Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pandemic personal consequences

Apparently, the need for boosters prove that vaccines don't work and we are just being trained in 'compliance'.
This one just cracks me up. Most of us work in full-on authoritarian workplace where we have to do what we're told or risk having no home or enough to eat. Our everyday behaviour is shaped by a thousand laws we barely think about because they're embedded in our thinking. You're already trained in compliance dickwads. This is not the place to make a stand.

This one just cracks me up. Most of us work in full-on authoritarian workplace where we have to do what we're told or risk having no home or enough to eat. Our everyday behaviour is shaped by a thousand laws we barely think about because they're embedded in our thinking. You're already trained in compliance dickwads. This is not the place to make a stand.
She's a self employed child minder. Not for much longer I reckon.

Well my company had said that people should probably head back to the office for at least a couple of days a week from January. They've now revised that to June if the Covid situation permits. (You can go in if you really want to at the moment but there's no obligation to do so.)

I've been working for this company since late August and haven't been into the office yet. Compare and contrast with my old company which was absolutely desperate to get people back in, even when the advice was still to wfh, and are now bribing people to be in at least four days a week.

Well my niece who is under 10 years old has now tested positive for COVID - she has no symptoms and will almost certainly be fine, but has possibly transmitted it to siblings, parents, 2 sets of grandparents, and it looks like I might have to cancel my visit with my parents next week as a result.

Turns out niece hadn't been in contact with any grandparents since late October (4 weeks ago) so all good on that score so I'll be able to meet up with them (her grandparents, my parents) tomorrow as planned as there has been no contact during the time she is likely to have been infected. (With 3 of the 4 of us meeting up being higher risk though we all do lateral flow tests before meeting).

Niece herself has remained symptom free and is due to return to school next week, rest of immediate family are still well and will be getting PCR tests to be sure they aren't harbouring anything before going back to work. Fingers crossed that they all remain well.

A case in my son's class, so they'd asked everyone to LFT every day for next week - thankfully son has chilled out about the test and got used to them so it's now significantly less traumatic. School has cut down on some indoor events that parents were invited too, though they'd some while back made the smart decision to do the Hanukkah Fair outdoors on Sunday.

I have gig tickets for December but looking at cases, deaths and the feckless, reactive cunt government am pretty sure I won't be going :hmm: can't see the SSE Wembley being masked up and distanced at a James / Happy Mondays gig.

Have a family meal thing the week after and don't want time off work.
Am ditching this now. Work (Covid related) is really full on and staff are getting colds etc 🙄

New variant + Family + Work + Health wins the day

I'm going to have to go into hospital for a test some point in the next few weeks and will have to therefore isolate for 3 days beforehand... which is annoying as it will almost certainly interrupt some plan or other - just hope they get a date to me ASAP. That said, anything right now could just as easily be disrupted by one kid or another having COVID.

I'm going to have to go into hospital for a test some point in the next few weeks and will have to therefore isolate for 3 days beforehand... which is annoying as it will almost certainly interrupt some plan or other - just hope they get a date to me ASAP. That said, anything right now could just as easily be disrupted by one kid or another having COVID.
I had to do this recently too and it worked out ok - I had a test Monday morning and then isolated til the procedure on Wednesday morning. Mr Thora could work from home so the only slight stress was finding somewhere for the kids to stay for three days so they could still go to school!

Oh it's not a problem logistically - but I have a concert with my choir, Christmas lunch mid week after that with colleagues and also taking oldest to Nutcracker a week later and I suspect one of those will fall into the 3 days! The colleague lunch is the one i least want to miss so my money's on that being nixed.

They were surprisingly flexible with mine and let me pick a test day to minimise disruption.

Same, I had my tests Friday and I'm due my minor op on Monday.

Very weird seeing the hospital after couple years well away from it. A different world to my local area.

They were surprisingly flexible with mine and let me pick a test day to minimise disruption.
Yeah, if it's something like missing my choir concert, I might want to move, but after that there aren't many slots that don't knock something out before Xmas.

My brother-in-law (see other threads) has made it onto the plane back from Malawi having spend ££££ on rebooking a ticket back sooner and now £2.5k on quarantine hotel and having cut short his trip to see his dying friend over there. :( To add insult to injury, in order to get quarantine hotel he had to agree to something saying he had 'chosen to travel to a Red List country'. I find it astonishing that they don't have an option to say that you were in a country that went on the red list after you'd travelled there - there was literally no public awareness of omicron at all on the day he left!

An unvaccinated Q has been discovered, the 18 year old son of Mrs Q's brother, we thought he had but it turns out we were misinformed (his 17 year old sister is booked). Mrs Q has phoned him to nag him and tells me that both her sisters have put an entry into their diaries to nag their recalcitrant nephew about it.

Yeah, if it's something like missing my choir concert, I might want to move, but after that there aren't many slots that don't knock something out before Xmas.

My brother-in-law (see other threads) has made it onto the plane back from Malawi having spend ££££ on rebooking a ticket back sooner and now £2.5k on quarantine hotel and having cut short his trip to see his dying friend over there. :( To add insult to injury, in order to get quarantine hotel he had to agree to something saying he had 'chosen to travel to a Red List country'. I find it astonishing that they don't have an option to say that you were in a country that went on the red list after you'd travelled there - there was literally no public awareness of omicron at all on the day he left!

That's terrible Cloo. It's the sudden changes that really show up the lack of competence.

Much smaller scale travel issues for me, but my meticulously planned early fake Xmas Day, followed by family holiday, was planned for us to arrive back the day before the kids go back to school. This latest change of rules, where you have to isolate until your PCR test results come back, means the will miss the first two days. If I could get my money back I would, but I doubt the insurance will pay out cancelling on this.

