Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

The kids have gone back to their mums after a week with me, so I'm planning some longer walks - I've been meaning to investigate some of the public rights of way in my area, and yesterday went on a lengthy walk along some of them - I followed the green dotted line you can see above Nooklands, then along Savick Brook, crossing Preston Golf Club on the top right of the map:

1586779151737.png

This lush overgrown (and clearly barely used) path is the Nooklands PROW - just running along between the back gardens of two sets of houses.

20200412_164925.jpg

Savick Brook:

20200412_190153.jpg

A bit further down the brook, despite being deep in the middle of suburban Preston, there's a dairy farm. :confused:

20200412_185509.jpg

The deserted golf course from the 17th hole (it was lovely here - probably less so with golfers about tho)

20200412_183746.jpg

20200412_183742.jpg

I checked my OS app and decided to carry on walking north, to arbitrarily finish at the well marked on the top right of this map:

1586780489989.png

(another suburban farm)

20200412_175010.jpg

Crossing the motorway - an instructive contrast (in some ways an explanation for) to pictures shared elsewhere of busy city parks - this is the main motorway into and out of the Lake District this bank holiday weekend.

20200412_180418.jpg

More of a tiny swamp than a well tbh...

20200412_181006.jpg

I'm just planning today's walk now, and will be heading out shortly...

Could be a reed bunting, it was very near to some reeds. I'm not much with the names of all the birds tbh.

Photos are from Attenborough Nature Reserve, a bunch of flooded gravel pits just outside Nottingham.

Must be lovely when really empty. Not been there in years.

Must be lovely when really empty. Not been there in years.

I've certainly never seen the place so empty, especially on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Before I get a bollocking for being there myself I took a five-minute shortcut round the edge, and only because I saw that the footpaths were deserted.

e2a: Attenborough nature reserve was recently bought outright by Natural England after the initial lease from the quarry company expired. The campaign to raise the cash to save the reserve was supported by David Attenborough (no relation).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom