Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where would you take your family if you had £5k (ish) to spend?

Sicily is beautiful.

Magnificent coastal towns, cheaper than the rest of Italy, mouthwatering food, great beaches, baroque/Greek/Roman architecture and friendly people.

Car hire or coach is the best way to get around.

Be aware; trains not so great, Taormina is gorgeous but probably the most expensive place, Palermo is fascinating for a day trip but a bit grubby.

I'm definitely torn between a really nice AI in Europe vs a more adventurous/budget trip to Asia.
Or possibly a few nights in the US. But the tipping situation puts me off!
US horrifically expensive for food right now.

Sicily is beautiful.

Magnificent coastal towns, cheaper than the rest of Italy, mouthwatering food, great beaches, baroque/Greek/Roman architecture and friendly people.

Car hire or coach is the best way to get around.

Be aware; trains not so great, Taormina is gorgeous but probably the most expensive place, Palermo is fascinating for a day trip but a bit grubby.
I love Sicily but in the school summer holidays, it'll be really, really hot. (FWIW, I've been three times and used trains/buses each time and found them very good.)

Korea, Taiwan or Japan

Probably any two of those, week in each one maybe
Current temperatures in Japan are in the 30s. July and August are mega hot and humid.

On the upside, the exchange rate favours British travellers, but who knows what it will be like in a year's time. Food and accommodation is cheap, especially if you stay outside the big cities.

How about Ireland, specifically Kerry and West Cork? Or Donegal?

We had an amazing holiday in Turkey in Oludeniz. Not sure on the prices now as it was a few years ago but the kids clubs were amazing.

I'm thinking either:
AI in Greece (my 14 year old's immediate choice)
Thailand
A cruise from Southampton (Disney?)

I'm thinking either:
Thailand
I went on a cruise with my granny when I was ten. It remains my favourite holiday ever and not just cause my parents weren't there.

Current temperatures in Japan are in the 30s. July and August are mega hot and humid.

On the upside, the exchange rate favours British travellers, but who knows what it will be like in a year's time. Food and accommodation is cheap, especially if you stay outside the big cities.

How about Ireland, specifically Kerry and West Cork? Or Donegal?

Yeahs its fucking brutal in summer, we were in Japan for 3 weeks last September and it was still in the 30's most days.

Ireland is a good alternative, we've spent a week in Cork before. Really needs a car though (I don't drive, the wife can but rarely does as we don't own one)

I see all these beautiful sights to see, but all I hear is the screaming of my (then only) child as we tried to take in the sombre atmosphere of Berlin's Stasi Museum, multiplied by three 😱🫣

100%. I'm speaking as as someone who thought my children would like to visit the United Nations. I was wrong

The one cultural activity the children did enjoy was CERN. It was a fairly brief tour and had a presentation including levitating magnets and making hot chocolate though the power of particle physics iirc

CERN doesn't have an all inclusive hotel attached so maybe is not right for now

I'm thinking either:
Thailand

It does all depend on what time of year you go. Dec/Jan is peak season in SE Asia. I think it might be the wet season right now up till about October.

I've ended up booking the holiday my kids want and Mr Thora and I will visit New York or Thailand or go on a cruise without them once they have all left home :hmm:

All inclusive in Tenerife with unlimited passes to a waterpark :thumbs:

Bloody hell, all in with transfers and luggage and booking plane seats and meals etc it has come to £6k :eek: :eek: :eek: How do people afford to go on holidays like this every year??

You book far enough ahead, and £5k is enough for flights/accommodation for 5, all inclusive in the Canaries. Literally the only money you have to spend is getting to/from the UK airport.

There are more interesting places to visit, but taking the whole family along it's hard to think of better than all-inclusive in the Canaries. The weather is nice yesr round.

I've ended up booking the holiday my kids want and Mr Thora and I will visit New York or Thailand or go on a cruise without them once they have all left home :hmm:

All inclusive in Tenerife with unlimited passes to a waterpark :thumbs:

Bloody hell, all in with transfers and luggage and booking plane seats and meals etc it has come to £6k :eek: :eek: :eek: How do people afford to go on holidays like this every year??
Yeah but wine on tap.

And Siam Park is great. I mean, I didn't go on any of the red rides after the first one but my son loved it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom