Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

One thing that's very obvious in these pics is a total or nearly total lack of people.
Some quite effective social distancing going on. :thumbs:

Just been for a bike ride, all the way to Tilford without going on tarmac and once there found that the Barley Mow has a fridge set up in the garden and is selling bottles of beer and cider, bar snacks and baguettes. The green opposite had around 30 people swigging away. A PUB!!!!

D963D632-1C85-4D42-840A-234EA3C0A2BA.jpegED2980FC-08F4-4484-A50B-BA1FE0B8D8A9.jpegBCA4DA23-5EB9-47AC-BCF6-8FCC4182CAB0.jpeg

View attachment 214018View attachment 214020
View attachment 214019
View attachment 214021View attachment 214022
If you zoom in can just about make out the City 15 or so miles away. East across the Middlesex plain

View attachment 214023
View attachment 214024
View attachment 214025View attachment 214026View attachment 214027
Harrow on the Hill. Byron's grave and that. Bit of a slog in the heat tbh.

Lovely blue skies in Harrow.
Byron isn't actually buried on the hill tho there is a family plot there. There was some scandal at the time of his death and he was refused burial there.
The poem is reminiscing of his schooldays on the hill.
The views of London and outwards from St Mary's churchyard are spectacular and it's a beautiful sight at night.

Last edited:
Byron isn't actually buried on the hill tho there is a family plot there. There was some scandal at the time of his death and he was refused burial there.
The views of London and outwards from St Mary's churchyard are spectacular and it's a beautiful sight at night.
No, you're right and I was wrong. Lord Byron's resting place to be saved

Surprising he had a plot considering he hated his time at Harrow.

Took the photos in the sun a few days ago. Clear skies but too hot for a ten miles walk.

The poem is reminiscing of his schooldays on the hill.

Byron's buried in Hucknall, Notts IIRC.

e2a: The family home, Newstead Abbey, is nearby and well worth a visit if you're in that part of the world. All closed for the forseeable of course, including the grounds :(

Went for a quick walk to to the beach yesterday evening before tea

view.jpg

The tide was just on the turn, so there was't much beach to play on

tide.jpg

Fresh erosion, means I live closer to the beach. Accidentally caught a random runner - I think she thought I was photographing her :oops:

erosian.jpg

Walked inland today. Crossed the parish boundary :hmm:

st hilary.jpg cross.jpg

foxglves.jpg

I'm wondering kebabking if that is a spotted flycatcher. 89% decline in the last 40 years but reported to be making a comeback this year. Can't tell the size (should be quite small, about robin size) but ticks all the other boxes. Great spot and picture if it is one.

I think it must have been bigger than that - probably Thrush/Blackbird size. The piccy would have been taken at 100m or so.

Could be wrong though....

Cheers anyway, I absolutely love listening to the birdsong as I wander about, it brings actual soaring joy to my soul to hear it - and It's bloody lamentable that I know so little about them.

Back
Top Bottom