People who clap when the plane lands

Do you clap when the plane lands?

• I always clap.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Yes sometimes. If others do.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • No. But don't care if others do.

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • No. And it's most irksome when people do.

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Not only do I clap. I do a full rendition of of 'Celebration' by Kool & The Gang.

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
I am terrified of flying but had to do it quite a bit over the last few years. On flights with lots of turbulence/storms etc, I am unashamedly clapping along with everyone else. On a routine short haul flight, I restrain myself.

Perhaps this is a dying phenomenon but I haven't witnessed any clapping lately. Then again I haven't been in Eastern Europe either where it was most prevalent in my experience. Hit me up if you've recently been party to any unnecessary clapping for landing a plane.

I always clap when I pull off a perfect landing. It’s happened about three times…

Perhaps this is a dying phenomenon but I haven't witnessed any clapping lately. Then again I haven't been in Eastern Europe either where it was most prevalent in my experience. Hit me up if you've recently been party to any unnecessary clapping for landing a plane.
I went to Ibiza in May and one person clapped. Think it was on the way back to Manc, actually.

It might have been something like this:
I saw a TikTok the other day with a group of friends that travel together.
They play a game and the loser has to loudly clap on landing so everything thinks they’re a dick. 😄
The clapper stopped pretty quickly. If there was such a thing as an embarassed clap, this was it.

Since I last replied to this thread 10 years ago I have clapped a landing!

We flew to Bilbao in February and the last 20 minutes of the flight we had rollercoaster turbulence. It was frightening basically. And when we landed everyone clapped with relief. Me included and I was happy to!!

The landing into Bilbao is notorious for turbulence. Probably my worst flight experience ever was on the approach there.

In April flew Bequia-St Vincent-Barbados on a very small plane. Two very large ladies from Union Island, one across from me and the other in front. One was a pastor she told us, well they sang Amazing Grace from take off to touchdown and once landed they praised the Lord lavishly for delivering us safely. Whilst waiting to be refuelled in St Vincent the pastor asked me what religion I was. Normally would launch in to my atheist spiel at such a query…”Christian, ma’am.” was my meek reply…

Back
Top Bottom