Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peckham Town FC - news and discussion

I turned up bang on 245 to see it was off. My fault as I’d not been looking at Twitter. But there was standing water in the top corner by the entrance so fair enough it couldn’t have gone ahead.

The club website lists the Minster match as taking place on Tuesday 14th at Dartford, ko 8.15. Might be able to make that.

Presume that'll be on the community pitch and it's to save the opponents/officials travel grief?

The club website lists the Minster match as taking place on Tuesday 14th at Dartford, ko 8.15. Might be able to make that.

Presume that'll be on the community pitch and it's to save the opponents/officials travel grief?

I can't really blame the league for wanting the league finished. However, absolutely no reason this couldn't go ahead at home on Saturday 18 May, given there are no promotion issues at hand to step 6.

Instead, we were asked to find a ground to play under lights on Tuesday, as Minster will not be able to travel in time for an 18.30 at the Menace. We went to great lengths to do so. We had option of Fisher with a later KO and Hamlet linked us to Cray Wanderers' new ground. However the league then said that is too far to go. They then unilaterally have booked this venue.

So instead we have to play this "home" match in Dartford at 8.15pm, which also means our manager can't attend due to childcare commitments that late into the evening.

They can stick this match to be honest. And that's nothing to do with being away with work! 😂

I can't really blame the league for wanting the league finished. However, absolutely no reason this couldn't go ahead at home on Saturday 18 May, given there are no promotion issues at hand to step 6.

Instead, we were asked to find a ground to play under lights on Tuesday, as Minster will not be able to travel in time for an 18.30 at the Menace. We went to great lengths to do so. We had option of Fisher with a later KO and Hamlet linked us to Cray Wanderers' new ground. However the league then said that is too far to go. They then unilaterally have booked this venue.

So instead we have to play this "home" match in Dartford at 8.15pm, which also means our manager can't attend due to childcare commitments that late into the evening.
Isn't that something of a contradiction, given that every other club in the division has already finished all their home fixtures, yet Peckham still have 2 outstanding? I'm surprised the league is willing to go beyond this weekend and didn't either (a) insist it was played on Wednesday/Thursday this week, or (b) just cancel it altogether.

I'm assuming Minster made a wasted journey on Monday, and I'm sure Peckham wouldn't be too happy if the boot was on the other foot and they were now faced with a second trip of that length for an evening game.

Having said that, a later kick-off at Fisher or Cray on a 3G pitch should have been an acceptable solution. Is the league covering the cost of hiring Dartford, seeing as they imposed that outcome?

What would happen if we didn’t fulfill it and took the players to the pub instead? A combined End of Season and Fuck the Kent League party….

Last edited:
Isn't that something of a contradiction, given that every other club in the division has already finished all their home fixtures, yet Peckham still have 2 outstanding? I'm surprised the league is willing to go beyond this weekend and didn't either (a) insist it was played on Wednesday/Thursday this week, or (b) just cancel it altogether.

I'm assuming Minster made a wasted journey on Monday, and I'm sure Peckham wouldn't be too happy if the boot was on the other foot and they were now faced with a second trip of that length for an evening game.

Having said that, a later kick-off at Fisher or Cray on a 3G pitch should have been an acceptable solution. Is the league covering the cost of hiring Dartford, seeing as they imposed that outcome?

I was perhaps being charitable to say I understood the league's position. I don't really.

I could understand it if there was something riding on it, but there isn't. So what if everyone else has finished and it's only by a few days? Most teams don't play on London clay next to drainage from Sydenham Hill and the South Circular! Other Step 7 leagues are going to end of the month.

We offered two solutions (Fisher on 14th with later KO or Menace on 18th). Instead the league rejected them and have insisted on a time and venue that's not possible for our manager.

A final match on 18 May would have much better for 200+ supporters too.

I was perhaps being charitable to say I understood the league's position. I don't really.

I could understand it if there was something riding on it, but there isn't. So what if everyone else has finished and it's only by a few days? Most teams don't play on London clay next to drainage from Sydenham Hill and the South Circular! Other Step 7 leagues are going to end of the month.

We offered two solutions (Fisher on 14th with later KO or Menace on 18th). Instead the league rejected them and have insisted on a time and venue that's not possible for our manager.

A final match on 18 May would have much better for 200+ supporters too.

I've noticed there's an outstanding fixture scheduled for Saturday 18th in Division 2 West of the Kent County League, Bromleians v Orpington, also postponed from last Monday. I'd be interested to know why that one doesn't have to be played in midweek, given how local the two teams are, or indeed why Peckham v Minster can't be played on the same day.

I've noticed there's an outstanding fixture scheduled for Saturday 18th in Division 2 West of the Kent County League, Bromleians v Orpington, also postponed from last Monday. I'd be interested to know why that one doesn't have to be played in midweek, given how local the two teams are, or indeed why Peckham v Minster can't be played on the same day.
What makes it particularly galling is that had the game been played next Saturday there's a very good chance it would have been watched by a record breaking crowd, providing valuable revenue for the club.

Instead its a nothing, pointless Tuesday night game, a three hour round trip away where even the manager can't make it.

It’s almost like the League don’t like Peckham for some reason.

