Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Eurostar only, where to go?

Your probably right about the passport checks but it's also to do with their financing during the pandemic. Here's the former boss outlining it to the transport select ctte. His 3rd point is that they don't know what's going in the future presumably so they can't plan too far ahead. Demand is soaring though ?

They were whining for a handout before the pandemic too. A lot of the challenges are of their own making. Always full when I used them. I cant remember who owns them but its sncf and db I think and theyre def being run to aggressively turn a profit, they are in crisis because they keep failing to do that. Youd imagine having a monopoly and high prices and a load of government cash was a license to print money but no. Just another entitled whiny privatised "public transport" company.

The not using Ebbsfleet and Ashford, blaming it on Brexit too, whilst at the same time stating that they are concentrating on the more profitable core business of city centre to city centre. No Disney, no south of France, just London-Paris/Brussels-Amsterdam, all to be sold for top dollar.

For the past few years it has not been passible to buy anything other than the highest fare when close to departure. Here's tomorrow morning's availability London to Paris:

AAA.JPG

The letters represent booking classes, the number next to the letter is how many seats are offered in each on, to a maximum of 9:

J is business premier, Z I G S & T standard premier, Y and the letters are it are standard class. They go in price descending order, so Y the most expensive standard class, Z the most expensing standard premier, there is only one business premier fare. Note how on Z and Y class show. This is the same on all trains on Friday too, the hold it back to squeeze the maximum revenue out of each passenger, this is the stated aim.

They've got serious problems.

83% of their 1,300 reviews on TrustPilot are one star! And it's clear from the comments that anything to do with refunds/vouchers or customer services is a complete nightmare in recent months.

Reviews1.4​

1,330 total

5-star

6%

4-star

3%

3-star

3%

2-star

5%

1-star

83%

Not denying that, but Paris is hardly lacking in art galleries. It's not that I don't understand people liking Amsterdam, but I really don't get the level of enthusiasm some people on here have for it.
It's just a really bonny city, and the centre is small. Superb public transport as well.

I'm planning on a few days later in the year, but I'll hire a scooter to get around. 50cc type, not electric deathtrap. Surprisingly cheap.

We still haven’t decided and keep changing our minds. Then someone suggested Marseilles.
Good job we started looking early isn’t it! 😄

We still haven’t decided and keep changing our minds. Then someone suggested Marseilles.
Good job we started looking early isn’t it! 😄
I really like Marseilles. There's lots to do and it's a happening place. Again though, it's change in Paris and then another 3.5 hours on the train so depends if you're up for the extra travel really. (It'll also be pretty hot at that time of year.)

I really like Marseilles. There's lots to do and it's a happening place. Again though, it's change in Paris and then another 3.5 hours on the train so depends if you're up for the extra travel really. (It'll also be pretty hot at that time of year.)

Friend of mine lives here and he loves it. I've not been but Mlle./Mini Fire have and they loved it.

No phone signal apparently!

Reactions: Sue
The not using Ebbsfleet and Ashford, blaming it on Brexit too, whilst at the same time stating that they are concentrating on the more profitable core business of city centre to city centre. No Disney, no south of France, just London-Paris/Brussels-Amsterdam, all to be sold for top dollar.

For the past few years it has not been passible to buy anything other than the highest fare when close to departure. Here's tomorrow morning's availability London to Paris:

View attachment 360759

The letters represent booking classes, the number next to the letter is how many seats are offered in each on, to a maximum of 9:

J is business premier, Z I G S & T standard premier, Y and the letters are it are standard class. They go in price descending order, so Y the most expensive standard class, Z the most expensing standard premier, there is only one business premier fare. Note how on Z and Y class show. This is the same on all trains on Friday too, the hold it back to squeeze the maximum revenue out of each passenger, this is the stated aim.

If you are going to Amsterdam, is it direct, or do you have to change at Brussels?

Friend of mine lives here and he loves it. I've not been but Mlle./Mini Fire have and they loved it.

No phone signal apparently!

I went to the Ile d'If. :thumbs:

We are planning to do the chateau lif / frioul islands as an excursion when we go to Marseille in September for the World Cup :)

A cultural concession between matches

Marseilles is ace, another vote for me. And if you in the warmer months you can add an afternoon at the local beach to your city break plans :cool:

Direct, it stops at Lille, Brussels and Rotterdam but you don't get off.
I did this trip last month. Great way to travel :) When you get to Centraal, go outside and turn left a bit. There's a white building over the road beyond the tram stops where you can get a multi-day tourist travelcard that does all the trams buses and metro.

EDIT: don't forget it's touch on and and touch off on the trams/buses

On the return journey, the passport/customs facilities are right at the end of the platform in a too-small building. Only two security lanes, so you should allow a little more time than you do at St.P in case one of them has issues.

Last edited:
I did this trip last month. Great way to travel :) When you get to Centraal, go outside and turn left a bit. There's a white building over the road beyond the tram stops where you can get a multi-day tourist travelcard that does all the trams buses and metro.

On the return journey, the passport/customs facilities are right at the end of the platform in a too-small building. Only two security lanes, so you should allow a little more time than you do at St.P in case one of them has issues.
Do you still have to get off the train on the return journey half way to clear Customs, or has that been sorted out now?

Back
Top Bottom