Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peckham Town FC - news and discussion

That was lots of fun.
I mean it wasn’t because it was meaningfully tense for the first time in a while, but it ended up lots of fun.

100% record maintained. Joint top of the league after three games (exactly same record).

It's great to have genuine pace back in the team. It makes such a difference at this level. The bench and squad seem strong too. Quietly confident for the year ahead. Looking forward to visit to New Romney (in Sellindge) next Saturday as the two remaining 100% records are put on the online. Also looking forward to countryside walk, beach, fish & chips, micropub and a touch of the usual Kent aggro at the match when the Menace turn up.

peckham-2-1-minster-2024-39.jpg

A modest crowd of 135 braved the toupee-removing gusts of wind to watch a moderately entertaining goalless draw against Ramsgate 'play it from the back' Athletic.

Stay in third given results elsewhere. Two points off top.
I’m not sure we could be promoted even if we finished in one of the spots, Council seem to be dragging their feet on upgrades. So a nice run on the Bill Manklow Inter Regional Challenge Cup, starting next Saturday, would be very welcome.

With Hamlet's shitshow in the FA Cup we now have a blank Saturday on 14 Sept I think.

Could see a few fans heading to the Menace Arena to watch the game v Guru Nanak instead?
That club sure has an interesting history:

GNG (Guru Nanak Gurdwara) FC in Gravesend, Kent was founded in 1965 by a group of Punjabi students, and is named after the founder of the Sikh religion.

By the early-seventies, we were one of the first clubs to start running and hosting Asian tournaments and, by the mid-seventies, we began to attract non-Asian players. As a result, we have gone on to become entirely inclusive and welcome all players, regardless of ethnicity, race or creed.

Today, GNG FC is one of the best established clubs in the county, and is proudly multicultural. We have numerous youth teams and several senior sides, and are also one of the first clubs of Asian heritage to have a women's team.

We play our home games in the shadow of the Gurdwara (Sikh temple), the largest in Europe and also one of the largest outside India.

Cracking 4-0 win today. And games really don't get any bigger than a fixture in the Bill Manklow Inter Regional Challenge Cup, especially when they take place in a caged enclose to keep the perilously high levels of excitement contained.

peck.jpeg

Strange that the match was in the cages - but I guess that Bridon's first team or Meridian VP would have been at home at the same time.

It's nice little ground, but unfortunately they're often a bit wary of allowing people to take their drinks pitchside, so the Meridian balcony might actually have been your best spot.

(Glad to see a Menace contingent made it to the lovely British Oak too!)

Last edited:
Strange that the match was in the cages - but I guess that Bridon's first team or Meridian VP would have been at home at the same time.
Yeah they kicked off at 3 I think. Looking across I’m not sure that there weren’t more people watching our game, which made it even more frustrating we were on the crappy pitch!

That all figures, I think their crowds always hover around 30-50-odd. Bridon and Meridian are always going to suffer from being so close to The Valley - it's definitely within earshot. But I don't think either club have the volunteers on board with the time/skills to get people in from the local neighbourhood, as has happened at Peckham and Lewisham Borough. Not being able to drink there doesn't help.

Forget to mention in advance but the Menace Feminista kicked off our third season in the LWSFL. After narrowly missing out on promotion to Premier division last season we started with a strong performance against LFA Galaxy, drawing one all. Perhaps a trifle frustrating as we had the better of the opportunities, missed a penalty and were denied a winner by a late offside whistle from the referee after the opposition player running the line had not flagged. 😠 Two weeks time and we’re back in action against SheDees. Will provide details once we get them.

Report is up.
Next game week after next against Cuxton is potentially a season-defining one. They’re fourth. It’s the start of a run of aways. Similar record in that they don’t concede and also aren’t scoring that many.

Back
Top Bottom