Pics from Saturday:

In photos: Record breaking crowd watches Peckham Town's last home game of the season, Sat 11th May 2024

In photos: Record breaking crowd watches Peckham Town's last home game of the season, Sat 11th May 2024

More here: In photos: Record breaking crowd watches Peckham Town’s last home game of the season, Sat 11th May 2024

Does anyone know want teams are likely to be joining our league next season?

Does anyone know want teams are likely to be joining our league next season?

Looking at the tables in this link (and using the drop down menu to view the lower divisions) it looks like the promoted teams will be Deal Town Reserves, Snodland Town Reserves, Sporting Club Thamesmead Reserves and Metrogas. There are restrictions on how far up the pyramid reserve teams are allowed to play, relative to the level of their first team, but I don't know whether that affects any of these teams.

Meridian, Forest Hill Park and Greenways are all at risk of relegation from the Southern Counties East Premier Division above. I think FA rule is that the bottom club (in this case Greenways) must be relegated, but the others may get a reprieve if there are insufficient candidates to replace them. I assume Halls will be promoted to the SCEFL.

Metrogas used to be based on the Old Kent Road and were once rapidly becoming real rivals to Hamlet, the were known for having a large and lively following. Their ground was one of the best amateur grounds in South London.

It went horribly wrong when they were busted for shamateurism, in 1922 from memory. Pretty much the entire squad, and numerous officials, were banned. They renamed themselves Livsey for one season, after the bloke who founded the company they represented. After a season they reverted to being Metrogas, but have never returned to the level of football they once enjoyed.

Looking at the tables in this link (and using the drop down menu to view the lower divisions) it looks like the promoted teams will be Deal Town Reserves, Snodland Town Reserves, Sporting Club Thamesmead Reserves and Metrogas. There are restrictions on how far up the pyramid reserve teams are allowed to play, relative to the level of their first team, but I don't know whether that affects any of these teams.

Meridian, Forest Hill Park and Greenways are all at risk of relegation from the Southern Counties East Premier Division above. I think FA rule is that the bottom club (in this case Greenways) must be relegated, but the others may get a reprieve if there are insufficient candidates to replace them. I assume Halls will be promoted to the SCEFL.

Thanks for the info.

I really don't like playing reserve teams.

Metrogas used to be based on the Old Kent Road and were once rapidly becoming real rivals to Hamlet, the were known for having a large and lively following. Their ground was one of the best amateur grounds in South London.

It went horribly wrong when they were busted for shamateurism, in 1922 from memory. Pretty much the entire squad, and numerous officials, were banned. They renamed themselves Livsey for one season, after the bloke who founded the company they represented. After a season they reverted to being Metrogas, but have never returned to the level of football they once enjoyed.

Later on they were in Greenwich, on the site that's now occupied by Ikea, the cinema and a sorting office - my dad used to work for British Gas and that was their social club and sports ground. They moved to Avery Hill at the end of the 1980s after British Gas was privatised and started planning to redevelop the peninsula - all that was overtaken a few years later by the Millennium Exhibition - and the link with the gas industry was later severed, I think.

Here is a photograph where you can just see the football pitch along with someone who feels very old now.

Attachments

• metrogas_1984_2_1600.jpg
    metrogas_1984_2_1600.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 8
Well that was a catastrophic end to the season with Peckham getting totally tonked 0-6. Ouch!

I note match was ended after 89 minutes as the floodlights went off. Can't make it up! So the league made us start at 20.15 and didn't think about added time and that the lights probably had an auto shut off at 22.00.

That pretty much sums up a clusterfuck of a decision to deny the Menace a final home game at home.

The result doesn't surprise me as Minster beats champions Halls in the cup on Saturday and have been rejuvenated of late. Whereas Peckham have been abysmal with silly mistakes at the back and a complete inability to take advantage of possession and create much of note in recent matches.

The squad needs more than just tinkering with. Let's see what the trials bring, but I won't hold my breath.

I note match was ended after 89 minutes as the floodlights went off. Can't make it up! So the league made us start at 20.15 and didn't think about added time and that the lights probably had an auto shut off at 22.00.

That pretty much sums up a clusterfuck of a decision to deny the Menace a final home game at home.

The result doesn't surprise me as Minster beats champions Halls in the cup on Saturday and have been rejuvenated of late. Whereas Peckham have been abysmal with silly mistakes at the back and a complete inability to take advantage of possession and create much of note in recent matches.

The squad needs more than just tinkering with. Let's see what the trials bring, but I won't hold my breath.
It took ages for the game to get started because there were goals still set up all over the pitch being used by other people. This is how it looked two minutes before kick off.

1715733878930.png

It was an awful game with some dubious decisions by the officials. This should have been a penalty (not that we were likely to emerge 7-6 winners, but it added to the miserableness of the evening) .

1715733694175.png

We’d have been relegated without Kieran this season.

Keeper is 40.

If all fit, I think a defensive options of Agyemang, Carrick, Duah Danso, Fareid, Omar, Ben, Elton are good enough.

Michael Agyemang is a boss play-making DM. Kemp and Joe are solid 6/8s.

Nieva and Rash can be a threat but frankly I worry when both start. Can’t keep relying on Nicky creatively.

Bah looks lively but he’s not the biggest.

Kieran is fantastic but maybe too much so.

So it’s the classic Man United summer shopping list of the last 15 years. Keeper, attacking CM, lots of pace wide and a proven striker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom