Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Friendliest People?

I don’t think big city does equal unfriendly, just more faceless. As I say, get past that and people will open up. And I’ve seen people walking past unconscious bodies in pretty much every country I’ve been to. What’s the difference between doing that and stepping over one?

Indeed. China doesn't exactly have a reputation for being friendly... and my first few weeks there (Nanjing) I just found it rude. Even as a Londoner. But... I was wrong. Just different attitude... Once I'd started chatting to people in shops, getting to know how stuff works, yeah, people were pretty friendly. And generally in an honest way I think. Which contrasts with my admittedly limited experience of Japan, which is very polite, but only on a surface level. I mean I'm sure that if you live there you'd find plenty of friendly people, just that what we see as friendliness often isn't.

Also seen people walking over/past unconscious people practically everywhere.

I think this idea that Northeners are all across the board friendly is a bit fallicious, especially if youre a couple of blokes grom out of town, not dressed like anyone else, with different and recognisable accents and trying to sink a pint or two in a pub in Chorley the morning of an England WC game.

Indeed. China doesn't exactly have a reputation for being friendly... and my first few weeks there (Nanjing) I just found it rude. Even as a Londoner. But... I was wrong. Just different attitude... Once I'd started chatting to people in shops, getting to know how stuff works, yeah, people were pretty friendly. And generally in an honest way I think. Which contrasts with my admittedly limited experience of Japan, which is very polite, but only on a surface level. I mean I'm sure that if you live there you'd find plenty of friendly people, just that what we see as friendliness often isn't.

Also seen people walking over/past unconscious people practically everywhere.

Yeah they are friendly, but friendly people can still be rude.

I mean, a country that has to hand out guides informing its holiday going citizens on how to line up, not to spit and so on.

Don't know if serious. Met some nice Peruvians. Met some who demanded a payment or they'd stone our bus. Though they were kinda nice about it. We paid.

Only truism I'll give about S Americans is Spanish gets spoken faster the more South you go until you get to Chile where nobody else can understand a word they say unless they slow down a bit. They clip so many letters out.

Not actually been so... I yield

I don’t think big city does equal unfriendly, just more faceless. As I say, get past that and people will open up. And I’ve seen people walking past unconscious bodies in pretty much every country I’ve been to. What’s the difference between doing that and stepping over one?

It's an interesting question. Maybe it's the difference between active decision to ignore someone and a passive one. It doesn't seem the same thing to me.

I think this idea that Northeners are all across the board friendly is a bit fallicious, especially if youre a couple of blokes grom out of town, not dressed like anyone else, with different and recognisable accents and trying to sink a pint or two in a pub in Chorley the morning of an England WC game.
:D

Yes, I think it's a bit of a myth.

I'm originally from the north, have lived in London for years now and have always found it pretty friendly.

Abroad, I found Palestinians noticeably friendly and hospitable, although it was 1996 when I went there.

But as others have said there is a lot of personal perception, experience and stereotyping in this whole idea of people being friendly or not.

Back
Top Bottom