Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

i went up to the Stiperstones in Shropshire yesterday - a 10km ridge that sits at around 500m and is a stones throw from the Montgomeryshire border...021.1.jpg
026.1.jpg031.1.jpg051.1.jpg041.1.jpg052.1.jpg053.1.jpg067.1.jpg072.1.jpg

it was a grey, blustery day. Red Kites, Kestrels, and Buzzards patrolled the skies, and the Barrow Wights rest in the tormented sleep of the undead...
058.1.jpg

Last edited:
supposedly reopening after nearly 30 years
My abiding memory is that the water was freezing and full of dead flies. I’ve been following the saga over the years...the “proper” swimming pool that had to be demolished and the talk of renovating it. I’m getting to the age where I’m thinking of moving to Grange ;)
(I was born in Kendal)

what a story:

December 17.-A frightful and lamentable accident took place on the Town Moor, Newcastle-on-Tyne, whereby eight persons lost their lives...

From the evidence brought out at the inquest, it appeared that a considerable quantity of a very dangerous material, which, on examination, proved to be nitro-glycerine (for blasting purposes in mines, &c.), was stored in a cellar at the White Swan Yard, Cloth Market. .. After conferring with the magistrates and Town Clerk, it was ordered to be removed out of the town or destroyed. Not being able to induce the Railway Company to carry it, it was decided to destroy it by removing it to the Town Moor, and emptying it into the earth at a part of the Moor where there was a subsidence in the ground, caused by the workings of the Spital Tongues Colliery.

What occurred here is unknown, and probably never will be. The Sub-Inspector had got his task completed, and was about leaving to join the others, when a dreadful explosion took place. Wallace felt the earth shake, and at the same time saw fragments of clothing and other articles flying high up in the air. Though so near to the scene of the explosion, he was happily uninjured himself, his escape being accounted for by the fact that the bank was between him and the explosion.

...He immediately proceeded to the spot, and, on the west side of the hill, where the explosion took place, found a portion of the body of P.C. Bain dreadfully mutilated and shattered - the other portions of the body, horrible to relate, being blown away.

...The jury returned the following verdict:- "That death has been caused by the explosion of nitro-glycerine accidentally; and the jury are unanimously of opinion that the law in reference to the storing of nitro-glycerine has been grossly violated in this case."

Back
Top Bottom