Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So, where you gonna go when this is all over ?

Still hopeful that my already-postponed-twice trip to The Isles of Scilly might happen in May.

I'd imagine that travel restrictions might be relaxed a bit by then. I still won't be doing it if I don't think it's safe though.
This is now rebooked for July. I'm optimistic it should be alright but happy to sack it all off if things look dicey again. We've got 5 nights in a B&B on St Mary's then a couple of nights on Bryher in a proper swanky place.

Prior to that, we've got couple of nights booked in a shepherds hut on Dartmoor during that period where self-catering places are allowed to be open. End of April.

Much more longer term plan is to go back to Nepal and go trekking. We're thinking Everest Base Camp. This'll be a year or two away though, at least, I'd imagine. Nice to have something to look forward to though.

Gonna try for my usual September Ibiza trip. But if Ibiza can't be experienced in the way I like to do it, maybe a return visit to Malaga (and possibly on to Granada) or the Dam. Just back to an easy place that I know makes me happy. :cool:

I have a brief trip with some fam to Fort William already booked for July.

Does anyone feel bad about going on aeroplanes cos of global warming? I’ve not had much opportunity in my life but probably will from now on but think I’m gonna feel guilty.

I've cut down on flying because of this and reduced flying holidays from 3 a year to 2 a year. Yes, I know that's still immensely privileged, but I have many friends/family/colleagues who do a lot more and really don't care. :facepalm: I also only really do short haul European flights. Much as I have friends/family trying to tempt me to further away places, I don't like the idea of being stuck on a plane for too long.

I've cut down on flying because of this and reduced flying holidays from 3 a year to 2 a year. Yes, I know that's still immensely privileged, but I have many friends/family/colleagues who do a lot more and really don't care. :facepalm: I also only really do short haul European flights. Much as I have friends/family trying to tempt me to further away places, I don't like the idea of being stuck on a plane for too long.
Wow. I’ve been on less than ten flights in my life so maybe I’ll stop feeling bad.

Wow. I’ve been on less than ten flights in my life so maybe I’ll stop feeling bad.
The last time I was on a plane was flying back from Namibia in I think 2005. I worked for BA Holidays as a nipper & flew almost every other weekend. I have been to Majorca 5 times but never spent the whole night there.
I would be happy to only travel by train in the future. Times are of a changing.

You shouldn't. As my colleague who goes on holiday at least a dozen times a year says, the plane is going to take off anyway. :facepalm: :hmm: The fact that you actually give it some consideration, tells me you have a responsible attitude. :cool:

I flew 40 times in 2016, but have only taken 10 flights since then and likely none now until 2023 so it’s averaging out ok.

I do miss my lounge access when I fly though
I used to love flying it was just a posh version of getting on the tube but had a break from it & then ten hour flight to Southern Africa changed my mind. Happy to never get on a plane again.

Don't really understand why it was so normal but then in my head made me shit my pants. In the olden days being a worker for BA we used to all have double breakfasts on the way out so we didn't need to splash out on lunch. Sorry I am rambling.

I used to love flying it was just a posh version of getting on the tube but had a break from it & then ten hour flight to Southern Africa changed my mind. Happy to never get on a plane again.

Don't really understand why it was so normal but then in my head made me shit my pants.

Same thing happened to a Portuguese friend of mine. She used to fly all over, Brazil regularly because her dad lived there, then one day wham! couldn't do it anymore.

Surprised it hasn't happened to me after 3 hours of hell (you either prayed or vomited) from Philippines to KL. A week after the carrier I was on had lost their first plane about 150 miles from where we were. But it hasn't. I really miss it.

Yeah on that amount I'd say don't feel bad at all.

As it happens I do feel pretty bad about my own situation but I'll typically fly 15 - 20 times a year*. That is bad and no matter how good I am in other areas its still not great. I've found a happy place with it though by convincing myself I offset it elsewhere. 🤔

*Thinking about it I even squeezed 8 in last years before lockdown hit. :facepalm: I don't even like flying.

I had a job ~30 years ago, where I had to fly every week or so. Towards the end of it, I'd be in bits on the way to the airport. I became terrified.

Later got over it, though I've since been on two death-defying flights. (One plane fell, really plummeted, out of the sky, for a really long time, recovered, did it again, lots of screaming and crying by all, pilot said soz, can't get the plane down to land at our scheduled stop, we'll have to go on to the next one; one plane, the engine caught fire shortly after take off, pilot was able to turn round and come back, didn't fully understand what had happened till I saw it in the papers.)

Flew 14 times in 2016-7 for work, but haven't been on a plane since.

pilot said soz, can't get the plane down to land at our scheduled stop, we'll have to go on to the next one
Had a similar one to that flying Goa-Delhi. Lightning storm happening right under us. You know how pilots are meant to have that soothing tone? Not this bloke.

"THECONDITIONSAREREALLYRATHERBAD!!!WEWILLHAVETOLANDINJAIPUR!!!"

Cue 'Airplane: The Movie' style scenes of panic. Ten minutes go by, storm still looks insane to my untrained eye. I'm glad we're going to Jaipur even if it's probably going to mean a night kipping on an airport floor.

"Conditions have improved. We are now descending to Delhi." AARGH. :eek:

Had a similar one to that flying Goa-Delhi. Lightning storm happening right under us. You know how pilots are meant to have that soothing tone? Not this bloke.

"THECONDITIONSAREREALLYRATHERBAD!!!WEWILLHAVETOLANDINJAIPUR!!!"

Cue 'Airplane: The Movie' style scenes of panic. Ten minutes go by, storm still looks insane to my untrained eye. I'm glad we're going to Jaipur even if it's probably going to mean a night kipping on an airport floor.

"Conditions have improved. We are now descending to Delhi." AARGH. :eek:
Our pilot sounded calm, but did add the informative, yet extremely unhelpful "can't try again, or we'll run out of fuel." :D

This is the plane I was on that caught fire. I was on it before, during and after this picture was taken :eek:
planefire.jpg

Fortunately I couldn't see the fire at the time! :eek::eek::eek:

Yep. A valium and 3 Kingfisher Strongs were the first thing I did as soon as I was back on terra firma in Delhi.
Thinking about it, I've only done 3 (or 5?) flights since the fiery one, none of which with valium. That was more after the plane won't land incident. But it really, really helped.

Thinking about it, I've only done 3 (or 5?) flights since the fiery one, none of which with valium. That was more after the plane won't land incident. But it really, really helped.

Absolutely. Should be given on demand at airports.

Back
Top Bottom