Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Police issue "new" guidance on live facial recognition

1%er

Following the 2020 case of Bridges v South Wales Police, where the court ruled the current way this technology was being applied breaches privacy rights, data protection laws, equality laws and Article 8 ECHR. The college of policing, which covers England and Wales have issued new guidance for force's to follow. I guess we will have to wait and see if the new guidance addresses all the issues raised by the court, but I'd be surprised if they have.

The information about Bridges v South Wales Police can be found here
An outline of the The college of policing guidance can be found here but the link at the bottom of this page to the full guidance doesn't seem to work for me

Liberty, which describes itself as "the UK's largest civil liberties organisation," said the technology was oppressive and had no place in a democracy.
"Our ability to express ideas, communicate with others and engage in democratic processes will be undermined by technology such as facial recognition," said campaigns manager Emmanuelle Andrews.
"The expansion of mass surveillance tools has no place on the streets of a rights respecting democracy."

It doesn't matter what "guidance" the police are issued. When they want to use any kind of technology or investigation techniques they will use them. That is regardance of guidance (which let's face it is open to "misinterpretation" ) or any laws in statue.

Back
Top Bottom