumed that Corbyn would never turn up, otherwise they would never have decided this!

She strikes me as a massive liability, she constantly looks flustered and never in control of things. I do get the impression that she is one of May's favorites though, perhaps TM doesn't trust the others?

Given that her entire campaign has been about her being the best choice for those tough talks with the EU, her shitting it at the thought of debating Jeremy fucking Corbyn is a absolute fuck up of the highest order. Even if (when) she wins, she's fucked it.

Given that her entire campaign has been about her being the best choice for those tough talks with the EU, her shitting it at the thought of debating Jeremy fucking Corbyn is a absolute fuck up of the highest order. Even if (when) she wins, she's fucked it.

I just don't get it, there must be some thinking behind all this that I do not see but to me it just looks like a total disaster.

I just don't get it, there must be some thinking behind all this that I do not see but to me it just looks like a total disaster.
Everything they have done has been a disaster -- why not this too?

It's still not on the scale of the dementia tax, for example.

Yes it does look bad. As long as Corbyn doesn't balls it all up this should be an open goal.

1) Signage. I really think that, at least here in the West Midlands both in marginal, Tory and Labour areas is a distinct lack of signs for Tory candidates whereas there are a good number of signs for Labour candidates. This was something that was pointed out by pro-Trump commentators during the US election in 2016 in respect to Clinton, they were laughed at but it really did seem to point to a lack of enthusiasm which translated into poor turnout for Clinton..

I was chatting about this with a few mates at the weekend. Pretty much all I'm seeing around the Black Country is Labour signs. In fact, I saw only my second Tory signs yesterday, and that was 'cos I was on the rural outskirts of Wolves, in one of the Shropshire?Staffordshire?? constituencies which butt into Wolves and they were lined up along a farmers field.

A lot of Labour signs in my marginal constituency. Have seen but one Tory sign, even in the posh areas on the west side.

Most interesting is that stretch of the Brum New Road/Wolverhampton road (can't remember which bit is which) between the M5/sandwell/toysrus roundabout and the Hagley Road crossroads. I've always found the lamposts (and to a lesser extent, houses which line the road) pretty reflective of political trends. 2001 everything was Labour. 2005 was a real mix of Labour and BNP. 2010 was a load of UKIP and Tory, European elections bunch of UKIP, 2015 mix of Tory, Labour and UKIP, lots of Leave for the Euro Ref. The last week or so driving up and down there lots of posters. All Labour.

fuck knows if any of this will actually end up meaning anything.

I'd love to do some GIS analysis of posters/signs + election results but can't imagine where I'd get data from

I was chatting about this with a few mates at the weekend. Pretty much all I'm seeing around the Black Country is Labour signs. In fact, I saw only my second Tory signs yesterday, and that was 'cos I was on the rural outskirts of Wolves, in one of the Shropshire?Staffordshire?? constituencies which butt into Wolves and they were lined up along a farmers field.

A lot of Labour signs in my marginal constituency. Have seen but one Tory sign, even in the posh areas on the west side.

Most interesting is that stretch of the Brum New Road/Wolverhampton road (can't remember which bit is which) between the M5/sandwell/toysrus roundabout and the Hagley Road crossroads. I've always found the lamposts (and to a lesser extent, houses which line the road) pretty reflective of political trends. 2001 everything was Labour. 2005 was a real mix of Labour and BNP. 2010 was a load of UKIP and Tory, European elections bunch of UKIP, 2015 mix of Tory, Labour and UKIP, lots of Leave for the Euro Ref. The last week or so driving up and down there lots of posters. All Labour.

I'd love to do some GIS analysis of posters/signs + election results but can't imagine where I'd get data from

I have seen a few Tory signs in Streetly, Four Oaks and Sutton Coldfield but not that many, a lot less than I would expect to see in these areas. I agree with you, it's an interesting topic. I don't think we should dismiss it outright at all. As you say, a lot of these signs are in areas where there was a lot of signage for the Leave campaign during the referendum, this is potentially positive stuff isn't it.

Same here. I live in a tory seat but it is just 2000 majority and number one target for the lib dems. I've seen loads and loads of lib dem posters and even a few labour and green. I've not seen one tory yet, not one in a marginal seat where they are the incumbent. Bizarre to say the least.

I know v little about politics in the SW but these results would be extraordinarily good for Labour if true, wouldn't they? Aren't these ordinarily places where Labour isn't competitive?
Falmouth & Camborne has had Labour MPs before, 1997-2005 most recently. Constituency was abolished in 2010 - Labour were 7,000 behind Tories in Camborne & Redruth in 2015.
Rest of Cornwall is a Tory/Lib Dem fight

hey...the One Show with Matt Baker is hardly a walk in the park you know... :mad:

Same here. I live in a tory seat but it is just 2000 majority and number one target for the lib dems. I've seen loads and loads of lib dem posters and even a few labour and green. I've not seen one tory yet, not one in a marginal seat where they are the incumbent. Bizarre to say the least.

Would Tory voters want to sully their garden or their window with an ugly sign, though? Tories are hardly activists, and signs are a bit activist, aren't they?

Would Tory voters want to sully their garden or their window with an ugly sign, though? Tories are hardly activists, and signs are a bit activist, aren't they?

Probably less so but it was very different two years ago. We had Cameron down here making visits along with several other high profile tories. Its like they've given up on the seat this time around.

Back
Top Bottom