Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So, where you gonna go when this is all over ?

Stats, if it’s happened once, it’s less likely to happen again. (This may not be logical, but that’s how I’d approach it. Always felt more confident on the streets after getting mugged cos I considered that that was my allotted share of beatings in a lifetime)
Fry & Laurie had a joke (think it was them) about always taking your own bomb when you fly, as it's statistically unlikely that there will be two :thumbs:

I will worry if I don't say: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DO THE ABOVE.

Absolutely. Should be given on demand at airports.
Yes! Although. I did once burble away to a cabin crew member about how scared I was and that I'd had a vallie and could I have a humungous quantity of wine, please :facepalm:

They, quite sensibly, said no. I then burst into terrified tears.

They moved me to business class, probably to stop me scaring the other passengers :oops: I slept through the flight.

(((cabin crew)))

Because, whilst it's a remote possibility, that doesn't usually happen. And, even when it did happen, it was possible to land safely. And alcohol. Sometimes valium. And trains, whenever possible.

Always have to drink before and on a flight (if flight home from Ibiza, also a wee xanax type thing for obvious reasons). It's not so much a fear of flying/crashing, as not liking being squashed in with people, feeling trapped, etc. So a 3 hour flight to Spain is do-able, but wouldn't fancy anything much longer. Thankfully, there are loads of places in Europe I still want to go to or return to.

Stats, if it’s happened once, it’s less likely to happen again. (This may not be logical, but that’s how I’d approach it. Always felt more confident on the streets after getting mugged cos I considered that that was my allotted share of beatings in a lifetime)

Not if they're totally independent events, surely?

Not if they're totally independent events, surely?
Not sure I follow you, but I did say it wasn’t strictly logical/rational.
I read once that statistically every young man would get soundly beaten at once in their life. So I’m glad I got my leathering out of the way when I was 18

Scotland for a week in July booked now. Maybe London or Bristol for a short trip before then. Nothing abroad this year, maybe early next...

My wife and I have been discussing where we want to go, so apart from Monaghan and Montreal to see family, we're thinking either Albania again or Algeria I've wanted to see Algiers (for the history) and Constantine (for the sheer beauty) for a long time. It’s meant to be pretty safe. Anyone been there?

Last edited:
Reactions: LDC
My wife and I have been discussing where we want to go, so apart from Monaghan and Montreal to see family, we're thinking either Albania again or Algeria I've wanted to see Algiers (for the history) and Constantine (for the sheer beauty) for a long time. It’s meant to be pretty safe. Anyone been there?

Not been to either, but Albania is likely to be open this year, Algiers no so much, if that's any help to you.

have very provisionally got a bus related event to put on in somerset in may, but not at all convinced it's going to happen.

it's been postponed to september (subject to the usual caveats)

the event i usually do at easter has of course also been cancelled

meh

Look like a friends place in Mayo/ louisburg might be up for grabs. We can take the hound if we drive. A big road trip would include Belfast to educate the kids

I went for a post Xmas walk around Biggin Hill and was struck by the no. of small jets flying in, unlike Heathrow. We wondered if they were all coming from the recently closed Verbier ski resort or similar. Shows how the other half live.

My best mate lives under the final approach to Farnborough, not stayed over since Covid, but pre days on a Sunday morning there’s a landing every two to three minutes. Shocking how many people can afford to travel in such a way, half the flights will be empty but their emissions must be added to others who fly in these things.

On the last flight I took, to Barcelona Christmas 2019, I was amazed at the sheer number of private jets parked up. It made me think 'why have I not noticed this before?'. Has there been a noticeable increase in these things over the last few years?

Anyway, I'll be travelling in my private jet car to mid-Wales/Shropshire border on Monday and I ridiculously can't wait to go on holiday in my own country.

And in future plans - anyone know what Durban is like? Out of nowhere, product of an old reunion (online), we've been offered a seaside flat there for nothing whenever we want it. Comes with a boat apparently. I've never driven a boat. Can't be that difficult right?

So yeah, 2028 South Africa it is.

On the last flight I took, to Barcelona Christmas 2019, I was amazed at the sheer number of private jets parked up. It made me think 'why have I not noticed this before?'. Has there been a noticeable increase in these things over the last few years?

Yes, massively. A small jet that can seat 5 passengers in cramped conditions will cost around £10k each way to Barcelona and back from London, so four grand a head if you fill it, vs ~£600 each in business class on BA. So a lot more and not that comfortable, but...the plane goes when you want it to not when the airlines want it to, it will not be delayed or cancelled, you arrive at Farnborough or Luton etc. 20 minutes before take off, there is no security which has become a major ballache in recent years , no endless terminals to traipse through, when you land no queuing for immigration or waiting on baggage, you'll normally be in a car heading out of the airport about 10 minutes after landing. And there are more and more people who have the money to afford this and see those benefits as worth the expense.

And in future plans - anyone know what Durban is like? Out of nowhere, product of an old reunion (online), we've been offered a seaside flat there for nothing whenever we want it. Comes with a boat apparently. I've never driven a boat. Can't be that difficult right?

So yeah, 2028 South Africa it is.

Durban is lovely, pre-Covid BA had direct flights, even if they don't resume there will be loads of connections via Johannesburg once flying starts up again. Don't leave it until 2028, make it 2022!

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking I can probably, with the right Covid trajectory, travel to Wales from England and stay in a hotel, rather than holiday let, apartment or whatever, after 12 April?

It's the hotel bit that's key. From what I've read Wales will allow stays with distancing, hygiene etc. in place whereas England will not just yet. Internet searches don't seem to suggest anything definitive.

Am I right in thinking I can probably, with the right Covid trajectory, travel to Wales from England and stay in a hotel, rather than holiday let, apartment or whatever, after 12 April?

It's the hotel bit that's key. From what I've read Wales will allow stays with distancing, hygiene etc. in place whereas England will not just yet. Internet searches don't seem to suggest anything definitive.

It's a good question. It doesn't appear to be against the rule in Wales but there have been times where you are supposed to abide by the rules of the area you live in not where you are travelling to but that was mainly a part of the tier system.

Its probably best to check with the place you want to stay in to see what they think.

You can certainly travel. But don't rely on hotels being hotels. My understanding is it's a very limited opening of hotels that have self-catering facilities. Normal indoor things like dining I don't think are coming until the end of May.

We have booked a camping trip for a day or so for the 26th so that'll be fun.

(We've never camped properly before, though I have in my back garden... twenty five years ago)

Meh, well seashore cottage in mayo is out as the place has been booked up by brits for the rest of the year at high high prices

Lewis and Mull for wild camping, fishing and 24 hour drinking under the clear skies at the end of june now in the calendar.. the family are not invited.

Hong Kong..... I'm not desperate to go but my partner has family there we really need to go and see.

I have a really weird desire to go to Tblisi too, which my partner has no interest in going to, so I might see if I can pick up a cheap few days there. Big big trip wise I really want to do some of the silk road.

Also we want to start taking the camper van away more, we've been eyeing up places we can get to on the ferry, and doing the NC 500 in scotland.

Back
Top Bottom