Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

I got my camera out to take my first photo on this afternoon's ride only to find the battery was flat so I've had to use the phone.

The M25 is down there somewhere.

The North Downs Way isn't always easy to spot but it's the track on the right.

Gatton Park

Millenium Stone Circle

Yes, that North Downs Way track again. A 70 metre climb back up the field. :(

Last edited:
How far are you going on your rides Leafster?

Did 26.7 miles today, 23 of them off road, feel utterly ruined now!

View attachment 229303
I'm aiming for around 20 miles at the moment. I did 23 miles last Sunday but yesterday's was only 16 miles.

The target yesterday was to join the North Downs Way or Pilgrims Way and follow them westwards to just beyond Reigate. Unfortunately my route planning let me down. I hadn't even left Caterham when I hit a so-called bridleway which was more or less a drainage ditch running straight up the side of a hill (around the 2 mile mark). Someone on Strava has marked it as "a dead end". It isn't but it was way beyond my capabilities!

After I hit the road to Merstham (A23) the NDW seems to have a lot of footpath only sections and I couldn't find any alternatives apart from using a busy road. Saturday afternoon was probably a bad time to choose to ride this section.

By the time I got to Gatton Park I'd had enough so I turned round and headed home. I'll give it another go sometime if only to say I've cycled through Quality Street - a road in Merstham. I need to study the maps more carefully to see where the bike-friendly alternatives are to the NDW but I think I'll end up on the footpath sections to avoid the busy roads.

Ride 05 Sep 20.png

Hedgehog update..
I built a wee hedgehog house from a pallet and was all set for homecoming..
IMG_20200909_120915.jpg
.. and the internal floor plan..
IMG_20200909_120852.jpg

Anyway.. the animal rescue woman has decided to hold on to him for the winter as he seems very thin and not strong or aware enough to survive on his own. I am to call in spring and they will give me him and another one to release then..
So that's not a bad result.. at least he is safe and looked after now..

Today I walked from Shippea Hill station to Ely in Cambridgeshire, about 9 miles.

Shippea Hill station is one of Britain's least used stations. Two trains arrive around 7am, one going east the other west, and that's it for the day.

shippea.jpg

No path, just the roadside to walk along.

shippea (1).jpg

Drivers belt along the straight Fenland roads, collisions and other accidents are common.

shippea (2).jpg

:(

shippea (3).jpg

Roswell Pits near Ely. Old clay pits turned into a nature reserve.

shippea (4).jpg

In Ely Country Park.

shippea (5).jpg

Today's ride was south over the North Downs and then into The Weald for a bit.

Tried to avoid roads as much as possible but sometimes there were no alternatives.

I took a break on the edge of a village cricket pitch which was down a rough track just as the players were arriving. Someone, who assume was on the visiting team was very carefully picking his way over the ruts in his Aventador. I don't think he'll be taking that car again if they ever have a rematch! :D

Back
Top Bottom