People who clap when the plane lands

Do you clap when the plane lands?

• I always clap.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes sometimes. If others do.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • No. But don't care if others do.

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • No. And it's most irksome when people do.

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Not only do I clap. I do a full rendition of of 'Celebration' by Kool & The Gang.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
I think most of you are very miserable.
All things are relative. I consider myself to be suitably miserable. Some other folks are simply not miserable enough.

"Yay! We got here in one piece!"
Were you expecting to die in flames? Flying is statistically the safest form of mechanised travel. Are you proportionately more ebullient in your celebrations at arriving intact at a train station?

"Yay, we're on holiday!"
This makes no sense whatsoever. If you were so bizarrely inclined, you'd effuse similarly the moment you'd packed your bags, why wait until the plane lands? Or why not wait until you arrive successfully at your hotel? What's so special about the point of landing?

No, you really don't want to end up sitting next to me on a plane :)
The only person I want to sit next to on a plane is a waif thin introvert who neither moves, talks, smells or attempts to interact with me in any sense whatsoever for the entirety of the flight. As with most of my dreams, I fear this one will be forever unfulfilled...:(

.. Were you expecting to die in flames? Flying is statistically the safest form of mechanised travel. Are you proportionately more ebullient in your celebrations at arriving intact at a train station?
Actually it depends how you analyse and present the data.

Aircraft are safe considering miles per fatality, predictably as they tend to do longer journeys, and also predictably this is the statistic that the Aerospace industry prefer to use.

But take deaths per billion journeys (journeys not miles) Air is 117 and Car (which is normally thought of as more dangerous) is 40 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_safety#Statistics

Hence I remain a slightly anxious traveller.

All things are relative. I consider myself to be suitably miserable. Some other folks are simply not miserable enough.

Were you expecting to die in flames? Flying is statistically the safest form of mechanised travel. Are you proportionately more ebullient in your celebrations at arriving intact at a train station?

This makes no sense whatsoever. If you were so bizarrely inclined, you'd effuse similarly the moment you'd packed your bags, why wait until the plane lands? Or why not wait until you arrive successfully at your hotel? What's so special about the point of landing?

The only person I want to sit next to on a plane is a waif thin introvert who neither moves, talks, smells or attempts to interact with me in any sense whatsoever for the entirety of the flight. As with most of my dreams, I fear this one will be forever unfulfilled...:(

I usually go somewhere really shit on the train, though. It's not like you can get a train to Crete is it?

Yes I frequently do a little "I'm packing my bag" dance. If you're lucky I'll show you someday when I'm sitting next to you on a plane and we've run out of things to talk about :cool:

I think most of you are very miserable.

"Yay! We got here in one piece!"
"Yay, we're on holiday!"

Shared moment with your fellow man, innit.

No, you really don't want to end up sitting next to me on a plane :)
someone applauded once on a cityjet flight to Zurich. I mean who the fuck applauds arriving in Zurich:confused::confused:

Is this mostly a European phenomenon? They seem to love it in Eastern Europe from my experience. But I've seen it creep in on flights within Western Europe too in recent years.

Does it happen elsewhere? I've never noticed it in America, North or South, and I haven't been to any other continents. Are you a happy clapper? Or are you too engrossed in your beats by dre phones to have noticed this peculiarity of travel?
I've always thought it seemed rather patronising.

HOWEVER, I do remember a particular flight coming into Heathrow in particularly strong sidewinds. We had to go around once, and then came into land crabwise, with a certain amount of holding-of-breath on the part of the passengers, to execute a perfect touchdown and rollout. All of which was accompanied by the first officer, somehow contriving to be both laconic and reassuring, giving us something of a running commentary on the whole business.

A lot of people clapped, and I think it was as much for the sheer performance of the whole thing as anything else. Naturally, I merely did an internal half-smile, gently raised an eyebrow, and did an invisible nod in appreciation.

But all that breaking out into applause when a plane makes a perfectly normal landing in ideal conditions...nah, that just says to me "windy passenger acting out exaggerated relief at being back on the ground". Good luck to them, but you won't catch me at it.

Aircraft are safe considering miles per fatality, predictably as they tend to do longer journeys, and also predictably this is the statistic that the Aerospace industry prefer to use.

But take deaths per billion journeys (journeys not miles) Air is 117 and Car (which is normally thought of as more dangerous) is 40 ...

Which really only goes to show that statistics, like guns, can be used, or abused. This being a rather excellent example of the latter, IMO :)

I don't clap. I prefer to use local celebrations

Examples:
Yeehaaaa for landing anywhere in the states
Smashing plates for landing in Greece
Letting off firecrackers for landing in china.

Sometimes it just feels good to be thankful, eh? Life can be well shit.
I kinda like that sentiment. It says good things about you. :)

But then the other part of me wonders if you applaud whenever you get off the bus - assuming the driver hasn't plunged it into a multi-vehicle pile up. ;)

Those statistics are far from clear...

What does "deaths per billion journeys" actually mean?

If I am on foot, the journey involves a head count of 1. If I'm in an Airbus A380 it might mean a head count of 600+ ....

I would want clarification before taking such a comparative table of statistics at face value.

I've been in 3 car crashes (no one hurt) 2 other people driving. 1 me driving.

Zero plane crashes. None me piloting.

Stats I can trust.

I've been in 3 car crashes (no one hurt) 2 other people driving. 1 me driving.

Zero plane crashes. None me piloting.

Stats I can trust.
I have been in 3 car crashes, 2 my fault, 1 my mum's fault.

I have been in no plane crashes, me piloting or otherwise.

I have also been in an "on foot" accident, when I walked into the side of a building whilst very drunk. Probably my fault.

I do not consider any of these incidents to be statistically significant.

I clap the pilot for a good landing. I also clap barstaff for pouring a good pint, my dentist for a clean and polish, and the guys from Big John's for a particularly fine mixed kebab in naan bread, chili sauce no salad. All told, not sure I'm the best barometer for when impromptu applause is appropriate.

I clap the pilot for a good landing. I also clap barstaff for pouring a good pint, my dentist for a clean and polish, and the guys from Big John's for a particularly fine mixed kebab in naan bread, chili sauce no salad. All told, not sure I'm the best barometer for when impromptu applause is appropriate.
I fear that, were I in your presence, I would find myself frowning disapprovingly rather too often.

I'M TAKING CONTROL OF THIS THREAD.

This is now the official plane spotters threads.

Check out this landing
luxhello.gif

Yeah, well, but how silly of him to go flying in a plane with no wheels. What must he have been thinking of? :)
Don't be daft, of course the plane has got wheels :rolleyes::facepalm:

The co-pilot should've remembered to give the pilot a prod at the correct moment for deploying the wheels. Obviously.

If you avoid just three average-length car journeys (by, for instance, chucking a sickie at work, or perhaps forgetting to pick the kids up when it was your turn), you've saved up enough death-danger-avoidance to take a flight in all good conscience. :cool:

The last flight I took, we landed and the captain did his chat, thanks for flying with us etc and then there was a moments silence, and some bloke up the back of the plane hollered "and thank you Kevin for doing such a stirling job as head of the cabin crew this evening". Nobody else clapped or said anything. It was fucking funny.

Back
Top Bottom