First world problem to be fair.

That's terrible Cloo. It's the sudden changes that really show up the lack of competence.

A very fast reaction to a rapidly changing situation involving a worrying new variant, doesn't show a lack of competence IMO.

It's shit for those caught up in it, but everyone knows there's a risk in travelling aboard during the pandemic, and things can change suddenly, it's a risk people take.

A very fast reaction to a rapidly changing situation involving a worrying new variant, doesn't show a lack of competence IMO.

It's shit for those caught up in it, but everyone knows there's a risk in travelling aboard during the pandemic, and things can change suddenly, it's a risk people take.
I think you're right, BUT...given the horribly inept way that this government has handled things so far, it's not a great surprise that any of the imperfections inherent in the system (suddenly having to change international traffic flows due to the appearance of a new variant, for example :hmm:) will tend to look like just another example of their incompetence, even if on this occasion, it's not entirely, or even slightly, down to that incompetence.

FWIW, even though there is not much different that they could have done at this point, I am very pessimistic that they will break with tradition and suddenly handle this new challenge effectively, or well.

Hope he is nagged kindly. At his age it’s mostly a matter of protecting others.
He's a strong healthy lad so I would imagine little to no personal risk but he does have plenty of elderly relatives. FiL is in great shape for his age but he is nearly 90. I don't know why he has refused the vax possibly just teenage stubborness rather than any crackpot notions. He does tend to listen to his aunts (and indeed pretty much anyone) rather than his parents.

Yeah, I do see your point, and I'm an advocate for scientific consensus being followed, and I've chosen to risk it admittedly. That said, given there was never previously isolation until to your day 2 PCR came back and they'd moved from PCR to LFT, I'd considered the worst case would be back to as it was, which was a day 2 PCR and isolate if needed. LFTs instead of PCRs came into effect on 24th October, I booked our trip a month later, last week, and the rules change to PCR plus isolation tomorrow.

Still, my risk, and as I said it's a first world problem

Last edited:
I think you're right, BUT...given the horribly inept way that this government has handled things so far, it's not a great surprise that any of the imperfections inherent in the system (suddenly having to change international traffic flows due to the appearance of a new variant, for example :hmm:) will tend to look like just another example of their incompetence, even if on this occasion, it's not entirely, or even slightly, down to that incompetence.

FWIW, even though there is not much different that they could have done at this point, I am very pessimistic that they will break with tradition and suddenly handle this new challenge effectively, or well.

I think whilst it’s politically attractive to blame the government for everything, the reality is that nobody is doing much better. For example, we have Harry moaning on this thread about sudden changes, and Cloo on another one complaining that the reaction isn’t fast enough :D

At the end of the day, in the current climate, anyone booking overseas travel, wherever they are and wherever they going, has to accept that there are enormous risks that your trip will be cancelled or you might get stuck somewhere. Things will be like that for quite a while.

I think whilst it’s politically attractive to blame the government for everything, the reality is that nobody is doing much better. For example, we have Harry moaning on this thread about sudden changes, and Cloo on another one complaining that the reaction isn’t fast enough :D

At the end of the day, in the current climate, anyone booking overseas travel, wherever they are and wherever they going, has to accept that there are enormous risks that your trip will be cancelled or you might get stuck somewhere. Things will be like that for quite a while.
Yep. I think it's not helped by the (natural) tendency for people to seek "normal", and draw a straight line from where we are to where they want it to be, hence jumping onto planes and going on holiday just as soon as they are "allowed" to.

I don't diagree apart from 'moaning' :D

BIL is on his way back on Amsterdam leg of flight - they have actually moved the 'hotel quarantine' deadline back from 4am this morning to 4am tomorrow IIRC, so in theory he could isolate at home. I'm not sure what he's decided to do - he may take hotel option given he has a public health job and it may be the right thing to do from a professional standpoint.

I don't think anyone was complaining about sudden changes, everyone knows they're to be expected, but we have had quarantine hotels before and I'm just suprised there's no drop down option for 'The status of the country I was in changed after I travelled' when having to take quarantine hotel space at least?

they have actually moved the 'hotel quarantine' deadline back from 4am this morning to 4am tomorrow IIRC

Not according to the government's website, it's still from 4am yesterday, I think you are confusing it with the requirement to take a PCR test if returning for non-red list countries, that comes in tomorrow from 4am.

I had to make the shitty decision a few weeks back of whether to come back to the UK for the funeral of one of my best mates and risk having to end up in quarantine in another mate's spare room if I failed the pre-flight PCR test for the return leg - I dithered for more than a week because of Britain's stupidly high COVID rate, finally bought a ticket, then got cold feet and tried to cancel when I realised that flights around the holidays had filled up so much that testing positive could have left me stranded for several weeks.

The airline's "Book with peace of mind and cancel anytime for a full refund as a travel credit" offer turned out to be a bit of a mirage and I paid a couple of hundred pounds to reschedule for March - the rise of Omicron might make that journey unfeasible as well.

So yeah, not the best time to travel...

Yep. I think it's not helped by the (natural) tendency for people to seek "normal", and draw a straight line from where we are to where they want it to be, hence jumping onto planes and going on holiday just as soon as they are "allowed" to.

And I don't blame them for that either. I'm supposed to be going to Norway at the end of next week so that's in serious jeopardy now. When I booked it 3 months ago, I considered that this could happen and made sure that everything was refundable up until the day before we left (I think we might lose the flight costs if they're not actually cancelled but was ok with that). I know it's an unpopular opinion round here but I don't think people should be condemned for doing what they're allowed to as soon as possible. The world could lock-down until Covid isn't a problem but there'd be little left afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom