Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

Today's state-sanctioned excercise pictures are from Warbstow Bury, a 2500 year old hill fort in north Cornwall. It's hard to take photos of because of the sheer scale of it but I thought I'd have a go. It's made up of two concentric rings of walls, each surrounded by ditches. The inner circle alone is about the size of a cricket stadium.

Here's one of the two 'entrances' to the inner ring:

wb1a.JPG

The walls either side of this gap rise to over ten feet and the ditch outside them is almost as deep again. Here's the view out through that same entrance:

wb2a.JPG

The high ground on the horizon there is Dartmoor, about 30 miles to the South East. Here's a close up:

wb4a.JPG

Here you can see one of the inner walls, and the ditch outside it:

wb3a.JPG

And here's the view from the top of the wall, with the ditch on the right:

wb5a.JPG

It's the best place I know of to see Red Kites, but you'll have to take my word for it because there were none about today. It's also the best-preserved hill fort of this kind I've seen, and best of all hardly anyone else ever goes there.

Crossbones graveyard, Borough. 15000 mostly women and children's bodies found under what was a school playground, when TFL bought the school to build on. There is now a 30 year lease preventing building over the bodies again......bastarding church threw them all in unconsecrated ground.
20200730_121803.jpg
20200730_123252.jpg
20200730_123846.jpg
Red Cross way....So called because in plague times nearly every door had a red cross.
20200730_124821.jpg8
20200730_125648.jpg
Wibbly Wobbly bridge.
20200730_131720.jpg
Warhol exhibition in Tate.
20200730_140910.jpg
20200730_140637.jpg
Andy Warhol's syrup.
20200730_141028.jpg
20200730_141600.jpg

Today on State Sanctioned Excercise Pictures it's (pause for effect) interesting rock formations!

rf1a.jpgrf2a.jpgrf3a.jpg

The last one is my favourite. The thin iron-rich seams are an inch or so proud of the rock face. This has created a distinctive concentric pattern of erosion within the resulting cell-like structures, presumably because the rock in the middle of each 'cell' has been worn down through more strata where it's less sheltered by the iron.

Last edited:
Today on State Sanctioned Excercise Pictures (pause for effect) it's interesting rock formations!

View attachment 224472View attachment 224473View attachment 224474

The last one is my favourite. The thin iron-rich seams are an inch or so proud of the rock face. This has created a distinctive concentric pattern of erosion within the resulting cell-like structures, presumably because the rock in the middle of each 'cell' has been worn down through more strata where it's less sheltered by the iron.
That's really cool!

Today on State Sanctioned Excercise Pictures it's (pause for effect) interesting rock formations!

View attachment 224472View attachment 224473View attachment 224474

they would look great on acid or mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom