Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

didn't go out on the weekend, figured i'd taken my fair share of state oxygen earlier in the week when it was cold, and scared of adding to any numbers that might be used as an excuse for total home confinement. the impact on my mood was a bit shocking tbh.

today i avoided the park apart from crossing it and marched up and down the hills around the posher end of things where they have front gardens, wide pavements and empty roads. nothing picturesque to report except the wonder of how freeing it is when there's 1/1000th the cars on the road.

didn't go out on the weekend, figured i'd taken my fair share of state oxygen earlier in the week when it was cold, and scared of adding to any numbers that might be used as an excuse for total home confinement. the impact on my mood was a bit shocking tbh.

today i avoided the park apart from crossing it and marched up and down the hills around the posher end of things where they have front gardens, wide pavements and empty roads. nothing picturesque to report except the wonder of how freeing it is when there's 1/1000th the cars on the road.
I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive about my walk up to the view point. I went early as I thought there would be fewer people there. It turns out that I timed it just about right. As you can see from one of the photos above, a few people turned up after I'd been there for a while so I took that as my cue to leave.

I'm finding the thing with the cars a bit weird. It's great they aren't about and it's so much quieter but I keep having to remind myself I shouldn't be walking in the road, even on the quietest of stretches, just in case a car appears at speed.

i do a full visual check first, but do duck into the road for other peds (if crossing isn't a better option) and have witnessed many others do the same.

i do a full visual check first, but do duck into the road for other peds (if crossing isn't a better option) and have witnessed many others do the same.
Yes, I duck into the road to keep my distance if necessary but I meant that I've found myself wandering aimlessly down the middle of some roads even when I shouldn't. There are quite a few roads around here without pavements (including my own) and I've discovered I'm forgetting the road safety rules of walking on the edge of the road in the direction of what would be the on-coming traffic if there was any!

There are quite a few roads around here without pavements (including my own) and I've discovered I'm forgetting the road safety rules of walking on the edge of the road in the direction of what would be the on-coming traffic if there was any!
there's many trade-offs atm aren't there - availability of daylight/open space/can't drive/have to drive... i don't begrudge you your scenic freedoms fwiw :thumbs:

exercise seems so key to me on a wider level - physically fitter people potentially get get less ill and take fewer resources, demographically speaking. is my apology to those who'd rather i didn't, i guess.

Barnes Common earlier this evening.

dlbn2oB.jpg

3aIcslp.jpg

nBFgVfO.jpg

Yesterday I tried to find a walk with the minimum amount of public roads but found other people had been thinking the same. I guess it's all relative though so probably only crossed paths with a handful of people.

These steps and the path before and after were particularly busy.

Which led on to this

Another tree "arch"

Lots of birdsong and butterflies (Brimstone, Orange Tip, Tortoiseshell and Peacock) but only one stayed still long enough for me to photo

Apple blossom (I think)

...only other person we saw was the land agent driving around, he stopped to say hello and enquire how many squirrels the dog had killed so far...
so.....how many? you can't leave us hanging like this :mad:

I was once told that if the dog catches one you are not allowed to release it back into the wild....which is sort of corroborated here..

PC Nick Willey, Wildlife Crime Officer at Lincolnshire Police, added: “This particular animal can be dispatched humanely complying with Animal Welfare Act 2006 guidelines. That in mind to catch and release a Squirrel for a dog to kill is an offence."

so.....how many? you can't leave us hanging like this :mad:

I was once told that if the dog catches one you are not allowed to release it back into the wild....which is sort of corroborated here..

PC Nick Willey, Wildlife Crime Officer at Lincolnshire Police, added: “This particular animal can be dispatched humanely complying with Animal Welfare Act 2006 guidelines. That in mind to catch and release a Squirrel for a dog to kill is an offence."

Two yesterday, had a third right under her snout and fluffed it. Sunday she got one, normally she grabs them and a couple of shakes to kill it, then she drops it, dunno what went wrong on Sunday, saw it cross the path and she chased it in to the undergrowth, came out with blood over her nose and tongue.

Her evil ways with squirrels does upset me and puts a bit of a downer on walks, especially at this time of year when they’re all a bit silly, but it is just what she does and I’m not fussed enough to try and de programme a Lurcher.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom